Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Tour de France
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
le_gredin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 8:31 pm    Post subject: Tour de France Reply with quote

This is terrific! Here we are, people from all over the world doing exactly what Lakritz favors, exploring what connects us rather than the inhumanities of people. I've certainly learned a lot from this exchange (apart from the venue and perpetrator of Erin's first kiss!). The first girl I ever kissed...uh...well, maybe I should not tell THAT story!

But one thing that is universal among mankind is food. So kudos to all of you who share that interest. Delivering food is delivering love, and obviously all of you are skilled in that/those department(s).
Rainey

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Tour de France Reply with quote

le_gredin wrote:
The first girl I ever kissed...uh...well, maybe I should not tell THAT story!

Not so much le gredin after all... Wink

An excellent discussion and I want to take the time to respond to it adequately but I'm trying to record all my impressions of the tomato tasting on my blog and having a terrible time trying to manage the photos and the text. So I'll need to come back to this enlightening conversation at a later point.
simona

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noam Chomsky, yes, l'efant terrible of the sixties and seventies. Thank you for the link Lakritz, I read the article and also went to other links to refresh my Chomsky , while remembering my student years.
Shell eggs: I'm too heavy ( in the proper sense ) to be able to walk without breaking them, which I often do ( in the figurative sense ). So I break them, have my omelette ( proper and figurative sense) and bear the consequences ( proper and figurative sense).
It's a food blog, isn't it? Who does not LOVE a good, juicy omelette?
So let's break the shells .

No more war , no more broken limbs, more broken eggs shells
Barbara

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are we in NZ/Australia uncomfortable (or don't have the need) arguing politics because of our early British colonisation - or - is our our isolated geographical position a factor.

Or possibly our schooling system doesn't encourage it.
distria23

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the tour was great !! i'm very lucky to have circle my house at least 6 times . because paris is the arrival point . i don't have to leave my house at all to see it or take pictures . this year lance had a lot more support that in previous years especially form the other cyclists . entire afternoon were dedicated to the tour on tv here so we didn't miss a beat , its my second one and i can't wait 'till next year .
Barbara

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow - this post has just come full circle. It is back where it started and gosh what an amazing journey it has been on!

Lucky you distria23 to be so close to the action.
Sarape

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Tour de France Reply with quote

le_gredin wrote:
In the US, on the other hand, there is a prominent strain of anti-intellectualism. People here are, for the most part, more interested in the practical than the philosophical.

"Practical" possibly meaning "money"?

Seems money is now the most important goal in the United States. I don't have a clue of the importance of money in other contries. Success in the U.S. is often defined in terms of salary, property, wealth. No one defines success in terms of books, music, culture. A person who's well read and informed but not wealthy in material possesions is deemed a failure. (I'm generalizing, of course.)

One point I'll add about the animus between cultures is that the media loves bad news. So any example of French-American animus is elevated in the media to a national story. It's good business for the media. French and Americans kissing in the park doesn't sell. An example is the French author who accused Lance Armstrong of a history of steroid use. That was big news in the U.S.
simona

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Sarape, Jounalism IS about the man who bites the dog and not vice versa. If the kissing couple would be Bill Clinton and Brigitte Bardot ( the young version) I assure you the papers will mention the franco-American kiss. That is the journalists' job: to provide us with the spectacular, the frightening, the wars and not the sunday mass in the pastoral villages of Switzerland. The media is not perfect, but it's the reflection of an unperfect world. And moreover, everybody has the possibility to choose the paper he/she wants to read, the TV channel to see and hear, and still has the choice to judge by himself what to believe or not.

Money makes the world go round, in the USA or anywhere else. The Americans are maybe the only ones who are not ashamed and honest enough to say it loudly. The Europeans love money as much, they just embelish their love for money and power in philosophycal Blah blah. It's more elegant, less "dirty", but it's the same .

No more war
Barbara

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sarape - I once saw a TV documentary on why the US considers money wealth to be the sign of success. The theory was based on the way The Great Gatsby by Scott Fitzgerrald was taught in schools.
Sarape

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barbara wrote:
Sarape - I once saw a TV documentary on why the US considers money wealth to be the sign of success. The theory was based on the way The Great Gatsby by Scott Fitzgerrald was taught in schools.

Oh my God! If only we could believe that kids in school actually read The Great Gatsby! I'd be very happy to attribute our love of money to that book. Sadly, it is probably more MTV, VH1, Hollywood movies, and television which sows the seeds of money worship.

I recently read a book on the history of opera in America. It was very much the Vanderbuilts, Rockefellers, and other money families in New York who supported the opera during the late 19th and early 20-th century. They only attended on Monday evenings to show off. It was fashionable to arrive late in your box, make an entrance, and leave early. It was very much a show of fashion. So, Barbara, there is some evidence for your Gatsby data. At least 50 years ago probably.

simona wrote:
kissing couple would be Bill Clinton and Brigitte Bardot

Very funny. Smile Also glad to hear Americans aren't the only money-hungry people.
Pockymonkey

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be willing to believe that Gatsby is still a pretty common text in high schools even today. Gatsby is one of the few books that everyone I know, regardless of region of the country and type of school (public/private) had to read. And even though it feels like it sometimes when I am teaching a class and references to the Berlin Wall and Reagan draw blank stares from the undergraduates, I actually didn't graduate from high school all that long ago.
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pockymonkey is right, I read it 10 years ago and my neighbor's son read it last year. I personally did not enjoy the book, Fitzgerald is not on my list of favorites. My favorite book is "Catcher in the Rye" the first time I read it was in my junior year literature class.

My other favorite book is "Pride and Prejudice", because it teaches you to look beyond the surface.
One of the many reasons that Americans are sensitive is because we are in yet another time of political unrest in our country, and the nation is more divided than ever. I engage friends in political debates and we do not fight but instead discuss issues in a civilized way, my two best friends are conservative and I am a stark raving liberal. I cannot speak for my country because all opinions are very different. There is one thing I can say that has been my theme through out this thread, hate and prejudice have no place in this world.

Most Americans were taught that politics and religion are a taboo subject by their parents. Maybe some of what is being labled as ignorance and sensitivity is just a cultural difference that needs to be understood. There is also a language barrier to think about, I am including slang and expressions in that as well. Maybe through translation people are saying things that are meant in another way, you never know. Although it is not political I have a story to illustrate my point.

I was in high school and the SEXY ,(but taken), German exchange student Heribert leaned over to ask me to borrow a rubber. I attempted to supress a laugh and asked if he knew what that was and he mimed using an eraser. I then told him that in America a rubber was a condom and he might want to say eraser from now on. Heri turned beet red but we both enjoyed a laugh before getting in trouble for yalking during our history test. I forgot about Heri, he was hot, too bad his girlfriend would make even Giselle look bad.

For those who showed interest his name was Luc and it was by a tent soliciting support for Catholic Services. He had those eyes that make you forget your name and obviously that the Pope was due to arrive any minute. I guess grandma was right about me, I guess it is good I don't believe in hell.

In reading the above I have realized that I am a hopeless optimist and I never realized it. Excuse me while I go listen to The Damned for a while.

"It's hot ham water."
le_gredin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:03 am    Post subject: Tour de France Reply with quote

Well, if this thread goes on long enough, maybe we will learn ALL about Erin's love life while at the same time saving the world from conflict!

Ah, those celtic lasses.....
Sarape

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any of our French readers have any clues on this latest story about Armstrong using steroids? Lance has denied it here in the U.S., but this newspaper claims otherwise.

Obviously, this is not the first episode in this saga.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: