Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

What is your most favorite brand/kind of Chocolate?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
calypso

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:21 pm    Post subject: What is your most favorite brand/kind of Chocolate? Reply with quote

For me the answer to this is definitely VALRHONA. From the baking chocolates to the ballotin boxes, guanaja, to manjari...

What's yours?
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Adelaide we are blessed to have Haighs, a 4th-generation family business. They consistently win prizes for their wonderful chocolates. One brother runs the company and the other is the chocolate maker. They still roast their own cocoa beans, one of the few who still do, according to their website ....

http://www.haighs.com.au/dir29/ws.nsf/Publish/2254

I live a few kilometres from their factory, where they do tours every day. I don't quite get to smell the chocolate from my place, but the people who live closer to the factory do, lucky things!!

They have shops in Sydney, Melbourne and Adelaide, but I'm not sure if they have ventured overseas.
Joni

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a big fan of Scharffenberger and also Valrhona.
mary g

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of the kinds I've tried, my favorites are El Rey (Venezuelan, I think), and Scharfenberger. I also like Lindt 85%Cocoa a lot too--very intense.
natalie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 4:54 am    Post subject: bliss and beyond Reply with quote

definitely the Parisian based Maison du Chocolat

Anything from Maison du Chocolat and I'm in a new and happier place.
I tried the 100% a few weeks ago. a tiny piece created a feeling of bliss, and curbed all chocolate craving for a good 25minutes!!! (The gentleman behind the counter was insistent that we try before we buy -- I think I like that policy in a chocolate shop!)
I also love their mint infused (zagora, I think), and ginger infused truffles.
ooohhh...I'm about to drool.

Luckily I live close enough to New York to stock up occasionally. Even luckier, I am far enough away that it is [i]occasional[/i]!
wasabi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What is your most favorite brand/kind of Chocolate? Reply with quote

Do I have to choose just one?!? really, any excuse to stash away (and eat) more chocolate...

Valrhona is a champ -- souffles, flourless chocolate ckaes, the best flavor.

Scharffen Berger is also quite good, I love their bittersweet and their Home Chef bars are the main ingredients for a Chocolate-Chile Pecan Cake.

There is a Catalonian chocolatier called Blanxart that start mid-20th century. they only make four flavors in bars (tons of truffles and other confections though). a friend of mine served chocolate crostini -- good bread brushed with extra-virgin olive oil, a chunk of Blanxart dark melted. glistening from teh heat but still holding its shape. he sprinkled it with some fleur de sel. pop the whole thing into your mouth...WOW.

reading Clotilde's Chocolate Chile Bites recipe made me think of one my favorite chocolate bars -- Pepperoncino bars from Venchi, an Italian company.
David

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our household favourite is Purdy's, a small family chocolate company out of Victoria B.C.. They have a number of stores in Victoria and Vancouver (another reason to get misty about the west coast Erin!) and our annual pilgirmage west always includes a trip to Purdy's!
Barbara

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: What is your most favorite brand/kind of Chocolate? Reply with quote

Valrhona (dark) when I'm being serious but I love Bacci especially the little messages inside the wrapper.
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, Baci. A grateful patient gave us a box of them just last night and they really helped lift our spirits and our blood sugar levels in the wee small hours of this morning.
Rainey

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised to see no one mentioned Callebaut. Or is that just a North American/West Coast thing? The family was originally French, moved to Canada (Eastern Canada, I thought) and grew to supply West Coast Canada and the US with excellent chocolate.

When I'm in BC I always have to bring the kids back Purdy's chocolate hedgehogs. ;> But I thought the question was probably about chocolate for bakingm candy and couverture rather than dipped chocolates.
David

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rainey! Callebaut ! Of course, wonderful wonderful stuff. They are now centred in Calgary and I know they have stores in Saskatoon, don't know about the coast itself, certainly nothing here in central Canada. Hmm, should start buying chocolate when visiting the mother in Toon town from now on, then again why shouldn't one indulge in both Purdy's and Callebaut! Pleasantly surprised they've made it stateside!
Rainey

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
Rainey! Callebaut ! ... Pleasantly surprised they've made it stateside!

I have to look for it and don't always find it. I think it's a chi-chi kitchen supplies store called Sur La Table and a wonderful healthfood store called Whole Foods where I am able to get it from time to time.
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to use Callebaut and Valrhona, so far I have no undying allegence.

If I was going for confections I would say Dilletante then Rogers. Dilletante is number one for sure, their raspberry truffles changed the way I use fruit in my cooking.

"It's hot ham water."
Rainey

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got a King Arthur Bakers' Catalogue. They offer Callebaut too. Apparently there are production facilities in Vermont as well. Huh! Whodda thunk it?!
bestcopy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rainey wrote:
I'm surprised to see no one mentioned Callebaut. Or is that just a North American/West Coast thing? The family was originally French, moved to Canada (Eastern Canada, I thought) and grew to supply West Coast Canada and the US with excellent chocolate.

Not really. The family comes from Wieze, Belgium and has been producing chocolate since 1911. Not only consumers' products but also the chocolat de couverture, which is used by chocolatiers and manufacturers. In fact, most Belgian 'pralines' are produced with Callebaut couverture.
In 1980 the company became a part of the Swiss chocolate giant Suchard, then took over several other companies, such as the famed Van Houtten in Holland, and is now a market leader in several European countries, stikk producing for the consumer and professional markets. They have a good web site <http://www.callebaut.be/> with some nice recipes (check the chocophilia section at the sub-site<http://www.barry-callebaut.com>).
In 1983 Bernard Callebaut, part of the callebaut family, started his own chocolate business in Canada, respecting the same qualifications as the other Callebauts .
And yes, it remains one of the best chocolates in the world. Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: