Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Best Food Gifts - What are yours?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shut Up And Cook

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:41 am    Post subject: Best Food Gifts - What are yours? Reply with quote

I had a lot of fun this Christmas doing various foods as gifts. Perhaps my top two favorites were little jars with homemade pancake mix (the dry ingredients) given with smaller jars of homemade Vermont maple syrup, and Old English Toffee. Warning: This stuff is addictive, but subsequently your friends will be so excited to receive a little goes a long way.

http://wp.me/puWta-gN

What are your best, festive, and most adored food gifts?!?

www.TheAttainableGourmet.com
Griffin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:06 pm    Post subject: Favourite Food Gifts Reply with quote

Naturally, mine are the large amount of dark chocolate I got from my friend and second-family sister, Jane. I am still working my way through them and they are fabulous.

The gift I give myself is buying good bread from a local baker who sells in the market. The Sunflower and Honey loaf is so good I've eaten it on it's own.

I often buy coffee and cake for Jane when we meet up for a chat too.
KYHeirloomer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear from you two. Actually, good to hear from anybody. These fora have been quiet for a long time.

We always give food-type gifts. We do lots of canning and preserving, for instance, and several jars of jams, jellies, butters, pickles, etc. form the anchor of our gifts. Then, depending on the recipient, we build on that.

For instance, we often include mini-quick breads. And sometimes we'll put all the dry ingredients for a favorite bread in a canning jar, along with directions for the rest of the recipe.

Most of the time these are packed in either baskets, or in hand-sewn fabric shopping bags that Friend Wife makes. But, as some of you know, woodworking is one of my hobbies. Sometimes the foodstuffs will be packaged sitting on a custom-made cheeseboard, or even a full sized cutting board.
Kaili@Lime Or Lemon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:02 pm    Post subject: Food gifts Reply with quote

I often make jars of self-made jam or for Christmas I gave small packs of self-baked cookies. I make my MomĀ“s recipe of special kind of ginger bread cookies with lots of spices that is traditional for Christmas in Estonia.

I have now almost switched from shop jams to self-made for my own consumption and people visiting always pick the self-made ones from my fridge. They like the bigger and more fruit pieces in the jam compared to a supermarket jam.

When I go to visit people I sometimes also bring a box of special chocolates. Being in Switzerland there are some good hand-made fresh chocolates, a real luxury item.
dory

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made chocolate truffles for Christmas. They are really easy to make and I was was able to make vegan ones for my sister, who has been unable to find vegan truffles in the store by melting the chocolate with coconut milk rather than cream. I think they tasted pretty similar to the cream ones, actually. If I wanted to have a stronger coconut flavor I would add unsweetened shredded coconut (perhaps roll the truffles in it) and perhaps even a drop of coconut extract, although I have never used that and would want to taste it in a tiny sample first to make sure it tastes ok.
KYHeirloomer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an idea that's worth experimenting with.

Yesterday a friend and I made our semi-annual shopping trip to Amish country. One of the things I looked at, that I've never seen before, were pre-packaged bread mixes.

These were all the dry ingrendients necessary for various breads, packed in plastic bags. According to the labels (these were a commercial product, actually) you just add water, then knead and bake as usual.

Seems to me that anyone could put up their favorite bread recipe the same way. Combine the dry ingredients, and include a set of directions for mixing, kneading, rising, and baking.

I'm certainly going to play with that idea this year.
dory

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know I never use mixes but I make some pretty darn good cornbread. I could always make a cornbread mix for friends who do use them. They'd still have to add milk an egg and oil, but hey! This is an interesting idea-- especially if they were packed in little fabric bags outside a plastic one.

Dory

I am hesitant about pre-packaged mixes with yeast ever since I had some yeast go bad in my kitchen, but maybe I am being too paranoid.
phyllis.chan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chocolates, cakes, cheesecakes and sweets.
dory

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made truffles with unsweetened chocolate and xylitol (in my opinion the safest sugar alcohol) for my father who has diabetes. I am convinced that most commercial sugar-free chocolate has almost as high a glycemic index as conventional chocolate and most of it doesn't taste that great. My truffles were fabulous. I also make coconut cream vegan truffles for vegan siblings, and am going to make carob truffles for my husband who is sensitive to chocolate. (I don't know how they will turn out as I haven't made them yet. I have chips that I think are based on that icky confectioner's coating, so....) What is better than decadent home-made chocolates at Christmas and New Years? My husband and I are both sick for Christmas and probably will be for New Years, so we don't have a party planned, but a New Year's party with fancy home made truffles and bubbly would be very nice.
Shut Up And Cook

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:32 pm    Post subject: What fun!! Reply with quote

What a fabulous list of ideas! This year I did salted caramel sauce and toasted nuts. Both were big hits, not too expensive to make, and traveled well. YUM!

www.TheAttainableGourmet.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: