Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Rhubarb
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cigalechanta

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

someone I know is looking for a recipe for a rhubarb/vanille confiture she had in France, Chardun, I think it was called?
Dairy_Queen

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so glad that others can appreciate that incredible collection of Rhubarb recipes; limiting rhubarb to dessert only would be like only having raisins in cookies!

I've made the Rhubarb Onion & Raisin Chutney for years; also the Chicken Smothered in Rhubarb. I grew up with Scandinavian Cooking, and later, Dutch (courtesy of my M.I.L.) and both cultures use so much fruit in their cooking. Prunes, apricots, apples, berries, and rhubarb. I love the juxtaposition of Sweet and Sour that they provide.

I'll be curious to see how many of us try the recipes out, especially with the Farmer's Markets cranking out their wares.

And David, if you think this talk is dirty, you should hear me in class! Laughing Nothing like a little human analogy to make the students sit up and pay attention! Idea
Debbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dairy Queen, you always bring a smile to my face. Love the way you can relate something and have us "learn and laugh".

Thank you for the link. I love love love rhubarb and will be making the chutney for later in the year. I belong to a womens club and we have a jam and chutney sale in November. I had kiwifruit chutney on the list, but now might make both it and the rhubarb.
Dairy_Queen

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on how experienced your friend is in jam making, cigalechanta, they could substitute the strawberries in this confiture for the rhubarb.

Strawberry and vanilla jam, via bitton cafe

1kg of strawberries, washed and hulled

800g jam sugar, or plain white sugar

juice of a large lemon

2 vanilla beans

how

- prepare and sterilise the equipment you will need: jars (about 6 small ones, or a similar assortment ie. 1 big one and 4 small ones), ladle, jam funnel

- place strawberries into a large pot, and macerate them (i use a potato masher) until fairly pulpy.

- pour in sugar and lemon juice and bring to the boil. add one of the vanilla beans.

- continue to boil over a medium heat (be careful it doesn't boil over!!!! very sticky!). skim off the foam as you go, but you don't need to get too paranoid about getting every last foamy bit.

- when the jam has reached setting point (when the last drop hangs off the wooden spoon and doesn't fall - this should take about 20 mins. don't overcook it or else it will lose it's beautiful fresh strawberry red colour and flavour), take it off the heat and fish out the vanilla bean (be careful, it's HOT). cut both vanilla beans into thirds.

- working quickly, ladle the hot jam into the jars, and poke a vanilla bean into the middle of each jar. make sure the tip of the bean is covered with jam. seal the jars tightly, wipe off any sticky drops and let cool.

- enjoy with good bread. make sure you share some with friends, they'll love you for it!

Debbie wrote:
Dairy Queen, you always bring a smile to my face. Love the way you can relate something and have us "learn and laugh".

Thank you for the link. I love love love rhubarb and will be making the chutney for later in the year. I belong to a womens club and we have a jam and chutney sale in November. I had kiwifruit chutney on the list, but now might make both it and the rhubarb.

Debbie: Nothing is better than a good laugh, so I'm glad that I can bring you a giggle with some info. I like to take the "Mary Poppins" approach to knowledge, you know...A spoonful of sugar makes the medicine/info go down.... Laughing

I love that you're thinking of making the rhubarb chutney for your sale! As I posted earlier in the Jam thread, a board friend is now planning on making my Grandma Lyna's Tomato Jelly for her Summer Sales, too.

I think it's wonderful that we all share our recipes and a bit of ourselves, making each day just a little bit more joyous. I've learned so much HERE and love how everyone's posts have influenced and changed my life! Thanks to Rainey's passion for growing things, I finally got out of my 'stall' at my cottage, and planted 4 Heirloom tomatoes and 10 pots of different basils and herbs.

Sharing is a GOOD THING!!!
cigalechanta

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Dairy Queen Smile
Rainey

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dairy_Queen wrote:
Depending on how experienced your friend is in jam making, cigalechanta, they could substitute the strawberries in this confiture for the rhubarb.

Are you sure they have the same acidity and pectin content? You'd want equivalent acidity for security against bacteria (strawberries are very acidic) and pectin to get the same kind of thickening.

Maybe it wouldn't be a problem but I approach canning conservatively for lack of access to reliable information about substitutions.
rebecca

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know you started out this forum as saying rhubarb pie is overdone, David, but I for one can't get enough. I think rhubarb pie is the Queen of Pies--and none of that strawberry-rhubarb nonsense, thank you very much. If anyone is a fan of Prairie Home Companion (I see that you have a Garrison Keillor quote as your signature, Rainey!), you know all about Bebopareebop Rhubarb Pie.

Quote:
(SINGS)

One little thing can revive a guy
And that is a piece of rhubarb pie
Serve it up, nice and hot
Maybe things aren't as bad as you thought

(DUET)

Mama's little baby loves rhubarb, rhubarb
Bebopareebop rhubarb pie
Mama's little baby loves rhubarb, rhubarb
Bebopareebop rhubarb pie
Bebopareebop rhubarb pie

In fact, PHC is embarking on their Rhubarb Tour this summer. Details can be found here.
Rainey

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes indeedie! And pass those Powdermilk biscuits and the ketchup if you don't mind. Wink
Rainey

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in the car yesterday listening to Splendid Table on NPR and the host gave this suggestion to a caller. (I didn't hear the question.) It sounded so good I was sorry I hate rhubarb. Wink But mabbee it's right for some of you rhubarb people.

She said to roughly chop rhubarb and place in a bowl with a generous amount of sugar (she gave no amounts -- a girl after my own wicked heart -- but maybe you could find something more specific on the Splendid Table website). Allow this to macerate overnight. The next day, drain off and heat the sugar syrup. Add the rhubarb to cook. Add mustard oil (which she said should be strong enough to clear your sinuses and which is available at Indian grocery stores; chili powder or tabasco were substitutes she suggested). Serve as a chutney accompaniment to meat or strong cheddar cheese sandwiches.

I thought if I were going chutney, I'd add some chopped tart apples and/or a handful of golden raisins. This sounds so good to me I might just have to see if some 45 years later I still hate rhubarb... Wink

PS It was the mustard oil that hooked me.
rebecca

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of chutney, I made and canned my own rhubarb chutney this weekend, Rainey! It's super simple, and might even bring you into the rhubarb fold. Wink

Rhubarb Chutney

4 cups chopped rhubarb
1 cup dried cherries
2 sweet apples, diced
1 red onion, diced
2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
crushed red pepper to taste (I found 2 teaspoons quite spicy!)
½ cup honey
½ cup water

Toss all the ingredients into a deep saucepan and bring to a boil. Turn the heat down and simmer for 15 - 20 minutes, or until the rhubarb is tender. You can use a simple waterbath method to can the chutney for future use. It makes about 6 cups. Or you can store the whole lot in the refrigerator and use it as a compliment for grilled chicken, pork or cheese sandwiches!
Rainey

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good, rebecca!

Mabbee after the utterly sour abuses of my childhood and the cloyingly sweet things I had after I grew a bit, I haven't had the real rhubarb experience. These sweet/sour things sound much more interesting to me. And there's nothing like taking charge of the flavor adjustments yourself!

This week I got my husband to try a shrimp after he had a bad experience with a shrimp some 30 years ago. After badgering him into being a little more open I guess it's my turn! Embarassed
cigalechanta

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The latest issue of Food and Wine has a recipe and a reading of 4 star chef, Jean-Georges Vongerichten's mother's recipe for rhubarb meriingue tart. Someone send me a slice LOl.
creampuff

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was growing up, rhubarb grew in the field across from my grandmother's house. The neighbor know I loved rhubarb and would give Grandma Clara an armload when I was visiting. Grandma, who was Hungrian-Italian-Jewish and a wonderful cook, stewed the stalks simply with sugar and maybe some lemon juice.

To this day, I don't know if is the taste of rhubarb or the memory of my petite grandmother perspiring over a steaming pot bubbling away on her stove that has made a rhubarb eater out of me.

Later in life I discovered the magic of strawberries and rhubarb, particularly in pie. My husband prefers his tart, with as little sugar as possible. I like it anyway I can get it, but always with a bit more sugar than him!

Last night, I stewed some with sugar, mixed berries and strawberries into a kind of loose compote. A bit or cinammon OR ground cardomon (spelling?) would be a good addition. Delicious warm over vanilla ice cream.
creampuff

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recipe: Lentil and Rhubarb Stew With Indian Spices

I was just browsing the NY Times site and found this recipe by Mark Bittman. If you have access to the site, he also has a short article on the rhubarb as well. (By the way, he said in the article you can use the french green lentils if you'd like, he just prefers the look of the orange in this dish)

Published: June 8, 2005
Time: 40 minutes

3 or 4 stalks rhubarb, strings removed, chopped
1 cup orange lentils, well washed
2 tablespoons minced ginger
1 tablespoon minced garlic
4 cardamom pods
1 tablespoon mustard seeds
2 cloves
1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
1 dried ancho or other mild chili, optional
Salt
Chopped cilantro leaves for garnish.

Combine all ingredients except salt and cilantro in a saucepan and add water to cover by about 1 inch. Cook at a steady simmer until lentils and rhubarb are quite soft, 20 to 30 minutes. Remove cloves and, if you like, cardamom pods. Add salt, then taste and adjust seasoning. Garnish with cilantro and serve.

Yield: 4 servings.
David

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reopening an old thread just to point to the Recipe Box where I'm going to post a recioe for the most fabulous RHUBARB CHUTNEY!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: