Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

your favorite Italian cookbook?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Resources
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Denise

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:11 pm    Post subject: your favorite Italian cookbook? Reply with quote

I'd like to get a good general Italian cookbook, a Joy of Cooking italiano as it were...any recommendations?
JM

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a *huge* fan of Marcella Hazan's Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking. It schools you in the "sense" of Italian cooking, what flavours traditionally go together, and what substitutions you can make while maintaining fidelity to Italian traditions.

I also have the River Cafe Cookbook, Mario Batali's Babbo cookbook, and a few others, but none of them have the 10 page explanatory glossary of ingredients/techniques that Hazan's book does. When I cook from her book, I truly get the sense that I am making something that I would eat in Italy...

My only complaint about the book would be that she doesn't identify the region that each recipe comes from.
birgit

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd recommend Ursula Ferrigno: "Everyday Vegetarian" and "Bringing Italy Home", two of my favorite cookbooks, especially because I like italian veggie recipes very much Smile
Denise

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, do you think this book is the best of Marcella Hazan's? I would especially like some good vegetable recipes, there are so many good ones in Italian cuisine
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mario Batali's Babbo, Malto Italiano or any of his other amazing books. Mario studied throughout Italy, really getting to know each region personally. He is also one of the most highly respected chef's among his peers.

Here's a link to some of his things at Overstock.com. Check out Amazon though, sometimes their prices are better.
http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2.cgi?PAGE=ENDECA&searchtype=hpheader&N=0&keywords=Mario+Batali

"It's hot ham water."
bluedog

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Mario Batali's Molto Italiano and Simple Italian. Both are outstanding and easy to follow. I may be biased since he is from the NW, but he has traveled extensively and his father runs a salumeria here in Seattle that is very authentic.
Donna

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I concur with the vote for Marcella hazan 1 My copy is literally falling apart! Laughing I learn so much about Italian cuisine in general every time I use it.

I will check out the Mario link. Having eaten at Babbo & Otto - 2 of his restos in NYC - I agree that his food is brilliant - although not necessarily TRADITIONAL! He is very creative! Smile

Now - I think we need an emoticon with the smiley face licking his lips!
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll add a vote for Marcella Hazan's Classic Italian Cooking - it's a wonderful source of information and yes, it does have some excellent vegetable recipes.

www.cupcakerecipebook.com.au
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bluedog, Do you know the name of his dad's place? I have been wanting to know for a long time.

"It's hot ham water."
dadegroot

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:33 am    Post subject: Re: your favorite Italian cookbook? Reply with quote

Denise wrote:
I'd like to get a good general Italian cookbook, a Joy of Cooking italiano as it were...any recommendations?

Well I have one Italian cookbook, and that's the recently translated "The Silver Spoon".

http://www.angusrobertson.com.au/products/detailed.asp?bookid=0714844675&db=au

I can't compare with the Joy of Cooking, as I don't have said book.

--
Dave
Leo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcella Hazan is a fantastic author. I have had the Silver Spoon for a long time and it is a great reference. Probably my favourite/most useful.
jenjen

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:38 am    Post subject: italian cookbooks Reply with quote

Leo,
can you recommend a good comprehensive Italian cookbook? I was thinking of that great Italian, Antonio someone who does the cooking shows on the BBC and ABC, but you may have some better ideas for the Italian food lovers
Looking forward to hearing your advice!
Leo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi jenjen,

Antonio Carlucci.. occasionally appears with Jamie Oliver, I think. He has a few books out. All are nicely presented and full of photos. I am tempted but haven't found one that strikes me enough to buy.. yet.

The Silver Spoon, translated, (according to a review I read) apparently involves some substitutions for ingredients that are unavailable outside of Italy and recipes from some celebrity chefs. I am not sure exactly because I have the Italian version. Granted, some ingredients are things that I make at home or are difficult to find but a substitution of something local and fresh doesn't compromise taste.

Also a complaint of Silver Spoon by many is the lacking bread section. In Italy, good bread is easy to find and although many bake at home, there is no 'real' recipe. For breads, 'Cresci' by Iginio Massari and Achille Zoia is pretty good.

I'll go with Marcella Hazan's Essentials for comprehesive. It has pretty much what all would expect from an Italian cookbook. It has a "Fundamentals" section of Italian ingredients (not always necessary nowadays) but recipe-wise is strong in standard fare across Italy's regions.

Interesting is Maria Pia de Razza Klein's new venture (incidentally some of her recipes also pop up in the new Silver Spoon..) a cookbook, Mangiare Italiano: Real Italian Food that looks to be worth a nod. From Lecce, Puglia, she is very creative and cooks typical of this region with local influence. In her restaurant and book she stays as close as one can get to the Italian philosophy of cooking (about the only thing that doesn't vary across the tiny peninsula), which is to say that she uses what Italian style ingredients she can get or grow with ease but if she can't, she incorporates the best fresh local produce and ingredients available instead. The Italian way.

Speaking of Italian, had a peek at Guy Grossi's book?? It hasn't appeared in the local bookstore yet and I'm intersted to see what is inside. I've only ever been to Grossi Florentino for dessert years ago. And I was sorry I was already full. Even after the divine chocolate concoction I surrendered to, the plates that were being whisked by our table were still looking pretty good. Ah someday.

Any other Italian-Australian cooks/chefs/authors to look out for in Melbourne?
bluedog

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erin, I always forget you are a Seattlite transplanted. The Batali restaurant is called Salumi, and it is only open for lunch M-F. Next time you are in town it is a must. It is tucked away on the sw edge of pioneer square and is tiny and non-descript. but once you walk in, the food, people and service are spectacular. restaurants all over town are serving their meats on the menu. they had a friday nite chef table, but it is booked for 2 years, so they stopped taking resrvations!

Sorry for the delayed reply, I have not been checking in as frequently. Work interferes with my cooking, I am afraid! I have vowed to change this as we face spring and the farmers markets kick in!

http://archives.seattletimes.nwsource.com/cgi-bin/texis.cgi/web/vortex/display?slug=pacific-ptaste09&date=20050109&query=salumi
nima

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I am a fan of Giuliano Bugialli's _The Fine Art of Italian Cooking_. I see it has an updated version. I have the original, and I think it's really fantastic. He's kind of curmudgeonly and dogmatic in his opinions, but that's part of the appeal Very Happy .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Resources All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: