Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Recipe ideas for savory bread pudding?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shut Up And Cook

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:22 pm    Post subject: Recipe ideas for savory bread pudding? Reply with quote

In an effort to clean out my fridge and cupboards...this week is leftover week. Thinking I'll do a savory bread pudding tonight...and I'd like it to perhaps include sage, figs, and walnuts.

Anyone have any good recipes for at least a basic savory bread pudding I can then modify?

Thanks!

www.TheAttainableGourmet.com
dory

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can people tell I am procrastinating starting a writing project today (all of my lengthy posts)? I found this pretty good looking recipe from Gourmet magazine on Epicurious.com. I, myself, would use fresh spinach or even fresh chard which I like even better rather than frozen spinach, which I detest. (I hate slimy over-boiled frozen spinach, which I think is why so many children hate an otherwise innocent and delicious vegetable.) I would also probably add fresh mushrooms. You, Shut UP -- sorry, I couldn't resist!!--of course, will have fun playing with it, and I might even see your improved version back here. I am very interested in the idea of a savory bread pudding, but being married to a South American who hates the very idea of anything even remotely casserole, I have been a bit hesitant to try. There is a work in Colombian Spanish for any kind of "mixed up" food-- masacote-- although I have never seen it written, so the spelling might be wrong. It means, roughly, mixed up mess, and shows a strong cultural preference for separate and distinct piles of food on the plate as opposed to stews and casseroles, meaning that I often wait for guests before trying any kind of gratin, casserole or stew, unless it is very carefully labeled for the wife only, or, very carefully, if the gratin contains only one kind of vegetable.

Spinach and Gruyère Strata from Gourmet, 2003

yield: Makes 6 to 8 servings
active time: 30 min
total time: 10 hr

ingredients
1 (10-oz) package frozen spinach, thawed
1 1/2 cups finely chopped onion (1 large)
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
8 cups cubed (1 inch) French or Italian bread (1/2 lb)
6 oz coarsely grated Gruyère (2 cups)
2 oz finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano (1 cup)
2 3/4 cups milk
9 large eggs
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
print a shopping list for this recipe

preparation
Squeeze handfuls of spinach to remove as much liquid as possible, then finely chop.
Cook onion in butter in a large heavy skillet over moderate heat, stirring, until soft, 4 to 5 minutes. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and nutmeg and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Stir in spinach, then remove from heat.
Spread one third of bread cubes in a buttered 3-quart gratin dish or other shallow ceramic baking dish and top evenly with one third of spinach mixture. Sprinkle with one third of each cheese. Repeat layering twice (ending with cheeses).
Whisk together milk, eggs, mustard, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a large bowl and pour evenly over strata. Chill strata, covered with plastic wrap, at least 8 hours (for bread to absorb custard).
Preheat oven to 350°F. Let strata stand at room temperature 30 minutes.
Bake strata, uncovered, in middle of oven until puffed, golden brown, and cooked through, 45 to 55 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Cooks' note:
• Strata can be chilled up to 1 day. Let stand at room temperature 30 minutes before baking.
Shut Up And Cook

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dynamite.....THANK YOU!!!!

www.TheAttainableGourmet.com
dory

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have actually been reading your blog. I also found interesting instructions for a very basic savory bread pudding in the cookbook "How to Eat Supper" by Lynn Rosetto Kaspar and Sally Swift, of the Splendid Table radio program. THis is a book I recommend, and I also recommend the radio broadcasts, which Wisconsin Public Radio discontinued, but which I now listen to on the internet.

Dory
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: