Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

What is YOUR meaning of fine dining?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Around the world on a zucchini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bluebeary

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:13 pm    Post subject: What is YOUR meaning of fine dining? Reply with quote

I'm pretty crazy about top-notch food and fine dining restaurants. As a researcher in the food service industry, I've focused my research on this field. So far, I got some quite varied and sometimes contrary views on what fine dining means to the individual, ranging from "expensive and overpriced", through "stiff ambience" to "two-hour vacation from a busy day". Obviously, this is a quite controversial issue for some.

So I thought it might be pretty interesting to see what a bunch of foodies has to say to this topic. What is your personal meaning of fine dining? And what do you personally associate with it?

Looking forward to your posts Smile
minty

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi !
I don't know exactly what you want ; is it a definition ?
for me, fine dining would mean first , a decor , not particularly opulent or ornate , or even classy, but a restaurant room (or an individual, actually) where the tables are nicely set, with cutlery and silverware that are pleasing to the eyes, paintings, curtains, and furniture not too loud or overbearing, but harmonious .
then, good service - if in a restaurant - meaning polite but not obsequious staff. You don't have to wave your hands like you're drowning to catch their attention, but they 're not "dining with you" either ...
also, they need to be professional - for instance, they know the composition of the dishes, but they don't lose themselves and you in lengthy descriptions of the dishes ; you know, the kind of description that goes “ wind of the sea on a bed of wild life in an ethereal sauce” to describe a cod fillet on spinach…
the chef has to be able to accommodate your needs – if needed, they can do “without salt, without dressing, etc…”
the food has to be of good quality, not too complicated so you can’t taste the product, but not too simple that you wonder why you’re paying 50 £ for a single Dover sole fillet on a white plate…
finally, you can enjoy this dinner with good friends or alone – even with a good book !

I’m sorry if this seems a bit confused …I dined a few days ago in one of the top Japanese restaurant in Paris, and I tried to sum up what I felt !
Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Around the world on a zucchini All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: