Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Have you heard of cooking lamb with coca cola?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DrMell

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:54 pm    Post subject: Have you heard of cooking lamb with coca cola? Reply with quote

A friend has been raving about this dish her South African friend does, but I can't seem to get a straight answer on how to cook it. Apparently it involves a leg of lamb, a liter or so of cola, and slow cooking in a pan on the grill. It sounds so good, but I'm afraid to try it without some direction. Does anyone know how to do this? Thanks!
Dawna

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... I've had ham cooked in cola, but not lamb. I'm not sure I'd care for the sweetness, with lamb.
Rainey

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cook lamb only rarely. I've done a salty Smithfield ham in Coca-Cola. My husband really liked it a lot. I thought it was fine but not special.
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought an e-book of recipes using coca cola on Ebay. Cost me a whole 99c.

Unfortunately there isn't a recipe for lamb, but most of the meat dishes use coca cola as a marinade or instead of stock when slow cooking.

Can't help with the finer details, though. Let us know how it went if you try it!

www.cupcakerecipebook.com.au
Debbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judy had it in one. I have used coke as a marinade. It is a great meat tenderiser and will act like kiwi fruit or pawpaw (papaya) does when you marinate meat in it. The only other way is to use it as an ingredient in slow cooking.

If you were to marinate the lamb and then roast (basting with the coke) I would imagine that it would help the outside to caramelise and darken nicely. Lamb legs are about the only meat that you can overcook and it tastes better.

If you can get an answer from your friend or if anyone here knows how to do the recipe I would be very interested as well. Always good to add different recipes to the repertoire. What herbs or spices do they use? That would radically change the taste of the coke and affect the end result of the dish.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: