Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Buffet for 45ish
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 6:21 pm    Post subject: Buffet for 45ish Reply with quote

Help!!! (blush Embarassed ) (takes a deep breath) I'M GETTING MARRIED!! July 31st we are expecting about 45 people to celebrate with us. It will be a late afternoon affair followed by hors d'oeuvres and a buffet dinner. We will be taking the day off before to cook since we don't want to have to do too much on the Sunday itself. We're looking for hot and cold appetizers and buffet dishes that can be prepared in advance with little finishing required. Can you help or are we nuts!

Oh yeh, Mr. Romance himself popped the question by e-mail! Very Happy

Oh Canada!!!
JustMe

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations, David!

So, are you sure you want to do this yourself? Are you sure you don't want a caterer? Or at least, if you make the food the day before enlist the help (or hire) of someone(s) to do the serving for you. It's your day...make sure you stand back & enjoy it: leave the work for someone else.

Phyllos appetizers are always good & there are always great summer salads around. Have a browse through the on-line recipes at the LCBO from their Food and Drink magazine.

Oh Canada
is right! I'm proud to live in a country where this is possible.

Congrats, again!
melinda

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YAY DAVID.....CONGRATS .....lotsa champagne to be served would be my suggestion......
Rainey

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many, many years of happiness and growing ever closer together!

Let's see what we can come up with but I agree with JustMe that you really might want to pop for a caterer on this occasion so that you can spend your time enjoying it and the good wishes of the people who love you. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
cookies4andi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Buffet for 45ish Reply with quote

CONGRATULATIONS DAVID...... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
WISHING YOU YEARS,MOMENTS AND ENDLESS ADVENTURES TO SHARE!!!!!!!
I KNOW BECAUSE I AM MARRIED 42 YEARS Razz .....YIKES Confused
AND WE STILL LOOK GOOD AND LOVE EACH OTHER MORE OVER TIME....

let someone else help you with this Wink ... and sit back in your love state of mind Cool ......
Make great memories....
once again...
"CONGRATULATIONS"
ANDI*
swan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CONGRAUTLATIONS!!!!!

I'ts so cool that more and more countries make this possible and I'm kind'a proud beiing from progressive Netherlands Smile.

but that is totally besides the point...if you don't want to have someone help you, here are my recent favourites:
*salad made from watermelon cubes, feta cheese, basil (watermelon and basil is amazing togehter) and olive oil/lemonjuice/salt/pepper. (or add coriander leaves (cilantro?), black olives...).
*tabouleh salad with lots of herbs, cucumber and chickpeas, *pastasalad with cherry tomatoes, fresh basil, mozarella, olive oil.......*anything 'mini': quiches, satays, brownies, muffins, lemon merengues....do you have one of those stores nearby where restaurants stock up?They might have some good stuff in coolers or freezers...Or: choose a theme: Italian, where it's easy to have a lot of appatizers ready bought tasting fabulous( al kinds of meats and salami's, cheeses, bread, tapenade....)

Whatever you'll decide...

I wish you a very, very happy day. If I were closer I would come over and help you prepare the food...!
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic news, David. Many congratulations to you and Dick.

I can't really add any suggestions to what has already been offered, but let your friends help, I'm sure they would love to.

Have a wonderful day and don't forget to show us some photos!

www.cupcakerecipebook.com.au
Dawna

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations, David! O Canada, indeed, indeed!

If you like Indian food, you might consider that for the buffet dinner part. Since many curries not only are good for a couple of days, but often improve with time, it's just heat and dish on the day (enlist some friends to do the heavy lifting - you'll be too busy!).

Have a wonderful time of it all!
Bekbeka

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:12 am    Post subject: Congratulations! Reply with quote

Hi David

Being in the wedding frame of mind, having recently gotten married, and about to do it again (to the same man...the joys of inter-cultural relationships), I will put my 2 cents in about it. The day itself goes amazingly quickly, with all your loved ones there that you equally want to see, and not enough time to devote to all. Even though we did have caterers, it was very much an at-home thing & we were really hands on, with family friends doing the serving, and other things like me having to fetch salt and whiskeys for my father-in-law during the dinner (not having a specific 'go-to' person). Even if you do the food yourself - and it's a great idea - I recommend that you have dedicated helpers to serve, and organise it on the day, so that you can just kick back and enjoy. A work friend who did the food for his own civil union several weeks ago said that him and his new civil unionee/partner (we're still working on the jargon for that particular new legal relationship here in NZ), the day was really full on, and slightly out of control with all that they had to do, and they ended up being the last 2 people cleaning up at 2 in the morning. They provided a curry & rice for the mains (being vegans) and asked friends to bring a salad - another way to do it.
Anyway - good luck with the orgnaisation and have a fabulous, special special day!
Rainey

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been thinking about what could be done ahead and require minimum fuss at the last moment. So far, not too much progress but I'm hopeful that something wonderful will emerge when we all put our heads together.

Tell us:
• when will the happy event be?
* what will be in season locally at that time?
• what are your favorite things?
• is there some theme/type of cuisine you have in mind?
• are you thinking more along the lines of finger foods? or serve one's self from a buffet? or, perhaps and ambitiously, sit down?
• is budget a consideration? well, when isn't it, but what's yours like?
• will you have a traditional wedding cake? something more along the lines of individual cakes or something people can serve themselves? or some other type of dessert offerings besides or in addition to?
• how much oven/fridge space will you have available?
• are you thinking of serving within a limited time frame? or will you want trays (or something) that can be placed out/prettied up for continuous service?
• how much help will you have? in advance? and during your reception?

These things will help us come up with suggestions that are more helpful and do-able. And THANKS for letting us be part of this happy celebration!
Vickie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do like Indian food, that suggestion could be a winner! There are so many delicious options that are so colourful and creative, but easy to prepare, and as mentioned, actually really benefit with being made the day before. You could carry this theme over into the canapes by serving mini samosas, onion bahjis etc (again, make them the day before and pop in the oven on the day). Add a friend on rice duty and away you go.
simona

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dearest David, and Dick of course. I'm soooooooooooooooo happy for you and wish you all the best you may wish for yourslf. A very big MAZEL TOV , and as we say here , be blessed until you are 120! Bravo to Canada too.
Now practical me : as a caterer for the past 15 years ( specializing in small parties) , I agree with , and join all those who really beg you to get help, especially on the day of the ceremony. You should both, as well as your closest friends and relatives, be free to enjoy the company and the huggs , without worring about food and drinks. 45 is not a very big party, but big enough to need at least 3-4 helping pairs of hands. One barman, one in the kitchen, 2 for outside service and cleaning around . I would have liked to co-ordinate all that!!! ( I'm so sorry Ottawa is not around the corner from Tel Aviv)
As for menus, I have a lot of ideas/suggestions ,but Rainey's questions are exactly the kind I would have asked a potential client. Otherwise it's difficult to guess your preferences ( I think chocolate cake is a sure guess, religion notwithstanding).

Bekbeka, Mazel Tov to you too X 2. Would it be very indiscreet to ask you why two marriages, though it's a nice idea to celebrate twice.

No more war, many more of all kinds of love marriages !!!
brighidsdaughter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CONGRATULATIONS! I'm doing the happy dance for y'all. I'll be thinking, while hoping for some answers to Rainey's questions. Usual buffet food rules...food that doesn't have to be cut up, is easy to eat without much fuss, and tastes good whether eaten hot/warm or cold/cool, or even room temp.

Just so your day is a religious experience Wink I think you should hire a baker to make sinfully rich chocolate cake!
JustMe

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swan wrote:
*tabouleh salad with lots of herbs, cucumber and chickpeas
Excellent choice. I had a delicious couscous salad over the weekend that needs to sit for a day: lovely & light.

swan wrote:
salad made from watermelon cubes, feta cheese, basil (watermelon and basil is amazing togehter) and olive oil/lemonjuice/salt/pepper. (or add coriander leaves (cilantro?), black olives...)
Oh, Swan, this sounds so intriguing....do you have an actual recipe?

Melon & proscuitto is lovely, so refreshing in hot weather.

I mentioned earlier about phyllo appetizers: I have a recipe for some with feta cheese that are actually nice at room temperature.

Mini quiche or other kind of tartlets.
Debbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations!!!! What a fabulous bit of news to be able to share. Yes, romance is a funny thing isn't it. At least you did get asked if you would marry.... my romantic (in heavily ironic voice) darling woke me up at 7am one morning and said "if I ask you really nicely, will you marry me?" My response was "only if you ask REALLY nicely" whereby he didn't say another word and went back to sleep..... We're still married though so I obviously wasn't marrying him for romance...

My only advice is to repeat everything already said. Get assigned helpers for the day!!!!! Rainey pipped me at the post with questions.

I cook regularly at the British club here, so have a lot of recipes for large numbers that can be made simply and with a minimum of fuss. (The menu is a set menu each day so you have to be prepared for any number of people, we do not do options other than to offer vegan as an alternative) If you can answer Rainey's questions, and say what type of food you would like, I can provide limitless recipes.

I am so pleased for you both. As Simona said, you are a bit far away from us. If you were closer I would say that you could have had a whole lot of "volunteer cooks/servers/etc" on the big day. Oh well, we will just have to drink to your health and happiness from where we are instead.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: