Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Leftover chocolate cake crumbs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alana

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:26 pm    Post subject: Leftover chocolate cake crumbs Reply with quote

Hi,

I made a chocolate cake and have a few cups of leftover cake crumbs (the cake didn't actually bake properly and crumbled instantly, but the chunks tasted fine!). What can I do with leftover cake crumbs? They're in the freezer for now. I was thinking of a trifle, but I wondered if they could be used as part of a cheesecake crust (maybe if I mixed them with ground cookies)?

Any other ideas would be welcome, although I'm not too keen on cake crumb truffles (which I've seen on the internet).
gingerpale

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alana-- I had a big cake bungle yesterday too. FORGOT THE SUGAR.
So, with a frozen portion of cake crumbs I can relate. Sure, mix it in with any chocolate-friendly dessert (watch the amount, of course, if the proportion will ruin a balance in the dish).

I tried (1st time!) the "Turkish Orange Cake" shown here
http://chocolateandzucchini.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1497&highlight=turkish+orange+cake

but left out the sugar. Luckily I discovered that if I split each slice horizontally and sprinkle it liberally with powdered sugar, it's delicious. (It already had powdered sugar on top.)

You could make almost any sweet crust or topping with chocolate cake crumbs, you know if you don't do it you'll have a sad sack of anonymous brown stuff in the freezer in a month or two..
Alana

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made the melt-in-your-mouth chocolate cake that was originally a Trish Deseine recipe. I've made it before (the miniature chocolate-chilli version) and it was smooth and delicious but this time (whole cake version) it came out extremely grainy. It was very dry but also bizarrely undercooked; it never set in the oven and the sugar was still grainy as opposed to dissolved. It was a truly strange experience. I troubleshooted online and discovered that this happens occasionally.

Once crumbled up the cake itself tasted fine (the crumbling disguised the gritty texture). I think I might try it as the base for a banana cheesecake...
Rachel

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have any crumbs left over after the cheesecake, you could probably make a particularly decadent crumble with them (pears would be my vote for the fruit underneath)...
dory

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if the crumbs would be good mixed into slightly softened vanilla ice cream? It could be like a cookie crumb ice cream. IF you crisped the crumbs in the oven first they might be even better.

Dory
Mmel'ours

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or you could make a chocolate blackout cake. Make another chocolate cake with chocolate frosting and press the crumbs into it. Or mix the crumbs into coffee ice cream. Or..oh the possibilities are endless. Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: