Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

More Occasional Silliness
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rainey

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it!?! I wasn't "translating" the German, you realize, but the Bablefish. Sometimes it's just as challenging! Wink
Lakritz

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I thought you might have used a machine to get a general idea. But you see, you then put it all into the perfect phraseology of the sales pitch -which is usually the part of the translation the students fail to do!
(They're 18, and you're just that little bit older and wiser... Very Happy

I agree, machine translation is often absolute gobbledegook (hm, spelling?? Shocked )
Rainey

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once saw a piece where someone took a familiar piece and ran it through an engine like Babelfish over and over from one language to English. Even though it remained the same two languages, each distortion the engine created caused another and the end result was hilarious. Wish I had held onto it....

------

This is the same message run through BabelFish from English to German twice:

I, as soon as a piece had, in which someone took a familiar piece and by a machine such as Babelfish over and over from a language to English, left it to the run. Although it remained the same two languages, each distortion of the manufactured machine caused other one and the end result was urkomisch. Desire I had held it....

"urkomisch" indeed! Wink
Chicago Bear

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David is going to get a set of four for his wedding! It's hard to imagine a more tasteful (well, this thread is all about bad puns) gift.
David

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I"m mentally placing them in the kitchen even as I type. (or is that I'm mental to place them................) Very Happy Very Happy
Lakritz

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

urkomisch and very mental!
Sarape

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's a pretty avatar you have found Lakritz. Not as wholesome as Rainey's feet avatar, but nice in a different light.
Lakritz

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Sarape!
There's probably a copyright on it Crying or Very sad ... but when I suggested to my son that I'd get some licoice allsorts and take a photograph of them, he said that would be even harder to get down to 80x80 pixels... I pointed out to him that Rainey's done this with her feet - at least I assume those are her own feet ? - Are they Rainey?
Rainey

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, they are. Alas!!! The only part of me worth seeing. Shocked
Debbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a crack up! Yes, I can see these in peoples kitchens.... the pattern would probably not show any spills either.....

My husband uses babelfish to "decode" for work purposes.... sometimes with very confusing and hilarious results. Things can get a bit weird using it if you don't proof read very very carefully.
simona

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an ex-professional translator, I say: Babelfish is HERESY!!! Imagine your favourite writer/poet BABELFISHED!
I remember one of our teachers in Paris (ESIT - Ecole superieure Interpretes at traducteurs), an English Gentleman who predicted this abomination in 1973,. He added that fortunately for him he will be dead by then ( he was an elderly gentleman) and had another very percutant observation: " ladies and gentlemen students, be aware of the two different languages: english and american". Can't forget him.

No more war, no more language barrier, more dialogues !
Rainey

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno if this will work for you but I can always use a laugh and this one made me howl until I nearly coughed out a lung! http://www.thesneeze.com/mt-archives/cat_simply_jif_saga.php

If you have a strong stomach, a fondness for the scatological and a good sense of humor you might want to poke around the rest of his site.
MileHigh

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rainey, thanks for the link to "thesneeze" - what a hilarious blog. Did you read his note to the NBC - Hair Division? Too funny! LOL for sure!!
Debbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Sneeze is a laugh. I log on every week and check what he has been up to. Some of the things are so silly that you can't help laughing out loud. That lung that you laughed out Rainey could be sent in and used in a new "Steve don't eat it!" trial.....

Has anyone been to mycathatesyou.com It can be a bit so so sometimes, but on other days you will find pics and comments that have you howling (or should that be yowling) with laughter. I go back through the archives and look at the old stuff. Find it more entertaining than some of the new stuff.
David

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rainey, you got me hooked on thesneeze too. I have Steve's inventive site bookmarked. Did you read his riff on making prison wines at home? Fabulous!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: