Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Ice Cream
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rainey

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chocoloco- That Sour Cream Ice Cream sounds sensational for Summer! Thanks for posting it.

Erin- That B&J Festivus Ice Cream sounds appropriately spicy and wild for Festivus! I've never heard of it but I wish I had gotten to sample it.

I just got a small vat 'o cherries at Costo. Even though my family is now begging me to back off with the *&*^ ice cream, I'm very tempted to experiment with something that was on the cover of a Gourmet or a Bon Appetit a few months ago. They packed ice cream (can't remember what flavor but it was green) around round balls of ganache in a loaf-shaped mold. They served it in slices that had the most whimsical truffle "dots". So I'm thinking mascerated cherries, ganache and mabbee crumbles of shortbread cookies. ...although writing all that out I'm thinking I'll loose the simple, playfulness of the truffles in all that other stuff.

What would you guys recommend: pureeing the cherries so it's chocolate dots in a pink ice cream (maybe I could make shortbread the same size so I could serve a slice on the shortbread), halved cherries and the truffle dots in a vanilla base, or a mad jumble of everything?
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would puree some of the cherries, halve the others and load up the chocolate. Rainey, If Phil ever gets transfered to California I am coming to dinner at your house.
Festivis was only made during December and they discontinued it three or four years ago. I had a customer that worked for B&J's, we had a coffee for ice cream thing going. I was devistated when he gave me the news.

"It's hot ham water."
Rainey

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can understand. BUT, the question is, would he give you the recipe? If not, we can gather 'round the Festivus pole and beat up on him... Wink
Rainey

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops! I missed the opportunity to ask you a technical food question. I know if I'm using strawberries the best way to do it is to macerate them in sugar so that they release water and don't freeze into rock-hard nuggets in the ice cream. What about cherries which are naturally firmer?

If I am already macerating them in kirsch will that draw out water? Or will they incorporate some of the alcohol and, thus, lower their freezing temp? Or should I have used sugar? I didn't think they had as much water to give up as strawberries would have, hence, the choice for alcohol and an additional flavor.
Rainey

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erin- I'm running out for things I forgot to get for dinner but it occurs to me that I missed an opportunity to say there's nothing I can think of that would be more fun than having you for dinner some day. Thing is, you'd as likely get meatloaf and mashed potatoes or pasta & crusty bread or something all mayonnaise-y as something inspired.

I love anything food: the ordinary done authentically & well as much as the exotic. I'm even a sucker for trendy -- so long as there's a reason for everyone being all over whatever it is. I also, especially, love to make something myself to see it from the inside out and be sure I know what the experience as well as the flavor is. This sometimes (well, moment of truth -- I'm an enormously impulsive person -- it frequently) means that I'll go all out on one element of a meal and just let others come together as they may. ...balanced or not; logical or not.

All that said, I'd just love to cook with you. I know I'd learn a lot!
Erin

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love meatloaf! Especially served with buttery mashed potatoes and a lager. I make it every so often for dinner, but the best part is making the sandwiches the next day.
I think you should be alright with the kirsch/cherry combo but I do recommend straining them. One problem with freezing fruit with alcohol is that it tends to drain out. Back before I was in school I injected chocolate covered strawberries with liquor and had the bright idea to freeze them. The result was a sticky mess. I think since they will be blended in you will be safe after straining. Also I imagine the sugar content of the kirsch will help out as well. What a great idea, the kirsch makes it a bit more decadent.

"It's hot ham water."
David

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barbara--will you please please try to repost that christmas ice cream fruitcake etc desert closer to Christmastime! It sounds wonderful and would finish off a heavy meal well----but i just know i'll misplace it if I write it out now---i am not an organized individual by any stretch.

Good to have you back Erin!
Rainey

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erin wrote:
Also I imagine the sugar content of the kirsch will help out as well. What a great idea, the kirsch makes it a bit more decadent.

Well... that was the theory. But I, stoopidly, didn't taste it first to make sure it was something I'd drink. I used it because it was cherry-based rather than the Chambord that was my first thought. Well, it turned out to be awful! Really awful! It eradicated any natural fresh flavor the cherries had and substituted something that was most like anti-freeze.

Thank god I yielded to temptation and had "just one" before I added anything to the ice cream base! So now it's just truffles (I used a very loose ratio that wouldn't freeze too hard) and pecans and I'll serve it with a caramel sauce.

Live and learn. Rolling Eyes
Barbara

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David - have marked it in my diary for 01 December
David

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You doll you!!!! Very Happy
Lady Amalthea

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for finding the fried ice cream recipes, guys! I will definitely find it once I have a good pan to fry in. Now I'm really wishing I had an ice cream maker after these great recipes!

Sour cream ice cream is delish, perfect with a sweet fruit dessert.

And Erin, that Ben & Jerry's sounds *amazing*! Maybe we can start a campaign to bring it back?
Rainey

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My family is screaming "Stop it!" "Stop it!" "You're going to give us sugar poisonning!" So I had to relent. ...mabbee I should be posting this under "Weighty Issues"... Laughing

But I'm intrigued by another possibility: yellow cherry ice cream made from Ranier cherries. If anyone has a mind to experiment with it will you share your findings? Merci. Wink
Erin

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lady Amalthea, I think all who are interested should write an email to B&J's demanding it back! How about some Festivus for the rest of us.

Mmmm Rainer cherries. I used to buy them at fruit stands all the time and pig out. Here they are like two and a half more times as expensive.

"It's hot ham water."
Rainey

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if anyone here has a roommate who needs watching or lives in a dorm but, still, this might be useful for someone. Wink http://store.benjerry.com/pintlock.html

If nothing else, it demonstrates that they DO listen to their consumers. So I join you in saying, "More Festivus for the rest of us!!!"
Dairy_Queen

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, you Festivus lovers: Put your vote where your mouth is!! Here's the link to Ben & Jerry's Flavor Gravesite, where along with Voting for your Favorite Ice Cream (mandatory), you can also request that they bring back other flavours. http://www.benjerry.com/our_products/flavor_graveyard/raise_flavor.cfm

WARNING: TURN YOUR COMPUTER SOUND DOWN OR OFF WHEN YOU VISIT THIS LINK!!!! IT WILL SCARE THE PANTS RIGHT OFF OF YOU AS YOU HEAR LIGHTENING CRASHING AND YOU DON'T EXPECT IT!!! MY CATS FLEW INTO THE OTHER ROOM AND I JUMPED A FOOT IN THE AIR! Shocked

But, Erin, you don't necessarily have to cry! Crying or Very sad As I found out doing research, the name "Festivus" was retired, BUT....they simply are using the same recipe and calling the ice cream "Gingerbread Cookie"! So, keep you eyes open for that one.

Now, for a little history on "Festivus":

Festivus is a nondenominational holiday featured in an episode of Seinfeld, a popular American television sitcom of the 1990s. It was featured on episode number 166 of the show, entitled The Strike, which first aired on December 18, 1997. Many people, influenced or inspired by Seinfeld, now celebrate the holiday in real life.

Festivus is celebrated each year on December 23. Its slogan is "A Festivus for the rest of us!"

The character Frank Costanza (played by Jerry Stiller) created it as an alternative holiday in response to the commercialization of Christmas. He explained its origins during the episode to the character Cosmo Kramer (played by Michael Richards), as related in the following dialogue:

Frank Costanza: Many Christmases ago, I went to buy a doll for my son. I reached for the last one they had, but so did another man. As I rained blows upon him, I realized there had to be another way.
Cosmo Kramer: What happened to the doll?
Frank Costanza: It was destroyed. But out of that a new holiday was born . . . a Festivus for the rest of us!
Cosmo Kramer: That must've been some kind of doll.
Frank Costanza: She was!
In the episode, Kramer had become interested in resurrecting the holiday after hearing the plight of his friend—Frank Costanza's son—George (played by Jason Alexander), who used the holiday celebration he hated in his youth as a defensive excuse to his employer, Kruger (played by Daniel Von Bargen). George had been confronted by Kruger after handing out cards for Christmas to his fellow employees stating a donation had been made to a fake charity (invented by George) called The Human Fund (with the slogan "Money For People") in lieu of exchanging Christmas presents. George defended himself saying that he feared persecution for his beliefs, for not celebrating Christmas. Calling his bluff, Kruger came home with George to see Festivus in action.

Main elements of Festivus:

The Festivus celebration includes three major components:

The Festivus Pole: During Festivus, an unadorned aluminium pole is displayed, apparently in opposition to the commercialization of decorated Christmas trees, and because the holiday's creator, Frank Costanza, "find[s] tinsel distracting." Local customs have changed and you may be able to decorate your pole with non-threatening plain decorations.

The Airing of Grievances: At the Festivus dinner, each participant tells friends and family all of the instances where they disappointed him or her that year.

The Feats of Strength: The head of the family tests his or her strength against one participant of the head's choosing. Festivus is not considered over until the head of the family has been pinned to the ground. A participant is allowed to decline to attempt to pin the head of the family only if they have something better to do instead. Shocked

While not an official element of the holiday or its celebration, the phenomenon of the Festivus Miracle should not be overlooked. When, at one point in the episode, the bookie inadvertently found Kramer and Elaine (played by Julia Louis-Dreyfus) at the Bagel Shop, Kramer enthusiastically said: "It's A Festivus Miracle!" Kramer reported another "Festivus Miracle" when Gwen found Jerry at the Costanza home (despite Kramer's previous directions to Gwen). In truth, a Festivus miracle is a second rate occurrence, or no more than a coincidence. Therefore, calling any event a "Festivus Miracle" is in reality very weak praise.

Origin of Festivus:
The Festivus idea came to the show through writer Daniel O'Keefe. His father, Dan O'Keefe, had invented a Festivus holiday in 1966, including many of the features later included in Seinfeld. He was inspired in part by the Samuel Beckett play Krapp's Last Tape, whose protagonist tapes himself speaking at different times in his life; the original Airing of Grievances was spoken into a tape recorder, and the O'Keefe family retains some of the tapes. (The father's career as a Reader's Digest editor meant internal politics of that organization are prominently featured; external grievances were permitted.) The O'Keefe tradition did not have a set date, but would take place in response to family tension, "any time from December to May" (Salkin). The phrase "a Festivus for the rest of us" also derived from an O'Keefe family event, the death of the elder O'Keefe's mother. The holiday made it onto Seinfeld after the writing team was amused by O'Keefe's retelling.

The elder O'Keefe wrote the 1982 book Stolen Lightning: A Social Theory of Magic ISBN 0826400590; the work deals with idiosyncratic ritual and its social significance; a theme with obvious relevance to Festivus.

Festivus-related trivia:
*Festivus was the name of a flavor (mostly gingerbread) of Ben and Jerry's ice cream in 2001. Named after the fictitious holiday, the flavor has since been renamed "Gingerbread Cookie."
*Festivus is also the name of a red wine produced by Grape Ranch Vineyards in Oklahoma.
*Oh Festivus, also known as the "Festivus Song", was first sung in Dallas, TX bars and taverns in the 2004/2005 holiday season.

And lastly, Bekbeka: I missed your posting of the Licorice Ice Cream; thank you, thank you, thank you for finding it and posting it!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: