Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Ice Cream
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rainey

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 1:02 am    Post subject: Ice Cream Reply with quote

I've been having a lot of fun (and gaining several unneeded pounds) making ice cream. I started with the banana ice cream I posted about elsewhere. Then I moved onto the Caramel, Pecan and Chopped Chocolate that the Amateur Gourmet tricked me into making. http://www.amateurgourmet.com/the_amateur_gourmet/2005/05/i_say_unto_you_.html

After they disappeared overnight, I made Strawberry Cheesecake from the new Gourmet cookbook. Hey, I bought too many fresh strawberries and we couldn't eat them fast enough so I HAD to... When my daughter sampled the soft, newly frozen ice cream she said it needed some graham cracker crumbs to "officially" taste like cheesecake. She was right! So we're having it tonight scooped into individual graham cracker crumb tartlette shells I bought at the grocery store. I wish I could have found a white chocolate fudge sauce just for the color contrast. And I would have gotten some fresh strawberries for garnish but then I'd have leftover berries and I'd be making more ice cream or something else naughty.

I'll pay for this, of course, but it's been so hot suddenly and it seemed called for. Besides, it's been delicious and fun. Wink
Bekbeka

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rainey

although it's completely the wrong weather here for ice cream, I've been dreaming for the last few weeks of making this licorice-sambuca ice cream that I read a recipe for....somewhere. Now I'm not sure where I read the recipe - which just gives me another excuse to settle down with the pile of old Cuisine magazines and cook books to find it. But oh, when I find it I'll be happy - who needs hot weather for ice cream?
Rainey

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is that theory that eating/drinking hot in hot weather and cold in cold weather tricks your body into compensating and produces the opposite effect. I dunno if it's valid. But, then, I don't know that we need a better excuse either...

Licorice ice cream? I don't know that it's something that I'd particularly like but what an intriguing idea nonetheless. Wink Do tell me how it works out, won't you?
JustMe

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Licorice ice cream? I don't like black licorice but I love Tiger Tail ice cream which is orange ice cream with black licorice ice cream swirled together.

I have a Donvier ice cream maker (not the kind that needs salt) and I love Coconut ice cream.
Bekbeka

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Licorice ice cream is amazing - I used to waitress in this great restaurant in Christchurch which had a fantastic selection of ice cream kept in an ice cream cabinet at the front of the shop. We could choose something to eat after work every night - and after 6 hours of carting their over-sized white plates up and down stairs, the last thing I could face was real food - so licorice & sambuca ice cream it was. This recipe - once I find it - has very high standards, and 10 years of nostaglia, to live up to.

I do recommend it!
David

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bekbekka if you find that licorice and sambuca ice cream recipe would you please post it, i'm slobbering just thinking about it.
Bekbeka

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David - sure thing...in fact I was last night planning a dinner for when my mother - an amazing & totally formidable cook - visits next weekend, thinking of what simple but tasty things I could make, and decided that licorice ice-cream would be ideal for the finale - so now I have a real incentive to find that recipe. I'll post it as soon as I do.
rebecca

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of my favorite "unusual" flavors of ice cream are pumpkin and green tea. My town has a little ice cream shop that makes and sells its own yummy concoctions. Big Dipper Ice Cream is a must-see if you ever find yourself in Missoula, Montana, USA. In addition to the pumpkin and green tea, they also have cardamon ice cream, saffron ice cream, Irish whiskey ice cream and a mango & habañero sorbet.

I make my own mango and lime sorbet. For those of you who are fans of the mango here it is:

the flesh of 4 mangoes
the juice of 3 limes
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
1 teaspoon salt

In a saucepan bring the water and sugar to a boil and continue boiling for five minutes to make a simple syrup. Let this cool while you are preparing the fruit. Put the peeled mangoes and juiced limes in a food processor or blender and puree. Then add the cooled syrup and the salt and puree until well blended. Pour the sorbet into your favorite ice cream maker and churn according to manufacturer's instructions. Bon appetit!
Dairy_Queen

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, licorice ice cream....it's wonderful taste and odd, gray color still haunt me to this day!

I grew up on a Dairy Farm, and the local milk processing plant had a very small ice cream shop attached to it. This was back in the 50's and they had such flavours as Licorice, Chocolate Banana, Cherry Chocolate Chip; pretty adventuresome, for those days.

I remember the licorice vividly; it was dove gray, with bits of real licorice pieces inside of it. I've never seen or heard of it since, so I, too, am looking forward to the posting of the recipe.

Your fan club awaits your reply, Bekbecka!
Rainey

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys have more adventurous ice cream palates than I do! I'm considering a buttermilk lemon sorbet as soon as we finish the strawberry cheesecake. Meanwhile, we may be in ice cream fatigue as what's left of the strawberry has been in the freezer for going on its third day now....
Chicago Bear

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a really good Italian ice cream maker that has, regrettably, found its way to the basement for lack of use in the past year. Seems like what we need to rehabilitate its usefulness is to get into some more unusual flavors rather than the standard varieties we made. Since my waistline hasn't gotten any smaller with it in the basement, the ice cream maker can't be blamed either for excess past eating or possible future overindulgence.
rebecca

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will have to share the buttermilk lemon sorbet recipe with us! Very Happy
Rainey

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here you go in case you can get to it before I do. The recipe is from The Gourmet Cookbook and the comments are theirs.

Lemony, sweet, and refreshingly tart, this sherbet has a silky texture. The flavor of the buttermilk is virtually undetectable, but it plays up the lemon. We've been serving this much-requested dessert for decades, and it's still as fresh as it was in 1968, when we created it for William Taber, who asked for a recipe "just like Mom's" Makes about 1 qt.

Lemon Buttermilk Sherbet

• 2 cups well-shaken buttermilk
• 3/4 cup light corn syrup
• 2 tsp. packed finely grated lemon zest (from 3 med. lemons)
• 1/4 c fresh lemon juice
• 1/4 c sugar
Special equipment: an ice cream maker

Stir together buttermilk, corn syrup, zest, juice and sugar in a bowl until sugar is dissolved. Refrigerate, covered, until cold, at least 2 hours.

Freeze mixture in ice cream maker. Transfer to an airtight container and put in the freezer to harden.

The buttermilk mixture can be refrigerated for up to 24 hours. The sherbet can be made up to 1 week ahead.
Rainey

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rebecca- I didn't know whether it was the buttermilk or the lemon that appealed to you. You might enjoy this one too. It's from Bon Appetit Dec.'04.

I am total agreement with you on pumpkin ice cream, BTW, but I've never had success making it. This, OTOH, was an excellent addition to our Thanksgiving dinner. It went beautifully with apple pie. The flavor was very like eggnog (as I guess you might guess from all those egg yolks, but it took me by surprise).

Nutmeg and Buttermilk Ice Cream makes 2 qts.

• 1 cup buttermilk, chilled
• 12 large egg yolks (I think I may have been able to get just egg yolks at Whole Foods if I can remember correctly)
• 3/4 c granulated sugar (next time I'll substitute brown sugar for part of it)
• 3 c heavy cream
• 1/2 c whole milk
• 1 1/2 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg (I think I used quite a bit more)
• splash of vanilla (can't remember if this was their amount or my improvisation)
• scant 1/8 tsp. salt

Place 3/4 cup of buttermilk in a large bowl; set strainer over bowl. Whisk egg yolks and sugar in heavy, large saucepan until the sugar is almost dissolved. Whisk in the heavy whipping cream, whole milk, nutmeg, vanilla and salt. Using a flat bottomed silicone spoonula, stir over medium-low heat until custard thickens and leaves a path on the back of the spoonula when finger is drawn across, about 11 minutes. Remove custard from heat; stir in the remaining 1/4 cup of buttermilk. Pour custard through the strainer into the bowl with the cold buttermilk. Remove the strainer; stir custard to blend. Refrigerate custard until cold, at least 6 hours. Stir in more nutmeg if desired keeping in mind that freezing the ice cream will mute the flavor.

Process the custard in an ice cream freezer according to the manufacturers instructions. Handling with great care not to contaminate the frozen custard with the salty brine, transfer ice cream to an airtight container. Cover and freeze until firm, at least 6 hours.

Check several hours before serving. If ice cream is very hard, alternate storing it in the fridge and the freezer until it is a scoopable consistency.
creampuff

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any one have a recipe for coconut ice cream or sorbet, the more "natural" the better? My husband has requested same and I can't find an appealing recipe.
Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: