Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

favorite magazines

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How many magazine subscriptions do you currently have?
I don't have any
14%
 14%  [ 2 ]
1-5
64%
 64%  [ 9 ]
6-10
14%
 14%  [ 2 ]
11+
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 14

Cupcake Carrie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:31 pm    Post subject: favorite magazines Reply with quote

Just curious as to everybody's favorite magazines. Are there some you can't live without?

My favorites include:
Country Living
Bon Appetit
CE Lifestyles
Real Simple

How about you? What can't you wait to read cover-to-cover when it comes in the mail?
Debbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good topic. I have a few subscriptions, some which my husband and I share.

Archeaology Digest (pour moi)
Sky and Telescope (pour nous)
Science et Vie (pour nous)
Australian Good Taste (pour moi) just lapsed now.....

I also have a few technical/resource journals that I use for my work which I subscribe to by mail and email.

I am also a food magazine addict and buy them whenever I see them... sometimes I think it might be easier to subscribe. But then I also love cookbooks and am always buying them too, and novels and journals and... maybe I am just a print addict?!
Shanti

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently I receive:

Cooking Light
Cooks Illustrated
Eating Well

and Yoga Journal

It's kind of a race to see who gets to read Cooks Illustrated first in our house... Rolling Eyes I've been a subscriber to Cooking Light for about 5 years now - I just love the variety they offer. I'd have to admit that that magazine more than anything has changed the way I cook and has really help expand my appreciation for the wide variety of food in the world.

editing to add - I forgot I also receive Backpacker and Health. Both were gift subscriptions.

Last edited by Shanti on Tue Jun 14, 2005 2:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dawna

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have any subscriptions, because the one magazine that I would subscribe to (Cook's Illustrated) is one that I don't want rolled up and crammed through my mail-slot. So, the nice gentleman at my local magazine store calls me the minute the new one arrives, and I trot out and buy a fresh, clean, pristine copy. I have all of them, plan to continue. As a Canadian, I wouldn't really save much if I subscribed anyway, so I don't bother.

I love the recipe collections from Cooking Light, but I cannot abide their monthly magazine. Too many lifestyle articles and and ads for my taste. The collections, though expensive, are well worth the wait. I have five of them - 3 annual collections and two Soups & Stews. I've made at least five recipes out of each (except the most recent, but I'll get there!) and they are recipes worth repeating.

I have a few issues of Fine Cooking, but don't pick up every issue, or even most of them.

Eating Well is an attractive magazine, but so far I only have one issue, from which I have made one recipe - a stuffed turkey breast in cider gravy. It was splendid.
VictoriaLH

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well mine make me sound lots yuppier than I really am, but they are:

Gourmet
Martha Stewart, now that she's back
Cat Fancy

I used to get the New Yorker, but they come so often that I could never get thru them all so I did not renew. But I did love it. Also used to get Vegetarian Times, but we are trying to pare down magazines so it had to go.
We get so many catalogs, that keeps me quite busy!

My mom had always suscribed to Gourmet, so its kind of a legacy thing. Too bad she was such a bad cook.
Sarape

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest we boycott these monthly magazines. I've seen them at the library and it looks like nothing but more promotion of consumerism.

They try to imply that Wolf stoves and fancy appliances and dishes and expensive windows and colorful spoons make life more enjoyable.

Spend more more more and the quality of life goes up up up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: