Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Prague restaurants
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Around the world on a zucchini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lakritz

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 2:56 pm    Post subject: Prague restaurants Reply with quote

Has anyone recommendations for restaurants in Prague? My husband and I will be spending our 2oth wedding anniversary there.
Thank you Very Happy
simona

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Lakritz , next to Paris, I personally think Prague is the most romantic city in Europe. I visited prague the first time in 1988, just pefore the velvet revolution, and it was both Kafkaesque and a voyage in the past. I'll never forget the gray streets and houses, the sad decay of this wonderful city. I fall in love with it, and still am. An then I came back in 1990, 92, 94, 96 and I saw it changing before my eyes, recovering from the imposed misery of years of neglect and becoming what it always has been: Zlata prague, Golden Prague. I am sure you will have a wonderful amnniversary voyage in this incredible city. I returned this year( 2005), in winter , after nealy ten years , and though Mcdonalds, Pizzas etc. abound, the magic is still there, it has still the old-Europe charm. And it was snowing!!!
As for restaurants, I don't know many, but the hotel conscierge can be helpful, just insist on local food. I do reccomend one very touristic but still a must- U Fleku, for the decor and tradition. And the beer is fabulous.
The czech food is on the heavy side , but the roasted duck with red cabbage is a must, and you can find it in the Taverns, A typical one is Olympia, I'll try to find the adress. The one we enjoyed most, I unfortunately misplaced its name, but I do remeber the street: It's in Husova Str , just near Betlemsy Square ( there are many restaurants in this street, I mean the one just before you turn in this square) . It has a simple wine bar opening on the street, but the restaurant is just next door, you have to descend to the cellar. The food was delicious, moderate prices, and the portions were really huge,. I had my half duck of course, my husband pork shanks, and we worked very hard to empty our plates. I'll try to find the exact adress. it's in the old town. Is your hotel in the center? When do you plan to be there ( July - august are hot and full of tourists).
If I may suggest some lesser known attractions: The Communist Party Museum, a gem and a reminder of the"dark ages"; The Mucha Gallery- Art nouveau Gallery, very interesting, about the painter, his life and work;
a visit to Pariz Hotel, an Art Nouveau Jewel; a look into the restaurant in the Municipality building, also a masterpieceof Art nouveau- the restaurant is expensive and not worth it, but peeping inside is . I remember eating there in 1988 with 2$ a full lunch, the food was bad, but the decor compensated it. I also remember the old waiter, we spoke german as he spoke no English, and was very happy with the 1$ tip . I could talk days about prague in 1988, today it's hard to believe that in less than a decade, all trace of the old regime was erased ( at least in the center).
Have a wonderful time, and if i'll think of more details that might be of interest, I'll post.

No more war, many more wonderful wedding anniversaries!
Lakritz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Simona,
thank you so much for your long reply. Yes, I thought it was about the most romantic place to go (with flights directly from Birmingham), apart from Venice and Paris. The latter I've been to several times, the former I thought would be too hot for my liking in July. And now you're telling me, it's very hot in Prague, too? Oh no! (I should have chosen Reijkjavik...). When I went for the first time, it was on the way back from Poland (my Mum is from Silesia and my brother and I had just accompanied her to Wroclav which she hadn't seen since the war), we only stayed a night or two, I think it must have been in September, probably in 1996. Like you, I fell in love with the city but this will be my first time back, and my husband hasn't been before. I'd love to go and see Prague in the snow!!
As to food, we both love duck! I shall look out for that restaurant you mention. Thanks also for the Geheimtip Communist Museum - I had not come across this anywhere else. And yes, I must peep into the Municipal Building this time - it was closed for restauration when I visited last time.
I'm very much looking forward to it, although unfortunately, it's a very short trip. I don't know yet where our hotel is going to be as I only booked the flight so far and I'm awaiting confirmation from a small 'Pension'.
The beer is glorious, I know, and will add greatly to the calories consumed... Talking about beer, I know you're going to Berlin soon - as you've been many times before, you probably have tried 'Berliner Weisse' before?
simona

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello lakritz ( do you really like lakritz?), no I don't remeber drinking Berliner Weisse, though probably I did . This time I'll certainly be aware of it. I do intend to "make" the museums, including the new ones and memorials, but also to have good food. We will live in an hotel appartment just off KU'Dam.
As or Prague, my husband reminded me of another little museum: museum of old musical instruments. I'm sure the big National museums have many interesting things, but Prague is not the main place for "classical" museums, the streets and small ones are more typical and interesting, in my opinion. Just walk if it's not too hot ( it can be hot but not necessarily. But sure there will be zillion of tourists. I don't recomment the boat trip , it's long and unrewarding in my opinuion ( I'm sorry to be so affirmative, but I happen to be also a tour guide, and it's that way I saw Prague most of the times). As for performances: the Lanterna Magica is worth, as well as one of the "black theatre" shows ( there are several now). I didn't tike the puppet theatre ( it gives Don Giovanni, and we left in the middle, it was boring in spite of the music).
Also, please beware of the ultimate tourist trap: concerts in churches with a mix of" popular classic" music program. They charge 25E ( 800 CZK) per person for one hour performance, and it's really a cheat. If you like music, look for the regular concerts ( sometimes in churches too, but with a normal program), and it should not cost more than 250 CZK ( about 8-10E). I hope your pension will be somewhere in the centre, it saves time and energy and if tired, you can have a little "siesta".
Of course, as a jew, i cannot ommit to suggest a visit to the old cemetery and synagogues. It's one of Prague's attractions, and not only for jewish people.
I'll be happy to hear from you on your return,
Have a wonderful trip,
Simona
Lakritz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Simona, thanks again. Yes, I do like Lakritz (though not more than chocolate or wine gum), I even own a liqueur made from it, which looks vile but tastes just like liquid licorice.
You've probably seen people drink Berliner Weisse before, it's very much a summer drink (anywhere in Germany, actually, and it goes through phases of popularity). The one with Waldmeister is interesting, as this herb tastes like nothing else I know.
The musical instruments museum sounds right up our street! And I'm glad you mentioned the Laterna magica and the puppets, I would have plummeted for the puppets, and now I'll try to see the L.M. Good to be warned about the tourist traps, too. The Jewish quarter is already on my list, a) because I'm German b) because of Kafka. I might even opt for the 'Jewish tour' (2,5 hours). Apparently, there is also a Museum of Czech literature.
The zillion of tourists I would have encounteted elsewhere, too. But that your anniversary is always going to fall smack in the middle of the main holiday season, is not something you take into account when you get married. We thought it was a great date, because a) it's the date of the assassination attempt on Hitler, and b) a German friend of mine got married to his Finnish girlfriend on the same day, albeit in Finland.
simona

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My husband, an ex red-haired ( now whitish) hot weather hater, announced me that if I want him dressed in a decent suit, the marriage will not take place before November. So november 1st it was.
So your anniversary is on the 20th of July, many happy returns. Funny the common links complete strangers can find! I'm going to Berlin, you to the old jewish city in Prague. Not all hope is lost. I liked reading your post concerning you're dislike of uniforms.

No more war, no more
David

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow----I have absolutely nothing to say on this topic. I just want to thank you two for carrying on such a fascinating public conversation. Sigh, most of us North Americans just don't have the European sense of history and culture!
simona

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David, the perfect gentleman, as always,
Thanks
Simona
Lakritz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, 20th of July. Indeed, it is sometimes very funny how strangers can relate to one another. But so important. My husband always says that people shouldn't concentrate on what divides them but what they have in common (like love of food, cooking it, sharing it, talking about it... Wink ). Yes, somehow very apt, I in Prague and you in Berlin. I'm sure we'll be thinking of each other. -- I hope that not all hope is lost but at the moment it seems as if we're all regressing!!
Yes, I liked what you wrote about uniforms, too. I had the same association... (the scout uniforms here are that sort of khaki, it really gives you the creeps). I nearly wrote, "As a German...", but I didn't want to get too political.
I also love the way you always add something new to your 'No more war' logo. As a teenager I had one of those 'Make love, not war' posters.
On that note:
No more war, more love!
Lakritz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David, how sweet of you to say so!
simona

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I wanted to write " as a jew.." but didn't want to get political either, especially as the suggestion was completeley innocent and unintentional. Lucky those to whom "brown shirts" is associated with girl scouts, or chocolate! And let the chocolate win on these forums.
As you say,

No more war, more love
Lakritz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely right, the suggestions were just for fun and innocent, and yes, I guess they are lucky, and this is not the Oxford debating society.. Wink
But sometimes innocence/ignorance goes too far - I have to share this with you. When my eldest son was in his last year in primary school (so he was 11), his teacher said to me that now that all the tests were over they had more time to do 'fun' things, so they'd be covering the Second World War... Now, clearly you can imagine how perplexed I was at hearing those two words, fun and WW2 in one sentence, but that was nothing yet! She then asked me whether I could come in and talk to the children about the war from the German perspective... "You know, we always see Hitler as entirely bad, maybe you could talk about how the Germans saw him, why they voted for him..." I was speechless! When I said I would have to go back to WW1, she said, 'Oh no, we haven't done the first world war.' Well, to cut a long story short, I did go in and gave a talk, and I did go back to WW1, and I think they all learnt something.
simona

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for sharing this story. But I'm not really surprised. Your personal story , in its microcosmos , embodies all which happens today, all over the world; but for me, especially painful is the European attitude. they should know better. Once again, I don't want to get political, but the ignorance of the events of the quite recent past ( WW2 , cold war, middle east) is incredible: intelligent and otherwise educated persons have no idea about simple historical facts, and don't even bother to deny it: history is past, vive le present! as if what happens today, here and elsewhere in the world, has no historical roots! So the one with the best PR ( and money) is always right. But maybe we'll continue this conversation on PM.
As for Prague, beware of pickpockets and if you take a taxi, make sure they put the taximeter or agree about the sum in advance: the passage from communism to a free economy in such a short period of time has some very ugly manifestations. Do you know already where you'll be staying?

No more war, no more bad memories
Lakritz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I so agree with you!
I didn't realize there was this thing called private message. I think you're right, we have moved far away from anything food related.
Do I take it that I just press the pm button?
In fact I'll just do that...
zsofia

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Lakritz,
I lived in Prague for 5 years when I was a child and still visit it at least once every year. Very good choice for an anniversary, Prague is one of the most romantic cities in the world, I agree. Last summer, I spent there a weekend again and discovered a fantastic restaurant perfect for a romantic dinner -especially in the summer. It is called the Hergetova Cihelna, perfect location (walking from the Old Town throuhg the Carl's Bridge on the right side -you can see it from the bridge,), the food is more international then czech but I liked it very much. The place is quite fancy but very very romantic! You can check it on www.kampagroup.com. I wish you a nice trip, viele Grüsse, und herzliche Glückwünsche, eine Ungarin aus Brüssel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Around the world on a zucchini All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: