Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Truffles Au Chocolat Research Help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Resources
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zephyron

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 6:19 am    Post subject: Truffles Au Chocolat Research Help Reply with quote

(im not sure if this belongs here, sorry) Hello, I was doing a food project for my European History class, and I made Truffles Au Chocolat. We also need to make a cultural connection and Ive searched the web for infomation, but mostly I've found were mushroom truffles and websites with the recipe for it. Im not sure if the mushroom truffles and the Truffles Au Chocolat have any connection, but if anyone knows, can they help me with some infomation? Or a place I can look for the right infomation? Thank you.
creampuff

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original chocolate truffles were rough balls of chocolate ganache rolled in cocoa dust. They resembled the dirt-covered truffles dug up by specially trained pigs and/or dogs and so highly prized for their scent and taste. The candies were called truffles because of this resemblance. Later came chocolate covered and filled truffles that lost the rough exterior and resemblance to the fungi, but the name stuck.

I checked the story out in the food companion reference book and it says pretty much the same thing but does not give any background as to where and when. Chocolate truffles are not mentioned in the Food Chronology book I have.

If I find anything else, I'll be sure to let you know.
Meantime, check out the website of my favorite Bay area resource for the rough, cocoa truffles -- XOX -- www.xoxtruffles.com They do do mail order.
Zephyron

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice info, also is there any info on how they first came to create the chocolate truffles or founded by who? Thanks for the quick reply!
Barbara

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this site.THey might be able to help.

http://www.foodtimeline.org/index.html
Dairy_Queen

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barbara wrote:
Try this site.THey might be able to help.

http://www.foodtimeline.org/index.html

Barbara: What an ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY FANTASTIC SITE YOU LINKED TO!!! I've emailed the link to loads of foodie friends and can't wait to hear their comments.

I love the history of food, for it's truly the history of mankind. This is a facinating site; thanks for finding it and posting it!
simona

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barbara, thank you for this incredible site, it's if I've been waiting for it forever. I'm a history-of-food-and- culture freak, and have about 60 books dealing with different aspects of the culture and history of food . I'm very busy with my work now for about two weeks, so i'll really look into this site when I return. I feel I need a lot of time to browse and browse.
Thank you very very much,

More history, more culture= no more war
tea leaves

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 2:18 pm    Post subject: Thanks for the link Reply with quote

Thanks for the fabulous link! This will come in more than handy for my teachng classes!
Sorry I can't help on the Truffles au Chocolat research issue, except to tell you that they should be investigated at every opportunity presented!
swan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tea leaves!! You're back!!! And now I see you're from Boston. I'm flying there tomorrow, feel free to share a few Bostonian (food)secrets...Smile
Barbara

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so pleased to find other C&Z'ers interested in the history of food.

I'm a big fan of the Australian food historian Michael Symons. On the website ( http://used.addall.com/ ) recommended by (I think) Clotildes papounet I found a book I've been searching second hand bookstores for years - One Continuous Picnic - A History of Food in Australia.
Zephyron

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks alot Barbara and creampuff for your help!
bestcopy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zephyron wrote:
Nice info, also is there any info on how they first came to create the chocolate truffles or founded by who? Thanks for the quick reply!

Not really sure who made them first, but it seems they showed up around the 1920's. (Not a big surprise: almost all chocolate confectionery blossomed at that time).
They were around in Brussels' chocolates' shops at that time, but were quite distinct from the Belgian 'pralines' (well, not that Belgian, they were invented by a Swiss expat, Neuhaus) as they were (and are) not filled chocolate boxes but creamy confections, sometimes dripped in chocolate and/or cocoa (and a lot of other things we prefer not to mention).
My own favourite flavour is the Colettes: sweet, suave, seductive, addictive and extremely delicate concoctions of cream and chocolate.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Resources All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: