Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

help needed - castagnaccio cake recipe

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jenjen

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:01 pm    Post subject: help needed - castagnaccio cake recipe Reply with quote

Quelle Horror - I came home yesterday with my prized packages of chestnut flour, after a two month wait for it to be shipped from Italy... only to find that I have lost the little booklet of Italian Recipes which came with Australian Gourmet Traveller a couple of months ago. The recipe I am looking for was a Rolling Eyes great recipe for a castagnaccio cake which I had intended to make today.

Can anyone help me with the recipe?
Barbara

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I searched my mags but I don't have that one.
jenjen

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:05 am    Post subject: recipe Reply with quote

Thanks Barbara, I was able to get the recipe from a neighbour - if anyone is interested, let me know and I will post the recipe on tomorrow after I have cooked it! Very Happy
Barbara

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PLease do, I'd love to see the results.
Debbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooooh yes please!

That sounds like an interesting cake. I am imagining that it would be a little heavier than normal and probably very flavourful. Please share!
jenjen

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chestnut flour, raisin and rosemary cake taken from Gourmet Traveller.

This is a very light version of a chestnut cake. It is great if served warm.

Serves 8 to 0

155 gm chestnut flour
155 gm self raising flour
185 gm cold butter, chopped
300 gm brown sugar
1and 1/4 tsp bicarb
1 and 1/4 cup milk
1/4 tea spoon sea salt
1 egg
1 egg yoke
70 gms raisins, soaked in hot water for 30 minutes and drained
2 tablespoons rosemary leaves
40 gm (1/4 cup) pinenuts
2 tablespoons olive oil.

Line base and long sides of 20x30 lamington tin with baking paper. Process flours, 1/4 tsp sea salt and butter in a food processor until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add brown sugar and process until combined. Press half the flour mixture over base of prepared pan.

Whisk bicarb of soda, milk, egg and egg yolk in a bowl until well combined. Add remaining flour mixture and raisins to egg mixture, mix well and pour over base. Scatter with rosemary and pinenuts and drizzle with olive oil. Bake at 180C for 40 minutes, or until a cake tester withdraws clean, covering with baking paper after 30 minutes to prevent over browning. Cool in tin. Cake with keep in an airtight container for up to 2 days.

Chestnut flour can be purchased from Italian delicatessens and health food stores. It should be stored in the refrigerator or freezer as it goes rancid very quickly.

Enjoy!!!!!
jenjen

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made the cake today, flavour is very good - texture is also good but it really needed another 5/10 minutes in the oven, even though the skewer came out clean... a bit to crumbly for my liking.

I will definitely make again.... the aroma of the rosemary and pine nuts drifting through the kitchen was really wonderful. A great winter's cake for those of us 'down under'. Very Happy
melinda

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i haven't seen chestnut flour around here......and i am such a chestnut fan....sounds great
melinda

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i haven't seen chestnut flour around here......and i am such a chestnut fan....sounds great
jenjen

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Melinda, try your Italian deli /produce store - mostl Italian families use it in their cooking.....so someone will have it!
I had to try 4 stores before I found it here - but like I said, keep it in the fridge as it goes off really easilly.
It is wonderful to cook with ..... hope you can find it near you.
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:14 pm    Post subject: Italian recipes.. Reply with quote

jenjen ~ sounds a scrumptious cake..even though you've come across the recipe I thought I'd do a bit of browsing.

italianmade.com looks a fun site ~ there I found the recipe along with many many others.

ah, Australian Gourmet! reminds me of Vogue Entertaining ~ what an odd delight it is for me to go back over those old old issues from 20+ years back ~ memory lane indeed.
markemorse

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:44 pm    Post subject: castagnaccio. Reply with quote

hiya,

better late than never....

i had the good fortune to live in tuscany for a short while a few years ago, and my wife's siennese italian teacher (maria silvia, where are you now?) gave her a tuscan cookbook before we left. the recipe for castagnaccio within is for a less sweet version, which sounds like the version we were eating in the autumn there...i'd like to taste a sweeter version, though. whenever i pick up this cookbook i'm always amazed at the simplicity of the recipes, and the tiny number of ingredients.

my italian's a bit rusty these days, so I could completely miss a subtlety here or there, but as far as i can make out:

200g chestnut flour
a large glass of cold water
6 tbsp olive oil
rosemary
a handful of raisins
a handful of pine nuts

basically, plump the raisins in hot water. mix the flour with 3tbsp of olive oil. add the water little by little until you have a nice batter. grease a rectangular baking pan with extra olive oil.

at this point you do something a bit mysterious with the rosemary leaves and the olive oil, maybe saute the rosemary in 3tbsp of the olive oil?

put the batter in the pan, scatter the top with pine nuts, raisins, and the rosemary leaves. bake at 220C for 30-40 minutes.

good luck, let me know if you try it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: