Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Grapefruit ideas

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rachel

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:51 am    Post subject: Grapefruit ideas Reply with quote

I have a colleague who has a tremendously green thumb and is very generous. Lately she's been bringing grapefruit from her own tree into work.

Before now, grapefruit was something I would buy one of, once in a blue moon, halve, section and eat for breakfast. Now that I have several in my fridge, with the promise of more to come, it seems a shame to be so uncreative. If anyone has a favorite grapefruit recipe to share, I'm all ears!
clotilde
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could make any recipe that requires citrus, and I'm thinking grapefruit curd or grapefruit sorbet (or granita) would be lovely.

Grapefruit segments go really well on salads, too, and I remember having this salad that was garnished with grapefruit "pops", which were whole segments of grapefruit dipped in caramel so as to form a thin crackly shell around them. Very pretty and very good, as the caramel played off the slight bitterness of the grapefruit.

In keeping with the savory theme, grapefruit is great with avocado, and also shellfish (crab, lobster, shrimp), though naturally that wouldn't be vegetarian.

Also, I've tasted (though not made) a tart garnished with grapefruit, pears and pistachios, so perhaps that could inspire you.

Other interesting flavor matches to think about for grapefruit are green tea and/or ginger...

Lots to explore, lucky you!
David

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grapefruit sorbet was the first thing that popped into my mind too. Delicious and different!
Rachel

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, thank you! That should keep me going for quite a while. The avocado pairing particularly appeals - now I know what I'm getting at the farmer's market tomorrow.

Clotilde, that tart wouldn't be from Aurore-Capucine, would it? It sounds very familiar...
gingerpale

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I make this once or twice a year, and am *always* surprised at how good, and different, it is. Grapefruit Yogurt Cake --
http://smittenkitchen.com/2007/01/cake-paradisi/

I agree with the avocado suggestion--the two together are just
right! Grapefruit is tasty with a little bit of salt sprinkled on it, not just sugar.
I made a grapefruit meringue pie once (trying to mimic a lemon meringue), but it was a disappointment.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: