Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Some information on Can(n)elés

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lakritz

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 5:05 pm    Post subject: Some information on Can(n)elés Reply with quote

This is a follow-on from my Bordeaux region topic, from which the above mentioned small cakes emerged as a definite speciality of Bordeaux. As I had never heard of them before, I started some research on that topic, and found to my surprise, that not only had Clotilde mentioned them in several articles, but that they are - in certain circles - a hotly debated food item. So that my afternoon on the net (tut, tut) was not entirely wasted, I'm going to share a few findings with you, fellow foodies.
Clotilde says that the best are from Baillardan in Bordeaux (who have an outlet in Paris).
Another opinion:
“Perhaps the classic canneles were at Amat's restaurant in Bouliac across the river from Bordeaux. That he lost and never regained his second star was a mystery to many of us. That he lost his restaurant was a tragedy. I'm not sure of the spelling and don't know if either then "n" or the "l" are double or both.” (by ‘bux’, on EG)

Strangely enough, I cannot find can(n)elés in the recipe index. But I found that the EG food site had a really long discussion on the best recipes and methods.
Jay Francis gives the following link for a cannelé recipe that – for her - worked and tasted better than the Paula Wolfert one (which most people seemed to agree was the best, though I also found Michel Roux’s recipe mentioned).

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/re...6_16275,00.html

Copper moulds versus flexible ones, beeswax versus substitutes were other discussion points. As to the latter, I found in Clotilde’s article on E. Dehillerin, that the trick is to spray the silicone moulds with baking spray and then dust them with confectioner's sugar. (Though she herself hasn’t tried this as yet.)
Barbara

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must be destined to make Cannelés as I had never heard of them until yesterday and here for the second time in the past 24 hours they get another mention. Check out Melissa's blog for her Cannelé in progress.

http://mahnparis.blogspot.com/2005/06/cannele-work-in-progress.html#comments
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: