Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

while you Spring, we Autumn/Fall
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:02 am    Post subject: while you Spring, we Autumn/Fall Reply with quote

as it becomes less and less strange to wear clothing with sleeves, I think of the bounteous bulbs of Spring doing their thing in the North! 'n while I adore the joy of that particular season, I'm an Autumn chicken at heart..the delicious surprising chill of those days...after all the draining heat of Summer! I wilt in heat Embarassed

this quote is for all you Northern Hemispherites..

Spring has returned. The Earth is like a child that knows poems.
--Rainer Maria Rilke

hope your day is poetic ~ this comes with the biggest bunch of rosemary (you can imagine!) tied with a red silk ribbon...for ye all!
JustMe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How easy it is to forget that those of you south of the equator are in a different season.

As much as I yearn for spring and summer I am always ready when autumn rolls around. Winter is the only month I would be happy to be without (except for snow at Christmas). And as much as in the dead of winter I dream of living on a tropical island I would miss my four seasons, especially the changing of the leaves in autumn. Where I live in Ontario each season is beautiful unto itself...though the winter is still a little bit too long!

Your bouquet of rosemary is perfect! One of the best scents in nature.
David

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree JustMe, each season here is distinct. And I did have the experience of living on a tropical island for 5 years (Grand Cayman) and dearly missed the seasons.

Rosemary---------------mmmmmm my fave!
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a bed of lavender and rosemary out my front door. Now whenever I walk by I get this delicious scent!

"It's hot ham water."
David

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back Erin!!
Barbara

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The leaves of the oak tree, I see out my window, are turning the colours of autumn....and last night we woke during the night to thunder and rain.
JustMe

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had thunder here today, too...and hail!
cynthiaLW

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so overwhelmed by nature in my world, that my favorite season is usually the one I'm in. I wish I could take you on a walk thru my garden. I have a woodland garden beneath fir trees which has been alive with all kinds of wildflowers for the past 6 weeks, but now the rhododendrons are at their peak. I have to admit that my favorite rhody is not a native but a hybrid, because it is fragrant! Scent just blows me away. Right now I am enamored by Rhododendron loderi "Venus". But as spring moves on to summer, I know that my neighbor's Rosemary will grab my attention and I'll also want to go visit the local Lavendar farms. Because of their scent! When it gets right down to it, I think that one of the big reasons I cook and enjoy my results, is because of the smells of foods. Has anyone read Chandler Burr's book about Luca Turin- The Emperor of Scent? VERY Fascinating!
JustMe

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cynthiaLW: your description of your garden had me transported momentarily. It sounds wonderful.

I will now add The Emperor of Scent to my "to be read" list.
David

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barbara, that sounds truly peaceful. I recall autumn in Australia as a gentle and lovely time, I suppose partially because I knew the winter it foretold would be short and mild. Have a lovely Fall our Antipodean friends.
Lady Amalthea

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have spent the last couple of years in LA and was thrilled to be back with seasons this year in Paris. My first autumn in LA, my then-boyfriend sent me a package of freshly-turned autumn leaves from Chicago because I was so sick of the eternal greenery!
Rainey

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah! David and Lady Amalthea, I'm with you! I live in the LA area and I have dearly missed the seasons since I left NY state some 30 years ago! And I miss things like rhodadendrons (they look like a scoop of colorful sherbert atop luxuriant foliage to me), lilies of the valley and waves and waves of tulips because it just doesn't get cold enough for them here.

Meanwhile, I miss so many of the interesting discussions you guys have down here at the bottom of the column because it's below the fold on my computer. Evil or Very Mad
David

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Rainey you would love it here in Ottawa right now. While it may be cool and rainy it is the last weekend of the tulip festival and the cool weather has alloweded the million or so tulips in bloom on public property to really last! During WW2 the Dutch Royal Family (sans King , he stayed in the Netherlands) stayed here in Ottawa, indeed one of the Princesses was born here (the government made the delivery room at the hospital temporary Dutch soil so she could be born Dutch) and as a thank you the people of Holland have sent hundreds and hundreds of thousands of tulip bulbs to Ottawa. A very generous thank you indeed!
Rainey

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What an interesting story!

Vancouver may not get the gift of the bulbs but they always plant every public space with every bulb they can fit in. I just LOVE seeing them!

Sometimes I plant tulips. But in order to do that, I have to refrigerate them for 6 weeks first. What happens is I forget or get lazy and they just sit in the crisper until they're sawdust inside the outer cuticle. I'm planning to plant a lot of bulbs this Fall tho. It will be mostly dafs 'cause they'll come back year after year. But I'm planning to do some tulips too.
Rainey

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, David! I don't know why but I can't follow the link to your website. I consistently get a message that says my browser can read your server. ???
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: