Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Cream cheese frosting recipe?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LGT

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 9:56 pm    Post subject: Cream cheese frosting recipe? Reply with quote

Hello all, I don't know if anyone can help with this - I'm baking a wedding cake and am looking for a reliable and stable cream cheese frosting for the exterior of the cake. I have tried Rose Levy Beranbaum's much-vaunted White Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting, which I thought would work perfectly, and it was disastrous....the mixture separated and could not be rescued, no matter what I did. The resultant frosting didn't taste too bad, but I could tell it would be too sweet even if the texture had turned out right.

Is anyone able to recommend a tried-and-tested cream cheese frosting recipe suitable for covering the outside of a 3-tier carrot cake? If not, can anyone suggest a reliable, stable white/ivory/cream frosting that will hold up well in warmish weather and would be suitable for carrot cake? (I will not be piping fiddly decorations and am not looking for a perfectly smooth finish by any means)

Any suggestions much appreciated!

Many thanks in advance, LGT
Rachel

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't vouch for its ability to cover a 3-tier cake, but the cream cheese frosting for Rose Bakery's carrot cake (in the Rose Bakery cookbook) is delicious and not too sweet. It might be worth a try... good luck!
georgia

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my tried and true. Easy and delicious. It does hold up over a couple of days, though I've never made it in huge quantities. It's very simple: 2 8-oz pkgs cream cheese, 1 stick unsalted butter, 1 tsp vanilla, 2-2/1 cups sifted confectioner's sugar. Cream the first two about 3 minutes until fluffy, add the last and beat until of frosting consistency (just until smooth).

You might try it in this quantity and see if you can multiply the amounts to suit your purpose. This frosts 24+ cupcakes or a double layer cake. Good luck.
georgia

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LGT...I just noticed that you are in the UK. I'm wondering if we get the same kind of cream cheese...also, that may be the answer as to why your frosting was a disaster. Be sure that you are using the kind of cream cheese called for in the recipe. "Natural" cream cheese, while delicious, may not have the stabilizers that a product like Kraft Cream Cheese or its UK equivalent includes. That would make a big difference to the recipe.

The recipe I offered is made with Kraft Philadelphia Cream Cheese.
LGT

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks Rachel and Georgia.

Rachel - a friend of mine has the Rose's Bakery cookbook (is it the one called Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, or similar?) so I will ask her to look up the recipe for me.

Georgia I am currently using a supermarket own-brand cream cheese (mainly because it's cheaper than Philadelphia!) with which I have had varied results in the past - I have just bought some more in so will try your recipe using it, and if I have no luck I will try it with Philadelphia. How soft do you let your butter and cream cheese before beating/creaming? Do you use a stand mixer? (I only have a hand mixer)

Many thanks in advance - advice much appreciated! LGT
georgia

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LGT, no reason not to use your supermarket brand if it works and it tastes good. I grew up on Philly Cream Cheese, so that's what I use.

I let the cheese and butter come to room temperature to soften a bit and make it easier to beat them. And, yes, I use a stand mixer, but I can't see why a hand mixer wouldn't work. It might just take a bit longer. Also, I would think you'd only be able to do one recipe's worth at a time. (Large amount + hand mixer = more trouble than you want!)

By the way, you can make this ahead a day or so and keep in the refrigerator. It remains spreadable. If it gets too hard in your frig, leave it out for a few minutes and give it another whip with the mixer (I don't have this problem, but your ingredients may behave differently.) Which reminds me--and you surely know this already, but just in case--any cake or dessert with this frosting must be kept refrigerated because of the butter and cheese. Certainly it will be fine for the duration of the event (i.e. wedding), but overnight, etc., it must be chilled.

After you make a trial batch, do let us know how you like it, whether it works for you, etc. To each his own, so if it's not right for you, don't hesitate to say so...Good luck.
LGT

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for your replies everyone - much appreciated. I have been experimenting and have found a mascarpone & cream cheese frosting that has mixed well, gone on well and held up well so I think this will probably be the final version.

Georgia, I would normally agree completely that a cream-cheese-frosted cake should be refridgerated overnight but I left this small trial version, with the mascarpone & cream cheese frosting on, out over two consecutive nights and it seemed to hold up fine. My kitchen is fairly cool (that's the UK for you!) so I think I'm just going to have to hope for the best! I do have a cellar I could put it in if it gets too warm the day before the wedding, though.

Thanks once again for your advice and support, everyone!
schalowitz

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LGT wrote:
Many thanks for your replies everyone - much appreciated. I have been experimenting and have found a mascarpone & cream cheese frosting that has mixed well, gone on well and held up well so I think this will probably be the final version.

Can you post the final recipe? I'd be interested in trying it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: