Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

BBQ (grilled) pizza

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JustMe

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:34 pm    Post subject: BBQ (grilled) pizza Reply with quote

Ooops...accidentally put this in the wrong forum. Let's try that again.

I have seen several foodie articles talking about grilled pizza. I am dying to try it but am afraid that the dough will either stick to the grill or sag through the grill. I have a breadmaker & usually use that to make my pizza dough.

For toppings I was thinking along the lines of fresh herbs, fresh tomatoes (or sun dried), feta cheese...

Has anyone tried grilled pizza? Any hints and/or suggestions?
DrBiggles

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: BBQ (grilled) pizza Reply with quote

I haven't done it, but I can give you some ways of dealing with it.

As far as sticking, don't sweat it. Clean that portion of your grill really well. Get the grill up to temperature and then rub a paper towel that has a goodly amount of some durable oil on it. By durable I suggest corn, grapeseed ... something along those lines. Install your pizza. Let it sit, don't fuss with it. When the dough is ready, it will release from the grill. The same principle is used when using a cast iron skillet, the pan will give up the food when it's good & ready. I don't believe it'll sag, unless your grates are really huge. It's worth a try don't you think?

Biggles
www.meathenge.com
Rainey

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you got a pizza stone? Put it on the grill and let it heat up. The thicker it is, the better but all terra cotta is at risk of breaking at temperatures over 500 degrees so try to stay around 475 for insurance. Trust me, I've broken a lot of terra cotta on my grill but, fortunately, a pizza stone still works even in two pieces.

Using a peel dusted with cornmeal or semolina or the flat back of a cookie sheet similarly prepared, slide the risen dough onto the stone.

Biggles, I know this approach will disappoint you, but I'm outside working on my fruitwood chips right now and if you want to PM me your snailmail addie I could send you a bundle of fig brances to chip up and try your own self to make it up to you.

Smooches!
tomatoes

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is super easy. I use Bobby Flay's flat bread recipe, put some spray pam on the grill and am good to go!
CasaHaggis

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've had really great experience grilling pizza. I absolutely love the taste of pizza crust that has been grilled, actually any grilled bread is great. We use a pizza stone and something that we've learned is that the stone gets progressively hotter on the grill at a much faster rate than in the oven and there can be hot spots. Once we've corrected for those, it's usually great pizza without the fuss.

Enjoy! Very Happy

P.S. I've read that calzones work well on the grill sans stone. If anyone has experiences or a great recipe to share, please do!
mike g.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just did some great pizza on the grill last night ! The technique and recipes are from an old (maybe 10 year old???) issue of Food and Wine, it's really good. The dough itself is fairly standard recipe for pizza dough, which includes olive oil, in addition of course to a bit of sugar, salt (kosher) flour, water and yeast. The technique is the important part: when ready to make your pizza, you get your brushed-clean grill nice and hot and oiled, divide the ball of dough into smaller portions (e.g., four portions for an approximately 4 cup flour pizza recipe), then one by one, flatten the pieces of dough very thin - you can use your hands and a lightly oiled baking sheet. Then, you put your dough on the grill, grilling ONLY ONE side. You want it to get nicely crisped and grill-marked, but not burnt to a crisp. This should only take a minute or two if your grill is good and hot. I use a wide spatula and a pair of tongs to check the state of the dough as it's grilling and to move it around as needed.

Once the first side is done, remove from the grill and put back onto a lightly oiled baking sheet, with the grilled side up. This is going to be the top surface of your pizza, upon which you now put the ingrediants. Brush the top surface lightly with olive oil, and put a light assortment of your favorite toppings (the recipe I used called for blanched white corn kernels, a mixture of grated fontina and romano cheese, crushed red pepper flakes, chopped tomatoes and assorted chopped fresh herbs). Now you carefully (with the wide spatula) move the pizza back onto the grill and finish (I cover the grill at this point, to ensure the toppings melt a bit). Again, it should only take a few minutes and you're set ! I did two small pizzas at a time, for a small get-together with another couple - this could be either a nice first course or even light entree. Enjoy !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: