Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Accommodation in Paris (apartments?)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Paris & France
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lucia

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:25 am    Post subject: Accommodation in Paris (apartments?) Reply with quote

Hello

Please can anyone recommend to me the most reasonable way of staying in a good central area of Paris for 1-2 weeks. I am wondering whether it would work out cheaper to rent an apartment, rather than to stay in a hotel. Does anyone know good short-term lets in Paris?

Thank you!

Lucia
clotilde
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forums, Lucia !

The "cheaper or not cheaper" question is all relative because it depends on the apartment you'd rent and the hotel you'd choose, but I think renting an apartment is a lovely way to experience Paris.

If you're interested in food -- I assume you are if you're here Smile -- you'll likely want to sample some of the goods you'll find at green markets and specialty shops, and having a kitchen (even a really basic one) with a fridge will allow you to do that. You'll also save a lot of money by not eating out at every meal, yet still eat wonderfully at every meal!

A friend of mine who comes to Paris regularly has had good success renting apartments through VRBO, which lists apartments rented by individuals, rather than an agency. (I've used the site myself to rent an apartment in Kyoto, but not Paris, obviously. Smile)
Lucia

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Clotilde

Thank you so much. This looks fantastic and there are some very good value studios on there. I'm looking for something central, but I don't mind how simple. I'm also looking for apartments in Provence and San Francisco for future trips, so this site would be perfect for that too.

Does anyone on here have experience of flat swaps?

I'm planning to do a cordon bleu course while I'm in Paris, but will post separately about that.

Thank you!

Lucia
clotilde
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny, I thought about suggesting that as well and forgot as I was typing!

I've done apartment swaps twice (once in SF and once in Tokyo) and *loved* the experience -- not just the free accommodation benefit, but also feeling right at home in someone else's space, and preparing my home for someone else to enjoy.

I'd do it again at the first opportunity, though I should note that in both cases the people I swapped apartments with were not complete strangers, but rather acquaintances or friends of friends. But I know several people who have swapped apartments through apt swap sites and have only had happy experiences.
Lucia

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Clotilde. I've always felt nervous of letting someone I don't know stay in my flat, but the fact that you get free accommodation is very appealing. I wonder whether it's possible for as short a time as 1-2 weeks. If anyone on this site could recommend good flat swap agencies, I'd be very grateful - or anyone in Paris or San Francisco wanting to have a holiday in London (beautiful Primrose Hill) next year, also please get in touch!

Lucia
clotilde
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just adding that I don't think duration is a problem. We've done 2 weeks and 1 week -- it's just a matter of finding someone whose needs match yours in terms of dates and duration.
philippe

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Accommodation in Paris (apartments?) Reply with quote

Paris short term rental
Hi
I am 41 years old and parisian for about the same time.
We recently bought with my wife a very nice flat with a top view on the Dome des Invalides in the 7th arrondissement of Paris, France.
We aim at renting it on a short term basis.
You may have a look at our (home made) website :
http://www.aflattorentinparis.info/
Bye bye
Best regards
Philippe and Sabine
minty

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi !
it might be too late, but I quite often use the chain "Citadines" (belongs to the Ascott Group) when I come to stay in London - the studios or flats are very central, ideally placed really ; the chain is international and I actually have a residence near my Paris flat, and it is ideally situated too.
There are several in Paris .
I've also stayed in the one in Aix, it's nice too ! Wink
Lucia, I sort of agree with you about flat exchanges, but I might be interested in your London flat next year ...I've just come back from an English holiday in Stratford and London
melinda

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have used lodgis.com and been pleased.....my daughter says all the younger set uses airbnb.com (it is owner driven so no agency fees) and it was written up in the ny times recently[/list]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Paris & France All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: