Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

The Next Food TV Network Star
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Resources
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rebecca

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:35 pm    Post subject: The Next Food TV Network Star Reply with quote

Is anyone else on C & Z watching this show? I'm a regular viewer of the Food TV Network here in the states. I don't have access to the Internet on Sunday nights, otherwise I would vote on the finalist this coming Sunday. Does anyone have any opinions on the finalists, the selection process, the challenges, the recipes or all the technical stuff (I had no idea cooking on camera was so complicated!) that's part of making a cooking show?
Rainey

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rebecca- I meant to reply to this earlier. I've seen it a couple of times. It's interesting but I'm not sure I'd really care to see any of them on a continuing basis. SOooo, tell me who you want to vote for and I'll be happy to cast that vote.

I have very ambivalent feelings about the Food Network. There are people I enjoy watching a lot and there are people I learn from. But soooo much of their energy seems to go into people I find useless to obnoxious.

But, in this case, I'm happy if I can do something to improve the chances of someone YOU'd like to see more of.
rebecca

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha! I'm happy to have you as my proxy vote, but I too am not all that enthusiastic about the contestants. I thought it was just me who was thinking "eh". Very Happy

The ones left as of today are Hans, Deborah, Dan & Steve and Susannah. Hans seems to know his stuff when it comes to cooking--he's confident with handing food, but he has (so far on camera) such a bland personality. Based on confidence in the kitchen I would have to vote for him because the other four either seem disorganized or (like Susannah) have a one-note schtick.

I really can't see myself tuning into any of them on a long term basis--not the way I do when I know Alton Brown or Iron Chef America is on and I actually take the time to sit with pencil and paper in hand to jot notes on recipes and techniques that catch my eye. You're right about the amount of annoying hosts on the network. Somewhere along the way, some of them have lost that critical balance between good cooking and a good personality. I like to watch Food TV because it's the televised equivalent of comfort food for me, without all the calories! Wink I'd rather you watch the final episode on your own if you're interested on Sunday night and vote for who you prefer.

I did copy two of the recipes demonstrated during the course of the series: Michael's Chocolate Tofu Mousse Pie and (regular host) Paula Deen's Black and Blue Burgers. The former looks like a good way to enjoy chocolate without the calories and the latter, well, butter and blue cheese in a burger...what could possibly be better?
Rainey

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AB is one of my favorites too. Very Happy It's soooo helpful to understand a bit of the science involved in cooking. Makes it easier to predict what will happen and frees you to experiment a bit more. And his "standards" are tasty and reliable.
rebecca

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I love Alton for the same reason! His show is half science experiment-half yummy cooking! A friend of mine bought his "I'm Just Here for the Food" kitchen notebook guide for me this past Christmas. It's very fun: lots of cooking term definitions, butchering guides to every edible critter, Q & As, plastic pouches to keep assorted warranties and recipts, and blank pages with space-age 1950s designs in the background to paste recipes and scribble notes.
Sarape

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Alton Brown could use a style change. He's got a good concept explaining the science of food and cooking. But, I can't tolerate his character. He's simply annoying with that pretense that everything he does is so hip or cool.

Most of the other Food Network personalities are a least tolerable. Though, as we've discussed in the past, both Emiril and Rachell Ray are pretty bad.

I saw a preview for their show to pick a new host and they showed brief clips of some of the thousands of tapes they received from potential contestants. Examples include: A naked lady in a bath filled with water and fruit, people dressed as vegetables, guys pretending their great looking, women thinking they are SuperMom...

Just give me a John-Wayne western where they build a fire at the end of the day and throw beans in a cast-iron pot and sit around and talk the night away then fall asleep.
rebecca

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many of my friends dislike Rachael Ray, and each have a different reason. I don't find her to be so bad. I wonder why she's so unpopular?
Rainey

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I turn the channel at the very first sound of her voice. ... if I haven't already been clued by the music. I can't take her idiotic giggling, her mugging at the camera or the fact that there's no originality to her food, nor much in the way of instruction.

As for AB, sarape, I think I'd enjoy his company as much as I enjoy his show. I know he's silly and over the top as *^&% in those personas but I think it comes with having such a creative mind and high energy level. Also, besides keeping the science from getting too dry, it helps make the points more memorable and accessible than if we tried to hold onto the abstractions.

Just my personal preferences (which, for some reason, the Food Network has so far and inexplicably failed to take into account.... Shocked )
rebecca

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, shocking that! Wink
Rainey

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing

What did you think of the outcome? I guess I think it came out about right but I was shocked when they dumped Hans after he, clearly to me, had the most interesting menu from the given ingredients and didn't blow it like Debra did the last couple trials. Confused
fannie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Rainey 100%. Deborah, while she may have personality, is not so polished in front of the camera and always tries to lay it on too thick. Hans clearly has the confidence and the skills in the kitchen and made the crucial mistake of talking too fast in his last demo. The committee pinned it on the nose when they said he made great food but not great TV. What a shame! I watch the show to be inspired and educated and Deborah looks like me in the kitchen...not so sure how long to cook pork chops!!!

I plan on voting for Dan and Steve. While they are a little annoying and the constant running around the kitchen makes my head spin, they are funny and carried out their tasks with more skill and ingenuity than Deborah.
rebecca

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a surprised by the outcome. Hans was doing so well until his last trial. He was charming, personable and demonstrated excellent dishes with Harry Smith and then...kablooey. He went to pieces and reverted back to his fast-talking, rambling self with his final challenge. It almost felt like, to me, he deliberately threw in the towel. Maybe he didn't really want to have the pressure of being on television. Who knows? It's just a guess on my part.

I wasn't happy with either of the finalists. Since it sounds like fannie hasn't seen the last show, I'll refrain from discussing them in detail. Perhaps Clotilde should have sent in a tape to the Food TV Network! Wink
fannie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rebecca, I just looked on the foodnetwork site because I did watch last night...I must have walked out of the room when they announced the winner. I thought we had a week to vote. Silly me!

In any case, I don't think it will be a show I'll tune in to watch.

Well, thanks for waiting to discuss until I figured out where I put my brain!

cheers
Rainey

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought, as he said, he devised an ambitious menu and needed to get in a lot of information and felt obligated to talk fast for that specific challenge. Consequently, having demonstrated repeatedly that he could adapt to the notes they gave him, it seemed unnecessary to eliminate him for the reason they offered. It was clear to me, that, given some producing and editing in a real life production situation, there wasn't any reason to think he wouldn't have risen to the challenge and provided a show with content.

More's the pity that they didn't let the audience have that choice....
rebecca

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but they reminded Hans over and over again not to talk so fast, no matter what the challenge. That said, I totally agree with your viewpoint. I think he would have, with time, become a great host with some great dishes. I'm German, so I appreciate it whenever I see someone make schnitzel on television! Very Happy

I'm sure Dan and Steve are nice people (And hey! Who doesn't love the idea of a lobster pot pie?), but their jokey banter is too cutesy for me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Resources All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: