Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Potato Salad
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrMell--the oil and the chicken stock seem to knock out any "vinegariness" in Ina Garten's potato salad----but if not sure why not just knock a small one together a a dry run. I'm sure you'll like it.

Chicago bear--I love your sense of humour man!
Rainey

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrMell-That pulled pork sounds easy and delicious. And I'm with ChiBear -- I'm crazy about pork. Only thing is they've made it so lean that I, typically brine mine first. But you didn't mention it. You think the long, slow cooking makes brining unnecessary?
JustMe

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chicago Bear: did I miss your synopsis of your potato salad competition?
Debbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good morning!

Just had to share.... I had the most deicious potato salad yesterday. It was at a really grotty looking cafe in the 15th and from the outisde, the sort of place you would NEVER be game enough to eat at. My friend insisted that the food was good and he has eaten there numerous times with his partner. Took a deep breath and went inside, to be confronted with the tackiest most kitsch caf you have ever seen in your life. It was fabulous. Once I stopped giggling I noticed that it was quite clean inside.

The potato salad was boiled potato (cubed and peeled) served with heaps of fresh parsley that was roughly chopped and in a dressing that was olive oil with a hint of lemon and possibly (judging by colour not by taste) a mustard. There was also a tiny hint of garlic and the salad contained a small amount of onion. This was served on a plate of sliced fresh tomato. The olive oil was a delicious greeny coloured tasty one, and it was perfect served with the tomato.

Will definately be going back to this cafe. They had other versions of potato salad which I must sample - purely so I can post the results here of course......
DrMell

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rainey, the pork shoulder cuts seem to have enough fat -- no brining necessary. But that reminds me of another favorite pork recipe. This brine is wonderful! The rest of the recipe I fudge on -- thicker chops, another rub, brush with my favorite sauce ..... mmmmm, pork!!

Coffee and Molasses-Brined Pork Chops
From Cooking Light

Coffee adds a background flavor that helps bring out the sweet yet bitter undertone of the molasses. This brine is also excellent with chicken thighs and drumsticks, and pork or beef ribs. Use any type of hardwood chips if hickory is not available.

2 cups water
1 1/2 cups chilled strong brewed coffee
1/4 cup kosher salt (such as Diamond Crystal)
3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
2 tablespoons molasses
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 cup ice cubes
4 (6-ounce) bone-in center-cut pork chops (about 1/2 inch thick)
1 cup hickory wood chips
1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
8 teaspoons Pepper-Garlic Spice Rub
Cooking spray

Combine first 6 ingredients in a large bowl, stirring until salt and sugar dissolve. Pour salt mixture into a large zip-top plastic bag. Add ice and pork; seal. Refrigerate for 3 hours, turning the bag occasionally.
Soak wood chips in water 1 hour. Drain well.

Prepare grill for indirect grilling, heating one side to medium-high and leaving one side with no heat.

Place wood chips on hot coals. Remove pork from bag; discard brine. Pat pork dry with paper towels. Sprinkle 1/8 teaspoon salt over pork. Rub 8 teaspoons Pepper-Garlic Spice Rub evenly over both sides of pork. Place pork on grill rack coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat; grill 2 minutes on each side. Place pork on unheated side of grill; grill 3 minutes on each side or until done. Remove from heat. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 chop)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES 254(31% from fat); FAT 8.7g (sat 3g,mono 3.9g,poly 0.9g); PROTEIN 37.7g; CHOLESTEROL 107mg; CALCIUM 50mg; SODIUM 584mg; FIBER 3.1g; IRON 1.8mg; CARBOHYDRATE 3.8g

Bruce Aidells
Cooking Light, JUNE 2004
DrMell

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you David! LOL Chicago Bear!
Chicago Bear

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chicago Bear: did I miss your synopsis of your potato salad competition?

The potato salad competition fizzled, because I could not control my neighbors. They had no enthusiasm for the competition, although one said that he would have taken part in a beer tasting competition.
That's the problem with Americans. We don't like competition unless we can win, or at least, think we can win.
I should have approached this like the French, who would have had a potato salad fete, which is appealing and superfically noncompetitive.
Rainey

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno if it's Americans or your neighborhood or mine, but the same thing happened several years ago when I suggested it for the opening ceremonies for our local soccer league....

Next time I'm in Chicago (never been and always wanted to see it) or you're in LA you and I can fete our little asses off. ...or on as the case may be and eating potato salad may make it. Wink

There have been a lot of intriguing things to try posted here and I'm grateful to everyone who expanded my horizons!
JustMe

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chicago Bear wrote:
The potato salad competition fizzled, because I could not control my neighbors. They had no enthusiasm for the competition, although one said that he would have taken part in a beer tasting competition.
Oh well, you can't pick your neighbours but you can pick your friends! Surprised

I think that's why I enjoy this forum so much (and blogging in general) you get connected with people with the same interests as yourself. Who knows if we would all be compatible in real life but our food discussions are wonderful.

Rainey: I have had the pleasure of going to Chicago several years ago. I just loved it! My friend & I stayed with her aunt & she (her aunt) showed us all around & took us to some amazing dining places. We had lunch at the Russian Tea Room just a short way from the Art Gallery, dinner at an incredible Mediterranean restaurant (can't remember the name) and fabulous mussels at an Irish pub. There was also a wonderful bakery close to her aunt's place (the name escapes me). So, Rainey, shall I meet you in Chicago and we'll go to Chicago Bear's potato salad fete?
Rainey

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustMe wrote:
So, Rainey, shall I meet you in Chicago and we'll go to Chicago Bear's potato salad fete?

That sounds FABULOUS to me. Unfortunately, it sounds a tad on the suicidal side to my wallet. But let's keep meeting here on a regular basis and dreaming about meeting everyone face to face some day! Wink
VictoriaLH

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 6:34 pm    Post subject: potato-y Reply with quote

I just made some potato salad last night with some VERY overpriced potatoes I bought at the farmers market here. They were lovely mixed fingerling potatoes in red, dark blue, blush and gold, but once I had bagged them up and was ready to pay, it came to $7.00 for about a pound. Yeesh. But they made good salad, along with some lightly blanched snap peas, vidalia onion, celery, cornichons, and a very light remoulade. I know many of you don't like a mayonaisse based dressing, I think the secret is a very light touch with it. Too many potato salads are just swimming in it, and I hate those as well. I like just the merest hint of dressing.
JustMe

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rainey wrote:
That sounds FABULOUS to me. Unfortunately, it sounds a tad on the suicidal side to my wallet.
***Sigh** I have a daughter going to university this year...I don't think I'll ever have any spare cash again! Sad

Last time I went to Chicago I drove...8 hour drive split between 2 of us, so a whole day there and a whole day back. It wa spring, though, and the weather was good. NYC is about the same distance (I think). I keep collecting travel points but I never seem to get even close to the amount I need for a round trip ticket. Oh well, dreaming is always good. Victoria, you've made me hungry again!
Chicago Bear

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also a wonderful bakery close to her aunt's place (the name escapes me).

That's it!! No one gets to come to the potato salad fete who can't remember his own aunt's name.
VictoriaLH

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you can all stop in at my place on the way down from Canada, we are about 3 hours north of Chicago. Less or more depending on what part of the city. I am a native of the south burbs of Chi myself, moved north for college and stayed here for love. Bring potato salad!
JustMe

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chicago Bear wrote:
That's it!! No one gets to come to the potato salad fete who can't remember his own aunt's name.
Hey....I meant I can't remember the name of the bakery...not the aunt! And besides....she's not my aunt. Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: