Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Potato Salad
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sarape

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dawna wrote:
Ah, well, the only herring I've ever had in salad form was pickled. I am, however, very undereducated in the matter of fish.

You're in good company at least. Marylin Monroe to Tony Curtis in the movie Some Like it Hot.

Fancy servingware, candles, and a midnight snack are set out. When she points out a large trophy fish mounted high up on the wall, he pops the cork on the bottle of champagne and explains how the effects of alcohol deflate size:

Joe: It's a member of the herring family.
Sugar: A herring! Isn't it amazing how they get those big fish into those little glass jars?

Joe: They shrink when they're marinated.
VictoriaLH

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 3:46 pm    Post subject: Potato Salad Reply with quote

Bon Jour! I just signed on and here is my 2 cents on potato salad. I make a remoulade sauce, boil fingerling potatoes, add celery, red bell pepper and sweet onion, along with any other crunchy vegetables I have on hand. The remoulade. is a mayonaisse with parsley, capers, cornichons, garlic, dijon mustard, french tarragon, anchovy and a dash of hot sauce. It's delicious!
[/img]
David

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the club Victoria LH! Enjoy your time here. Your remoulade sounds fabulous!
Chicago Bear

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're having a barbeque in our back yard Monday afternoon. I'm going to assign all of the recipes to our neighbors, and we'll have a p.s. tasting. Like the Olympics, the winner will have its national anthem sung. People will want fresh herring, of course.
JustMe

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh....me, too! me, too! Chicago is only an 8 hour drive from here!
Chicago Bear

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone who is willing to make an 8-hour drive, or to fly from Europe, is welcome to come!
David

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chicago Bear----that is such a neat idea!!!
Katrina

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with those of you who don't like mayonnaise...and for some reason, eating anything with mayonnaise while sitting in the sun is a recipe for a headache.

my favorite potato salad recipe has olive oil and white wine vinegar, as well as shallots and chopped mint leaves (a really nice touch)

i hope everyone has a great memorial day weekend!
Dairy_Queen

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrMell wrote:
We almost never eat white potatoes any more (we both get a miserable sugar crash from them) so I've been experimenting with sweet potatoes. I really like this salad; slice and steam a couple of large sweet potatoes, toss hot potatoes in dressing made of 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard, 4 teaspoons white-wine vinegar, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 cup olive oil. Add about 4 thinly sliced scallions.

Now we're talkin'! I am planning on trying this version this weekend...I am passionate about sweet potato anything! Thanks for posting such an interesting recipe, DrMell.
mary g

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 4:21 pm    Post subject: more potato salad Reply with quote

I am a big potato salad fan, and I have 2 that I make. One is my mother's recipe. I had to reconstruct it, since I neglected to ask for it before she died (along with a number of other favorites). She marinated the still warm potatoes in French dressing (the orange kind from Kraft), then mixed them with chopped hard boiled eggs, chopped green onions and green olives, and mayonnaise to taste. A very '50s kind of recipe that tastes much better and more complex than the ingredients suggest. Better the 2nd day.
The other is one I threw together one day, turned out so well I've been making it ever since. Just potatoes boiled in their skins (sometimes I peel them, sometimes not), tossed while warm with olive oil and lemon juice and dried tarragon, plus a little sea salt and freshly ground pepper. Sometimes I add chives when I have it fresh from the garden.
JustMe

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: more potato salad Reply with quote

mary g wrote:
She marinated the still warm potatoes in French dressing (the orange kind from Kraft), then mixed them with chopped hard boiled eggs, chopped green onions and green olives, and mayonnaise to taste.
This sounds like the one I make from an obscure Australian cookbook I bought centuries ago except I don't have green olives. Mine also calls for mustard mixed in with the mayo. I think the French dressing that is called for is actually not a Kraft kind of dressing but that is what i use as well. The salad has a very orangey colour but it is my favourite.
DrMell

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm cooking dinner for a crowd soon and thought I'd do my pulled pork BBQ, a vinegary slaw (no mayo), and a potato salad. Ina Garten's french potato salad sounds great, but do ya'll think that would that be too much vinegar along with the slaw?
Chicago Bear

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a minute, here. I'd desperately like to know how to do the pulled pork BBQ. I have never met any form of pork that I didn't like.
DrMell

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chicago Bear: I use a pork shoulder, rub with olive oil and a generous dusting of your favorite BBQ rub (I use Stubb's). Let it sit for a while, then brown (I do it on the gas grill on medium indirect heat, but you could do it in the oven). Once it gets nicely browned, put it into a roasting pan with 1/2 cup of water, cover tightly with foil, put into a 250 degree oven, and go to bed. In the morning your kitchen will smell heavenly and the pork will be ready -- just cool a bit and shred with a fork. Serve with your favorite BBQ sauce on the side.
Chicago Bear

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrMell, I really appreciate your sharing! With the fourth of July rapidly approaching, this could be a serious hit with the neighbors. Best of all, it looks like it falls within my skill level. I'm particularly good at the going to bed part of the recipe.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: