Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Ice Cream
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lady Amalthea

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Green Tea and Red Bean Ice Cream. Never had pumpkin. I think the strangest ice cream I've ever had was Artichoke Ice Cream, at an artichoke festival at an Italian Restaurant in NYC's West Village. Up in Bar Harbor, Maine, there's also an ice cream place that serves Lobster and Butter Ice Cream. Yuck!

I also really like fried ice cream, which I've only ever seen in Sushi restaurants. Does anyone know how to make this? I was thinking it might be a cool way to play up store-bought ice cream if (like me) you don't own an ice cream maker.
birgit

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>fried ice cream

I don't know exactly how to do this, but I guess the secret is a very hot oven or grill. The version I've seen had some kind of sponge mixture on top, which, put under the hot grill, browns faster than the ice cream can melt.
birgit

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found it Very Happy it might be "baked alaska". Here's a link:
http://www.foodreference.com/html/baked-alaska-recipe.html

Last edited by birgit on Sat May 28, 2005 8:59 pm; edited 2 times in total
rebecca

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for both recipes, Rainey. Both the lemon and the buttermilk appealed to me. And eggnog ice cream is divine!
VictoriaLH

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 5:25 pm    Post subject: Ice Cream Reply with quote

This one is a bit more complicated, but I found it when I had to bring the dessert course to a Spanish themed party. The only problem was that everyone's courses were so rich that this one just about killed everyone!
But it was sooo good.
SHERRY CREMA CATALANA ICE CREAM WITH HONEYED FIGS

(Gelat de Crema Catalana i Xerès amb Mel i Figues)

The mellow, almond flavor of Amontillado Sherry works especially well in this rich, creamy dessert.

Active time: 15 min Start to finish: 5 1/2 hr

For ice cream
3 cups half-and-half
4-inch strip fresh lemon zest
4-inch strip fresh orange zest
1/2 cinnamon stick
8 large egg yolks
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup Amontillado Sherry

For figs
12 soft (moist) dried Calimyrna figs (10 oz), tough stems removed and figs halved lengthwise
1 cup Amontillado Sherry
1 cup fresh orange juice
6 tablespoons honey

Garnish: candied orange zest
Make ice cream:
Bring half-and-half with lemon and orange zests and cinnamon stick just to a boil over moderate heat. Cover and let stand off heat 25 minutes, then reheat to a simmer. Discard zests and cinnamon stick.

Whisk together yolks, sugar, and Sherry in a large bowl until smooth. Gradually whisk in hot milk mixture. Transfer custard to cleaned saucepan and cook over moderately low heat, stirring constantly, until thickened enough to coat back of a wooden spoon and an instant-read thermometer registers 170°F.

Pour custard through a fine sieve into a bowl and cover surface with wax paper to prevent a skin from forming. Chill until thoroughly cold, about 3 hours. Freeze in an ice-cream maker. Transfer to an airtight container and freeze until firm.

Make figs:
Bring figs, Sherry, juice, and honey, covered, to a boil in a small saucepan. Simmer, covered, just until figs are tender, about 40 minutes, then uncover and simmer until liquid is reduced to about 1 cup, about 8 minutes. Cool figs in syrup.

Serve ice cream with honeyed figs and syrup.

Cooks' notes:
• Ice cream can be made 3 days ahead.

• You can also prepare figs 3 days ahead and chill, covered.

Makes 6 servings.
Gourmet
March 2000
JustMe

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a link for Licorice Ice Cream & then had to laugh when I read the recipe....here's a cheater's version of Licorice Ice Cream!

Licorice Ice Cream

Let 2 cups vanilla ice cream sit for 30 minutes at room temperature. Combine softened ice cream with 1 Tbsp Sambuca or Pernod and ¼ cup fine chopped black licorice candy. Refreeze for at least 4 hours.

Makes about 2 cups.
Bekbeka

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 9:31 pm    Post subject: Liquorice ice cream /fried ice cream Reply with quote

Hi Dairy_Queen & David

I finally tracked down this recipe - not wanting to disappoint in my promise of a recipe! - typically in the latest issue of Cuisine on my coffee table, after having searched all the back issues where I was so sure it was. I have all the ingredients & will be making it later today so will keep you posted on how it turns out. The photos looks great - not at all the grey someone else talked about. This comes from one of the most long-established 'classic European' restaurants in Auckland where it's apparently been made for 30 -odd years. I take that as a definite vote of approval.

Liquorice ice cream
450 ml water
340 grams sugar
300 grams finely chopped soft liquorice (Black Knight is recommended - if you have this brand)
12 egg yolks
1 litre cream
2 tsp vanilla
1/3 cup sambuca (white or black is ok)

Bring water and sugar to the boil and add liquorice - bring to the boil again, and then simmer until it becomes a syrup - cool it. Beat egg yolks until creamy, whip cream with the vanilla until it has soft peaks. Add the liquorice to the eggs and keep beating slowly - finally, add the sambuca and beat for a further 4 minutes. Carefully fold in the cream, and put into your container to freeze for 24 hours (usually home-made ice cream recipes recommend stirring regularly throughout the freezing process, so I might try this). It is recommended served with almond tuiles and a sambuca-flavoured creme anglaise).
I will keep you posted on how it turns out - this makes enough for 10 servings, but when I suggested being more reasonable in the quantity I was to make, I was talked down by my beloved with the equally sweet tooth....still I'm sure it will be good for several dinners with friends/family - as well as a few prior taste tests.

Fried ice cream
I've eaten this in Chinese restaurants & have - somewhere years ago - read a recipe for it (being intrigued by how it stayed frozen inside). It was a ball of ice cream that had been scooped and then frozen hard, then rolled in something (sugar?), dipped in a sweet batter, and then deep-fried very quickly till the batter was a light golden. The initial dipping was of something I can't quite recall that that allowed the batter to 'grip', and I think it was quite a stiff batter. I don't know how helpful that is for the actual making of it, sorry!
Chicago Bear

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like all of the fried ice cream recipes are variations on the same theme: freeze the ice cream in balls until they're really really hard, roll them in a coating, and then deep fry the balls for about 15 seconds. Here's one recipe:

Another Fried Ice Cream Recipe
that really involves frying
1 pint of vanilla ice cream, do not use a light or diet version since they do not fry well
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
2.5 cups of corn flakes crushed, preferably honey nut
1 teaspoon cinnamon
vegetable oil for deep frying
whipped cream (optional)
chocolate syrup (optional)
4 cherries (optional)

Divide the ice cream into 4 equal portions. Form the ice cream portions into balls. Place them on a freezer safe plate. They should not be touching each other. Return them to the freezer until firm, one hour usually.

In a small bowl beat the egg and vanilla together. In a large plate mix together the cinnamon and corn flakes.

Remove the ice cream balls from the freezer. Dip each ball in the egg mixture and then roll it in the cereal mixture. Return each ball to the freezer for another hour. Do not throw away the remaining egg and cereal mixture.

After one hour remove the balls from the freezer and repeat the dipping and rolling process. Return the freezer and this time leave them there several hours or even over night until frozen solid.

In an electric deep fryer or large pot, heat the oil to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Fry the ice cream balls 1 at a time for fifteen seconds or till golden brown. Do not try to do them all at once. Drain on paper towels and serve immediately. Garnish with whipped cream, chocolate syrup, and cherry as desired.
Rainey

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

creampuff wrote:
Any one have a recipe for coconut ice cream or sorbet, the more "natural" the better? My husband has requested same and I can't find an appealing recipe.
Thanks

These two are from Ben & Jerry's Homemade Ice Cream & Dessert Book and the comments are theirs. I see they don't use any shredded coconut but I'm sure toasted shredded coconut would be wonderful on it.

Sweet Cream Base #1 makes 1 qt.

This is our most popular base, has creamy texture, medium body, and a subtle, understated taste. It's especially good as a background for fruit, cookies, and candy.

• 2 large eggs
• 3/4 c sugar
• 2 c heavy or whipping cream
• 1 c milk

Whisk the eggs in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy, 1-2 minutes. Whisk in the sugar, a little at a time, then continue whisking until completely blended, about 1 min more. Pour in the cream and milk and whisk to blend.

Coconut

Be sure to discard the waxy disk at the bottom of the can of coconut cream. It's edible, but it doesn't combine well with the cream base.

• Sweet Cream Base #1 (above)
• 1 can (15 oz.) coconut cream, such as Coco Lopez.

Prepare the Sweet Cream Base. Add the coconut cream and blend.

Transfer the mixture to an ice cream maker and freeze following the manufacturer's instructions.

Variations: Coconut Almond - Add 3/4 cup roasted whole almonds (salted or unsalted) after the ice cream stiffens (about 2 min. before it's done), then continue freezing until the ice cream is ready.

Coconut Chip - Add 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips after the ice cream stiffens (about 2 min. before it's done), then continue freezing until the ice cream is ready.

Coconut Rum - Whisk 2 tablespoons of rum, preferably dark, into the cream mixture before transferring it to the ice cream maker. Complete the recipe as directed.

Last edited by Rainey on Sat May 28, 2005 1:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Rainey

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want something simpler to do than ice cream, perhaps these will say "Summer" to you.

Fudgecicles

These are just like the ones you loved when you were a kid.

• 4 c milk
• 1/3 c cocoa powder
• 1 can condensed milk

Bring all the ingredients to a boil in a medium saucepan over Medium heat. Put into fridge to cool.

Pour cold mixture into cups or molds. Partially freeze until a stick can be inserted. Return to freezer until solid.
Dairy_Queen

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

creampuff: I don't know what "healthy" ice cream looks like; I mean, is it supposed to have "low fat" or "artificial sweeteners" in it? I don't know.

Anyway, at my girlfriends apartment, I dug around in her very health oriented roomates cookbooks and this was listed as "a healthy, low-fat coconut sorbet." I've never tried it but it might be what you're looking for.

COCONUT SORBET
Coconut milk - 400g (14oz)
Sugar - 3 to 5 tbsp
Vanilla extract - 1/4 teaspoon
Salt - a pinch

Mix all the ingredients well in a large bowl.
Freeze in an ice cream maker, and follow manufacturer instructions.

Here's another one from someone famous Rolling Eyes

ANOTHER COCONUT SORBET

Coconut Sorbet
This luscious recipe comes from Annie Meighan, pastry chef at Elysium in Alexandria.

1 tsp lemon juice
1/4-1/2 tsp French coconut essence*
3 cups heavy coconut milk*
3/4 cup India Tree super-fine white cane sugar*

In a heavy-bottomed pan make a sugar syrup with 3 cups water and the sugar. Start at low heat, then bring to a boil. Boil for a few minutes, then remove pan from heat, cover, and cool syrup to room temperature.
Combine coconut milk with 3 cups sugar syrup, lemon juice, and coconut essence. Mix well, then cover and refrigerate until cold. Transfer the mixture to an ice cream maker and process until the mixture is very white. The sorbet can be eaten right away, but if you prefer a more solid consistency, it will harden in the freezer in about 2 hours.
Annie serves her sorbet with a blackberry compote scented with vanilla, but it is also scrumptious as a topping for grilled pineapple. Layered between coconut tuilles, it makes an ambrosial ice cream sandwich.
*Available from La Cuisine:
David

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bekbeka--thanks for the recipe--greatly appreciated, I have it in my pocket.

And Rainey--the fudgesicle recipe is perfect for the grand-daughter!!
Barbara

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 12:22 pm    Post subject: I found a link for Licorice Ice Cream & then had to laug Reply with quote

Just me - that's my kinda icecream. I use the same idea for our Christmas lunch dessert. I soften 2 litres of vanilla icecream and toss in a crumbled (store bought) Christmas plum pudding, a slosh of Grand Marnier, a handful or red and green cherries - put it into a pudding basin (lined with Clingwrap) and refreeze. Unmould it onto a serving plattter about 20 minutes before serving....this will depend on how hot the day is! Sometimes I drizzle melted chocolate over it. I made this when the boys were children and now they insist on it every year. And you can make it a couple of weeks in advance which is a help at Christmas time.
cocoaloco

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 12:51 pm    Post subject: Sour Cream ice cream Reply with quote

A few years ago, I tried a Gourmet magazine recipe for sour cream ice cream. Tangy and rich, it made for a perfect July dessert when partnered with fresh peach cobbler.

Sour Cream Ice Cream
from Gourmet 1996

2 cups half-and-half
1 cup sugar
1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
8 large egg yolks
2 cups (1 pint) sour cream

In heavy saucepan combine half-and-half, 3/4 cup sugar, and vanilla bean and bring just to a boil. Remove pan from heat. in a bowl whisk together egg yolks and remaining 1/4 cup sugar and hot half-and-half mixture in a stream, whisking. Return custard to pan and cook over moderately low heat, stirring, until 170°F. on a candy thermometer.

Remove pan from heat. Scrape seeds from vanilla bean into custard until combined well and discard pod. Stir sour cream into custard until combined well and strain through a fine sieve into a bowl. Chill custard until cold and freeze in an ice-cream maker.

Makes about 1 quart.
[i][/i]
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love anise ice cream, green tea, chocolate truffle and pumpkin. To me thought the mother of all ice cream is Ben and Jerry's Festivis ice cream made of brown sugar cinnamon ice cream, cinamon caramel and chunks of ginger bread. I wanted to cry when they discontinued it, but I will attempt it at home some time.

"It's hot ham water."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: