Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Berry Tales -- start picking
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sarape

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:38 pm    Post subject: Berry Tales -- start picking Reply with quote

Now is the time when blackberries, mulberries, rasberries are ripening. I've started picking about a cupfull at lunch for the day's cooking.

I'm adding them to my oat-corn-rice "risotto". Along with the pumpkin, they make it nice and tart. I'm adding one cup of blackberries (mashed up) per one big pot of the risotto.

Any one else picking them and adding to their dishes? Just wish they didn't grow on pricker bushes. My arms and fingers don't need the extra slivers.
Rainey

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dairy_Queen helped me plant a strawberry patch and I can pick 2 or 3 a day. But they're AWESOME!

When I lived in Vancouver I could pick a pint of blackberries just taking the dog for a walk. They were fabulous and I miss them tremendously. Up there on the North Shore, they grow everywhere that they're not constantly pulled out of.

You're a lucky man, serape! Wink
Dairy_Queen

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Rainey, I'm so glad that your strawberry patch is such a success! Nothing like reaping the Fruits of Your Labor!

We've been experiencing horridly hot temperatures in Chicago/Michigan: in the 90's rather than the 70's we're supposed to be having. So, our berry crops have exploded and gone into over-drive. So, it means heavy crops...coming in FAST or they're just laid to waste.

The mulberries are in, the strawberries are almost over, and the blueberries are still to come. Raspberries strike mid-season, so we're still importing them from ports unknown.

I love picking my own berries; such a satisfying thing.
Sarape

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dairy_Queen wrote:

Except that it takes so long. Sad You can pick a bag of peaches in 5 minutes. It takes 5 minutes to pick a cup of berries.

Aren't fresh-picked red raspberries the ne plus ultra of fruits? In Ohio I grew up with a raspberry row of bushes 100 feet from our front door.
David

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well we're still awaiting the first strawberries up here. Should be ready in another week or two. There are a number of strawberry fields near our property so I get to buy REAL local! I'm just so glad the rhubarb and strawberry seasons overlap!
Dairy_Queen

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sarape wrote:
Dairy_Queen wrote:

Except that it takes so long. Sad You can pick a bag of peaches in 5 minutes. It takes 5 minutes to pick a cup of berries.

Aren't fresh-picked red raspberries the ne plus ultra of fruits? In Ohio I grew up with a raspberry row of bushes 100 feet from our front door.

Sarape: This topic brought to mind something that hadn't tickled a brain area in ages! When I was very, very wee (like 3-4 years old), my Grandparents had a massive raspberry patch, about 30' by 15'. As kids are wont to do, I crawled inside of the patch one day, to find out that dead center, there was a completely bald spot without canes or debris! That place used to be my Secret Hideaway for all the years I lived with my Grandparents; I remember lying down on the fragrant Earth, surrounded by protected raspberry canes, and staring up at the Morning Glory blue sky, filtered through raspberry leaves. Casually, I'd reach out a chubby hand and pluck raspberries from their holdings and just feel so safe and protected where I lay.

I have very fond memories of those times. To be 4 years old again, and in a time that was safe for children to be unattended! I'd love for Sally and my kids to have these experiences.,,sigh...
Sarape

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing, the raspberry patch that I remember also had a hollow center where we could climb inside and be surrounded and protected by the branches.

Picked another 2 cups of blackberries today for tonights supper.

Blackberry risotto.

Mmmm. Very Happy
Rainey

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dairy_Queen wrote:
As kids are wont to do, I crawled inside of the patch one day, to find out that dead center, there was a completely bald spot without canes or debris! That place used to be my Secret Hideaway for all the years I lived with my Grandparents; I remember lying down on the fragrant Earth, surrounded by protected raspberry canes, and staring up at the Morning Glory blue sky, filtered through raspberry leaves. Casually, I'd reach out a chubby hand and pluck raspberries from their holdings and just feel so safe and protected where I lay.

Sounds very sweet but how the &%^$ did you manage to get any distance through the thorns?
Rainey

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sarape wrote:
Blackberry risotto.

Mmmm. Very Happy

Do tell! Is this like a rice pudding with blackberries?
rebecca

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone else go wild berry picking? Montana has an abundance of edible wild berries: the legendary huckleberry, serviceberry, gooseberries, chokecherries, elderberries, buffalo berries, Oregon grape, whortleberries, wild plums (okay, that's not a berry, but I pick them on my annual wild blackberry picking trip to central Idaho), currants and wild strawberries. Every year I make several trips up into the mountains around my city to go berry picking. I love to make my own jam out of wild fruits. They are often so much tastier than domestic berries.
Dawna

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was a kid, one of my favourite things to do was berry-pick. We would go out to the power lines and pick blackberries and fraises du bois, and up the mountain to get buckets of wild blue huckleberries. Huckleberry pie is my absolute favourite fruit pie! Some years we would get tons of berries, and some years the bears would beat us to 'em, and we'd only get a couple of little containers.

We'd also pick Oregon grapes for jam - they grew wild in our back yard! and salmonberries, but we didn't cook with those, just ate them out of hand.

Service berry? That is something I am not familiar with!
Sarape

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm far from being a kid, but I'm still picking berries.

Blackberry risotto and Rice pudding -- guess it looks like that but I eat it hot like a hot cereal. Of course, no recipe. I'm just adding a cup or two of blackberries to the mixture.

If I ever accumulate enough berries, I throw them in a pot and simmer them for an afternoon and just make a berry paste out of it. Guess it is sort of a jelly without the added sugar.
rebecca

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dawna wrote:
Service berry? That is something I am not familiar with!

The serviceberry is known by a few names: sarvisberry, juneberry, shadbush and saskatoon berry (Saskatoon should sound familiar! Wink ). It grows from east to west across the northern US and southern Canada. Pictures and more information about this hardy little berry can be found here. In both looks and taste it closely resembles a blueberry, only without the blueberry's tartness. It makes wonderful pies, and is particularly good combined with blueberries in jams and jellies. Native Americans used serviceberries when making pemmican.

I'm so glad someone else knows about huckleberries! Huckleberry pie is one of my favorites, too. I am always disappointed when I go into a local cafe that advertises "huckleberry pie" prominently on the menu and the filling is all gelatin and few berries. It happens more often in huckleberry country than you would think!
Dairy_Queen

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rainey wrote:

Sounds very sweet but how the &%^$ did you manage to get any distance through the thorns?

Rainey: Remember, it was a farm that I grew up on, so the raspberries were treated as a crop and hence, crop management. There was a good 18" between plants and 2' between rows: but the center had died out completely, giving a wee child a Raspberry Room.

If it was normal brambles, tumbling and boiling over itself, only a Briar Rabbit could get through that mess!
David

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huckleberries!!!!! I was the family champion at picking these lovely morsels as a child growing up south of Vancouver. It sure took awhile to pick enough for a pie but I loved putting that tin with the string attached around my neck and heading into the woods around our place. And the same with wild blackberries, not the large ones (Himalayan?) but the small ones that a friend of mine raised here in Ontario refers to as "black raspberries". Wonderful pie memories.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: