Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

translation assistance-courgette violon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LauraN10

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:08 pm    Post subject: translation assistance-courgette violon Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm working on the translation update for Larousse Gastronomique and a recipe calls for courgette violon. Does anyone know the English equivalent? Can't find it anywhere! Or at least a description as to why a recipe would specify this type? Would be most grateful.
Laura
clotilde
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Laura, and welcome to the forums!
I had never heard of the courgette-violon, but after a brief research, it seems to be a popular variety in Provence, that is supposedly more flavorsome than the ordinary courgette, and also called courgette-trompette. Here's a picture I found: http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1275/1167501263_0c9581a177_o.jpg . I can't, however, offer an English equivalent.
Clotilde.
LauraN10

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:23 pm    Post subject: thanks! Reply with quote

Hi Clotilde,

Thanks so much, this one really stumped me and I couldn't find any photos myself. Have a look at this link, I found it in a seed catalogue and I think that's as close as I can get in English.

Once again, thanks.

http://www.gourmetseed.com/squash_zucchini_seed.0.html
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome Laura!

am now imagining a violon chocolat Wink
Guillo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Laura!
A courgette trompette is basically an elongated zucchini... nothing too special about it other than the shape. You can use your regular sold-on-america zucchini on any recipe and it won't be a big problem.
I never quite understood why they call it violon as well as trompette... closest I can get is the violon bow, cause they certainly don't look like the violon itself.

And clotilde, I love your blog! That's an awsome pic... some LONG zucchini there!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: