Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Potato Salad
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rainey

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 4:11 am    Post subject: Potato Salad Reply with quote

I know we're ahead of some of you and behind others but the switch has been thrown in LA. It's been genuinely hot the last couple of days. Even if it isn't where you are, Memorial Day is just around the corner so you might as well prepare for BBQs and outdoor eating.

Sooooo, how do you do potato salad? Do you actually have a "recipe"? Or do you eyeball it? I'd love to hear how many possibilities there are for this ubiquitous food.
Barbara

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not heard the expression "eyeball it". But I guess that is what I do. I boil the diced potatoes,soften the chopped onions and just mix it all with bottled mayo (Best Foods - because it's always in the house as one of my children simply cannot live without it), chopped parsley (if I have it in the fridge or sometimes in the garden). When my son makes it he adds bacon to it.
melinda

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I'm strange but I've never been fond of potato salad
Dairy_Queen

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're strange, melinda, than so am I. Potato salad...h-m-m-m....indifferent to it, am I. If it's part of a cook-out that I'm not doing, than I'll eat it, but I've never said, "Damn! That was some powerfully good potato salad!!!"

Potato Salad is HUGE in my part of Michigan, which explains why one of the grocery stores here sells THIRTEEN VARIETIES! Shocked I've had home-made, I've had store bought, I've had mustard, mayonaise, pesto, vinegar, German, Old-Fashioned, etc. I eat it 'cause it's "there", but I never go out of my way to make it or buy it.

Strange I am, too. I'm just not that enamoured with cold potato anything.
Rainey

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you guys don't like it, you don't like it. Fortunatley, there's no need to eat it. But it's popular at my house in the summer!

We had it last night with the brisket I rubbed with Judy's ras-el-hanout (I loved it). And tonight we'll have the leftovers with a chili/lime marinated chicken.
Dairy_Queen

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poor, Rainey. Crying or Very sad Does it help that all my friends like it? No? Oh, well. I'm glad that it's a hit at your house, though. Very Happy
Rainey

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mabbee just my house... I would have thought more people had special recipes.

I'll tell ya what I do: I use red potatoes and leave the skins on (unless it's for company and then I chicken out and peel half the potatoes and pull out any skins that get loose in the dressing). I toss the warm sliced potatoes in a vinaigrette and put them in the fridge to cool. After they do I put in the aromatics, hard boiled eggs and a dressing of mayo, horseradish sauce and Dijon mustard.

So, how about anybody else's? Falling apart potatoes or slightly undercooked to retain their form? Pickles or no thank you? Mayo or not on your life?
Amber

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love potato salad! When I make it, I don't use a recipe but toss all sorts of things in. However, one thing I always add to the dressing is sour cream, which nobody so far has seemed to mention. Using your own home-made mayonnaise with garlic or lime tastes great. Thinly sliced onion soaked in salted water to soften it or finely sliced shallots... mint... parsely... seeded mustard... even avocado! Make sure it is well seasoned. I think the important thing is to make sure it is flavorsome and that the potato is properly cooked. I'm sure we have all eaten some that is clammy-cold, too undercooked and just coated in that yucky, milky, indescernably-flavoured 'dressing'. I guess I like potato salad because I am infatuated with potato, but it may not be for everyone. =)
Sarape

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of those foods which I think I've only ever eaten outdoors. Potato salad or macaroni salad was always on the menu during the summer cookouts on the back deck.

Like mine with well-cooked potatoes. Though it was not really a favorite food for me. And I've never made it myself. I also don't miss baked beans, the other food always present with potato salad in my family.
rebecca

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "traditional" mayonnaise-based potato salad is not my thing. I prefer hot German potato salad (with lots of vinegar and bacon) or a simple bowl of steamed baby new red potatoes tossed with olive oil, garlic and fresh herbs. I'm not sure if the latter actually qualifies as a potato salad; but it has potatoes, it has bits of green, it's salad-esque. Wink
JustMe

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a recipe from an obscure Australian cookbook that is at least 30 years old. I use that recipe: it calls for French dressing and mustard. I love it. I can remember as a teenager my girlfriend's mother used to put chopped dill pickles in hers: I loved it but could never duplicate it.

For a nice taste treat try using potatoes that have been barbecued first.

I also once had a "Greek" potato salad which had feta cheese, tomatoes & cucumbers: very good as well.
Dairy_Queen

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustMe: If you have the time, could you post the French Dressing and the Greek Potato Salad recipes? Ple-e-e-a-s-e!???

It's the mayonaise that bugs me, in potato salad. I just don't like mayo, home-made or store-bought. But, the sound of that French Dressing recipe sounds yummy. And I also LOVE feta cheese!

I'll keep my fingers crossed that you can post one or both recipes! Very Happy
Lady Amalthea

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dary Queen, My partner feels the same way about mayo so I'm hard-pressed to get him to eat ANY cold summery salad (except for tuna salad; don't know why he'll eat mayo in that). I'm gonna second your call for the non-mayo-based potato salad!
Bill

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me the perfect potato salad has no mayo,
Baby new potatoes, steamed until just soft, then tossed in very hot olive oil in a pan with salt and black pepper, straight into a bowl with chopped mint, some more olive oil and favourite vinegar of the moment (presently sherry).
Possible extras: chopped bacon, garlic, and best of all, chopped roasted asparagus and black olives...
birgit

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know two variants of potato salad without mayonnaise. For the typical swabian version you need waxy potatoes (which is important for the consistency), cooked, peeled and sliced (ca. 5 mm slices) when still a bit warm, some hot instant broth which is poured over finely diced onions to soften them, white wine vinegar and white pepper, oil and perhaps some more salt. The consistency of the swabian salad is a bit more liquid than other variations and it is served cold, preferably with swabian ravioli, which are covered with lots of onion rings fried in some butter until nicely golden brown. Yum!

The other variety calls for not so waxy cooked potatoes, cut in rough cubes and combined with a sauce made of hot meat broth poured over finely diced onions, salt and pepper, finely diced gherkins and a bit of their marinating liquid, a spoonful of mustard and oil, some fried diced ham if you like and plenty of chives. If preferred you can put in a little mayonnaise as well. It's served slightly warm. Its consistency is dryier than the swabian version, and it's great served with escalops and cucumber salad.

Altogether it's important to know that potato salad doesn't seem to keep very long, especially after parties on long and sunny afternoons. Everybody tells you here, that it should be eaten as soon as possible (which normally is no probem at all ;o) ...). Putting left overs in the fridge after the party, overnight, as soon as possible, seems to be ok as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: