Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Buffet for 45ish
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gosh! Thank you all for your good wishes! We picked up the marriage license this morning at our local town hall. Not an eye batted and we live in a very conservative rural area. July 31st is the big day, we wanted to get it done before our annual pilgrimage out west to see our families and some friends.

Now having made you all think so hard-------------------we got a phone call last night from France, Dick's business partner's wife and they have insisted on takingover all the catering duties! A generous , generous offer that we have decided to accept! So that really frees us up, and in truth I was a little frightened of catering to those numbers so suggestions of getting it catered were encouraging for me.

I must say I do like the idea of an Indian feast and hope to do it for a dinner party later on, I love cooking Indian, all those dazzling colours and odours!

And swan, yeah, finally we catch up to the Netherlands! And that watermelon salad is going to be on my table very soon. If you have a recipe I know we'd all like it, or is it something you just choose to eyeball, which would probably be fine with those ingredients. And what kind of basil?

Again I want to thank you all for your warmth and welcoming voices!
Chicago Bear

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the Mexican culture, which I married into, the tradition is to have padrinos--or sponsors--of different parts of the wedding. Someone is responsible for the bar, someone else is responsible for the flowers at the church, and so on. It makes everyone feel like they've contributed something meaningful to the ceremony, and spreads the cost and burden of putting it together. You already have the food part covered with friends who have become padrinos, so think about the bar and the dessert and other parts of the celebration. Trust me, it will make your friends feel really good to be part of your happy day. I was going to volunteer my back yard--which you will recall we used for the potato salad fest--but I'm guessing that your friends would find the drive too long. However, you and Dick must have at least one shot of tequila to celebrate. And then you can think about us Mexicans south of your border who wish you the best!
Rainey

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chicago Bear- The padrino idea is really lovely! I think that would share the success and happiness of the event in an absolutely fundamental way.

David- Perhaps you'd enjoy the sentiment of a bumper sticker I ran across just yesterday: 4 out of 5 Baptist divorcees really resent gays undermining the sanctity of marriage. It may be you'd need to be in touch with some of our cultural stereotypes to fully enjoy that. But, since we've insisted on playing them out on an international scale, perhaps not. Wink
JustMe

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am glad for your good fortune about the catering! And it's a holiday weekend: bonus!

That padrino idea makes soooo much sense. A few years ago my nephew got married, they didn't have a whole lot of money to spend on a wedding & didn't really want to. They made it "potluck" basically. Well, the buffet spread was absolutely impressive and because it was a wedding everyone used their finest crystal & china. The buffet table would have made any caterer envious. People took turns tending bar...it was probably one of the best weddings we ever attended!

Looking forward to a full report.
David

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chi-Bear, thanks for the kind offer of your yard!! Very Happy But I'm only giving my staff the one day off so i guess we will just use your good wishes instead. And I will remember the tequila!! The padrino concept is wonderful. What I like about it, from your description is the fact that it is institutionalized making it a constant cultural icon----a concept respected and welcomed by the whole community. We will be relying on friends to tend the bar---our son is doing the photography and another friend is the celebrant--so we are part way there!

Rainey that is priceless----it translates quite well to this side of the border too. A few Members of Parliament have been refused communion at their Roman Catholic churches for supporting the bill! (yet oddly enough all those couples who have been married over 20 years and only managed to reproduce once or twice get off scott free---------hmmm).
Bekbeka

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Simona
(as an aside to the of planning David's wedding feast & to explain the 2 weddings thing) - this comes about from him being French and me a kiwi - and, as is with the way with weddings - us wanting to celebrate with our families has (somehow - we're still not quite sure how) ballooned into 2 weddings. Our first was a civil ceremony here, and next month we will have a church ceremony in France.

I've really enjoyed reading these descriptions of different traditions for weddings, especially the padrino idea. I think that traditions & ceremony are important, but I also like the way that nowadays people can create their own distinct ceremony and celebration, based on what and who is important to them - just like it sounds like you're doing David. Have a fantastic time!
simona

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bekbeka,
Thanks to Barbara, I know that you are not a brown coated green fruit (kiwi) but a New Zeelander.(kiwi)
Once again. double congratulations, and I believe Chlotilde could help you with the french part of the ceremony.

David dear, so good to have such wonderful friends !

Here, in the far away Middle East, we eat watermelon with feta. Watching the sunset on the Mediterrenian. It's delicious... and romantic.

Be happy

Simona
David

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just never would have thought of watermelon and feta! Yet it sounds perfect, sweet and salty, wet and dry!

Thanks Bekbekka and enjoy your weddings!!
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David, I'm so pleased it's all working out so well for you.

I just had to share this snippet with you about a wedding I heard about recently.

A work colleague's young daughter recently got married. Had the wedding in her grandmother's garden and had her little Jack Russell terrier as her bridesmaid!

They dressed the dog up in a little fairy tutu with a pink embroidered baby's singlet and a tulle neck ruff. Pearls around her neck and they even painted her toenails pink!

She behaved beautifully, didn't throw any hissy fits as many bridesmaids are prone to doing and was much cheaper to dress than a 'real' bridesmaid. The only problem for you would be to choose which of your furry friends to do the honours. Or you could just have all of them in the wedding party.

www.cupcakerecipebook.com.au
Barbara

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David - and congratulations to you both from me. I hope you have a wonderful day and a good life together.
Lakritz

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear David,

wishing you all the very best on a very special day, and of course a life time of happiness together!!!

So nice of your friends to do the catering, you'll be so glad on the day that all you have to worry about is looking radiant... Very Happy

And I'm sure I'm not the only one who will raise a glass to both of you on that Sunday!
MelC

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and congrats!

If chocolate cake is your passion, you have to try a flourless chocolate torte! Exclamation My favourite contains only 3 ingredients... butter, eggs and the best dark chocolate you can get your hands on! It's so rich and yummy that I always serve it with a side of raspberry puree and whipped cream...
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:12 pm    Post subject: WHAT GORGEOUS NEWS... Reply with quote

WHAT A BUZZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

David, it's such a joy that we can share your joy!...

A thought ~ unless you absolutely THRIVE on this food preparation + big event stuff...give a thought to delegating....and bask in the moment..

Soooooooooooo often the day, for many couples, seems to be a blur ~ so much to think about etc...

David ~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ oh golly ...here I am grinning broadly at the computer screen...hugs by the zillion....another aspect of c'nz...the sharing of life stories.

am thrilled to bits for you and the dear asker!

may joy in joyous abundance coat that oh so special day!

Oh Canada indeed..

more hugs!

(I'll let all these fabulous foodies write the food stuff ~ ~ ~ )

MORE HUGS!
Sarape

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rainey wrote:
: 4 out of 5 Baptist divorcees really resent gays undermining the sanctity of marriage.

The sad part is that it isn't a joke down here in Dixie. People (my colleagues who I've asked directly) really think allowing gay marriage will hurt traditional marriage.

But, it isn't as bad as my colleagues (many of them, all Baptists) who firmly believe in creationism (literal according to the 7-day Bible version).
Lilia Dignan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David,

Congratulations to you and Dick (the Romantic one!). So glad to hear that you will let your friends do the cooking. Enjoy your special day and let your friends take charge of all the logistics. Your job is to smile, enjoy and don't forget the champagne. I shall drink a glass of the bubbly on July 31st in your honor.

Have a happy life together!

-Lilia
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: