Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

reasonable places to eat near Latin Quarter/Gobelins

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Paris & France
View previous topic :: View next topic  
melinda

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 3:25 am    Post subject: reasonable places to eat near Latin Quarter/Gobelins Reply with quote

Any suggestions for good/reasonable places to eat in Latin Quarter/Moufftard/Gobelins area? We are coming in a couple of weeks to visit our student daughter who lives near Jardin des Plantes.
Cooksister

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 11:29 am    Post subject: Places to eat in the Latin Quarter Reply with quote

I was in Paris just over a month ago and we stayed between Place Monge and Cardinal Lemoine Metro stations - perfectly placed for Rue Mouffetard and surrounds! Off the Rue Mouffetard is a little street called Rue Pot du Fer which is just PACKED with restaurants. All of them had very reasonable prix fixe menus and I would happily have tried them all. We ended up going to Le Vigneron which served French cuisine from the South-West and we had a delightful meal - three courses for about €22 (although there is a suplement to pay for the cassoulet or foie gras). The night we were there it was full of French people and felt pretty off the beatn track, which was great.
clotilde
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Melinda!
I can suggest an excellent and very affordable restaurant called Le Pré Verre (8 Rue Thénard) in the 5th. I've been there a few times and was never disappointed.
Do let us know where you end up going!
Clotilde.
christoph

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Melinda,
in my opinion its quite difficult to find good restaurants in this area because its very touristic. Especially near the rue Mouffetard many restaurants are pure tourist traps not bad but definitively nothing special.
I agree with Clotilde that the Pre Verre is an excellent choice, I was there also several times and we were never disappointed. I'll add you some more suggestions which I really like:
Le Vin Sobre, 25,rue Feulliantines a nice bar a vin with an excellent choice of Cote du Rhone vines, traditional kitchen, simple dishes but perfect preparation
La Truffade 4, rue Blainville This is a good tip for lunch. In the evening its a very expensive restaurant, where you have this top class restaurant feeling with well dressed waiters a heavy wine list etc. For lunch (also saturday) you have a 20 euro menue 3 courses and wines by glass, the same excellent service. Classic but not at all heavy french dishes.
L'Ourcine, rue Broca a newly opend neo bistro with a 28 euro menue. We were there last week a very welcoming personal service, perfect cooked dishes bistro style and very well priced wines.
Finally L'Estrapade, rue Estrapade. A very small and intime Restaurant. They changed now their menue to a fixed price of 25 Euros which is oin my opinion an excellent bargain. Classic french kitchen
Hope that helps enjoy your meals there and have a good time in Paris
Christoph
clotilde
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leave it to Christoph to give you fabulous recommendations! Thanks Christoph, I'll write these down as I, too, find it very difficult to find decent food in that area.
Oh and a bit closer to the Luxembourg, there is also "Les Papilles" which I wrote about for Bonjour Paris, at 30 rue Gay-Lussac. Here's a link to the article...
melinda

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 3:50 pm    Post subject: good eats Reply with quote

now that I'm back from paris....here are 2 places we stumbled on and had good meals....Cave de Bourgogne...on a square at the southern end of r Moufftard....good duck confit & entrecote, and Au Bon Coin, 21 r de la Collegiale (www.restoauboncoin.com)...neighborhood place, great prices...huge tureen of fish soup, another confit (do you see a pettern here? we hardly ever get this in us) and creme brulee..my daughter got a moelleux chocolat au caramel...wow...a gooey chocolate pudding/cake in a pool of caramel....I think I ate a cheese per day...should have taken a chance & brought some camembert back...am having stinky cheese withdrawal
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Paris & France All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: