Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Berry Tales -- start picking
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dawna

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rebecca wrote:

The serviceberry is known by a few names: sarvisberry, juneberry, shadbush and saskatoon berry (Saskatoon should sound familiar! ).

I'm so glad someone else knows about huckleberries! Huckleberry pie is one of my favorites, too. I am always disappointed when I go into a local cafe that advertises "huckleberry pie" prominently on the menu and the filling is all gelatin and few berries. It happens more often in huckleberry country than you would think!

Ah, now Saskatoon berries I know! They make a pretty decent pie, too, but are also very good as a platz or coffee cake. And jam. I've even had Saskatoon berry tea!

I don't think I've ever had huckleberry pie in a restaurant. I would probably feel like crying, though, if I ordered one and got what you describe...
rebecca

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a sad, sad thing indeed to see any fruit pie nearly devoid of said fruit.
David

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For all things saskatoon berry

www.theberryfarm.com

I love the little urchins. When visiting Saskatoon now I try to make it a point to go to The Berry Barn for a big lunch of perogies with sour cream and fried onions followed by a slab of Saskatoon Berry Pie. Saskatchewan may be mostly flat and plain-----but it sure tastes good!!!
Sarape

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
...a big lunch of perogies with sour cream and fried onions followed by a slab of Saskatoon Berry Pie.

That's an idea for a berry perogie.

Which in my mind would be nothing different from a berry pie but without added sugar so that it would be eaten as a main course.
David

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had berry perogies Sarape, and they were delightful. Perogies really can have just about any filling. Perogie dough is "softer" than a pie dough but tough enough to stand up to boiling.
rebecca

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the great things about the service (Saskatoon) berry is that it holds its shape really well after being cooked. It rarely turns into mush when baked into a pie--so it always has a good, hearty texture. I've found that cinnamon really compliments it well in pie fillings.
Dairy_Queen

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
For all things saskatoon berry

www.theberryfarm.com

I love the little urchins. When visiting Saskatoon now I try to make it a point to go to The Berry Barn for a big lunch of perogies with sour cream and fried onions followed by a slab of Saskatoon Berry Pie. Saskatchewan may be mostly flat and plain-----but it sure tastes good!!!

I've tried this link all day long with NO success. Crying or Very sad Anyone else having problems with it?
Dawna

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sarape,

My mother used to make strawberry perogies. She never made blueberry ones, but she told us that they used to have them when they were kids. I think we had some plum perogies, one year, too. Very tasty! She'd mix a little honey into the sour cream, or mash a few berries and stir it into the sour cream for a garnish. It can make a delicious and pretty plate!
Rainey

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Berry perogies sound very promising. If you do berries, do you, perhaps, fry them a bit after they're boiled to add a bit of color and texture to the pasta-like dough? Or do you just boil 'em and think of them as something between an entrée and a dessert item?
Dairy_Queen

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rainey wrote:
Berry perogies sound very promising. If you do berries, do you, perhaps, fry them a bit after they're boiled to add a bit of color and texture to the pasta-like dough? Or do you just boil 'em and think of them as something between an entrée and a dessert item?

Rainey: Chicago is a very Polish city and in certain neighborhoods you can still find good perogie restaurants. I've had strawberry, plum, blueberry and cream cheese perogies and each and every one of them is fried in butter after it's boiled. Then, they are topped with either sour cream or powdered sugar.

A mixed fruit plate is sure delight!
Dawna

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rainey, I've had them both ways. I've also had them deep-fried, and steamed like dim sum. I don't mind which preparation is used, as long as I get my sour cream sauce!
David

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rainey, the colour just bleeds through when they are boiling--quite pretty.

DQ I'll go back and search for the site again, perhaps I wrote it down incorrectly, wouldn't be the first time.
simona

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you all well know, there is nothing to pick in the a hot country like Israel. Strawberry season begins in January and it's finished on the first days of June. No berries here but the frozen ones. This topic only brings back to me childhood memories, when we spent the summer in the Carpathes Mountains ( of Dracula fame), and I was going with my mother in the woods to pick the tiny little perfumed FRAISES DE BOIS ( I don't know their name in english). Since then, whenever I'm in Europe I buy them though they are quite expensive, and when in the mountains I look for them. I hope next week in Berlin to find some, and then in Paris too .
I did buy lots of them in Italy last month. All of you northern folks are so lucky berry wise!

No more war, more strange named berries !
simona

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you all well know, there is nothing to pick in the a hot country like Israel. Strawberry season begins in January and it's finished on the first days of June. No berries here but the frozen ones. This topic only brings back to me childhood memories, when we spent the summer in the Carpathes Mountains ( of Dracula fame), and I was going with my mother in the woods to pick the tiny little perfumed FRAISES DE BOIS ( I don't know their name in english). Since then, whenever I'm in Europe I buy them though they are quite expensive, and when in the mountains I look for them. I hope next week in Berlin to find some, and then in Paris too .
I did buy lots of them in Italy last month. All of you northern folks are so lucky berry wise!

No more war, more strange named berries !
David

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well DQ, I'm quite the klutz I'm afraid. Embarassed

Try instead www.theberrybarn.com and I think you'll have better luck!

You can also see their on-line products at www3.sk.sympatico.ca/derdg

And simona, those wonderful little strawberries are simply called wild strawberries in this neck of the woods. Lovely things!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: