Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Insanity
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rainey

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:55 pm    Post subject: Insanity Reply with quote

I am very disturbed by the anarchy that is being visited on Denmark as a result of the cartoons depicting Mohammed. In support I am wearing a Danish flag until it's over.

I wish I could display one in my signature too. Does anyone know how I could do that?
MelC

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

add this line into your signature and you'll get one like I've done....

[img]http://www.appliedlanguage.com/flags_of_the_world/medium_flag_of_denmark.gif[/img]
Lexi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just think the fanatacism is soo uncalled for- people need to realize that expressing anger through violence is simply stupid and not efficient at all- a priest died because of this insanity and people are being hurt around the world
yes the cartoons are offesnive and against religious laws of islam, but there is also the matter of freedom of speech to be taken into account- the question is , where is th eline between satire and socially irresponsible?
Rainey

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Mel, but it didn't seem to work. I'm off to try it again.

There it is! I just had too long a sig and some stuff had to go. Thanks for your help. Wink
simona

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, well, this thread promises to be quite interesting....
I can't wait to read it...

No more war???
Chicago Bear

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't draw too strong a connection between the cartoons and the demonstrations. It's as if the cartoons were the excuse for getting out into the street and being violent. This is more of an impression than an informed opinion, but it appears that the gulf between Islam and the west is growing and gathering strength. There's a very long history that has fed into this situation, but recent military adventures have certainly nurtured these hatreds. The cartoons aren't a cause; they're evidence of the disrespect that the west is perceived as having for Islam. I'm not optimistic about where this is leading, either.
Rainey

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that may well be true and, though I didn't think it through so thoroughly, I think that's what I meant when I used the word "anarchy". I very much agree that a line seems to be forming and it's extremely worrisome. One might call it between Muslims and non-Muslims, the Mid-East and the West, imperialism and the exploited. I'm worried that these most recent hysterias give it a complexion of anarchy vs. civilization.

I think there's much about global political business as it's been conducted that needs righting. ...however painful a process that will be. But civilization and the free flow of ideas — even painful and sensitive ideas — has to be our highest priority and ultimate goal.

It's astounding that a small, progressive country — given the maelstrom that Bush has unleashed — should be in the point position at this time. I think they need and deserve support for their courageous stand for freedom of speech.
FoodSciGeek

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems the fall-out beyond just the riots is already underway. At least one multinational food corporation is covering their butt, rather than supporting Denmark and/or freedom of speech.

http://www.foodnavigator.com/news/ng.asp?n=65651&m=1FNE207&c=lzbbdpjatoesqfr
simona

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some contest!

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2006/02/07/1139074214543.html

Simona
christen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is such a tough subject, with a complicated history behind it. Putting the original publication aside, I was honestly disturbed by the decisions to reprint them. The Western and Islamic worlds are really struggling with an ideological coexistence here, and there is a lack of understanding, and perhaps respect on both sides. In the west, we went through the Enlightenment period, where ideological changes allowed for a seperation between civic thought and religion. We can have our own religious beliefs and allow them to be critised and be the subject of satire. In the Islamic world, those two exist in connection to one another, one cannot be seperated from the other. Depictions of the Prophet and Allah are banned, and as far as I understand, are considered blasphemy, an offence that carries very serious and very real consequences.

To me, this is a product of a global community, that while we have learned to trade goods, we have not learned to trade ideas. I really hope we can all learn to coexist, ideals and all, without a lot of violence.
Lexi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think this is definitely a case of some culture clash- there is a sort of misinterpretation amongst non Semites, perhaps, regarding the sanctity and traditions of Islam- I think people often find their traditions and laws arbirtrary adn so they cannot relate ( It's as if one were saying, you must step into your pants every day with your right foot only..or some other aritrary notion..) I completely respect the sanctity of these laws, but what I am saying is that to some it cannot be understood on quite the same level because they are not of that religion and thus the mindset is "What is so offensive anyway?!" the bottom line is that these were offensive to the religion, and it fuelled the ongoing fire in the Middle East
MJBodell

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:21 am    Post subject: free speech Reply with quote

I find the violent demonstrations offensive and seemly over reactive.
I believe we should have freedom of speech

Then I hear that the Iranian press is holding a contest for the best holocaust anti-Semitic cartoon. This disgusts me. Do I still believe in free speech?

Where is the line between free speech and inappropriate hate?
jenjen

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe we need to be mindful and that we need to give the whole middle east issue significant consideration. By being mindful we can clarify our thoughts and present logical argument/s for discussion.

I wonder whether a food and wine blog is the place for this sort of discussion or whrther we need a Food or Thought blog specifically focusing on world trends and events. Question
jenjen

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry, I posted a typo, that should have read Food For Thought blog
Rainey

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jenjen- Rest assured we asked clotilde the very same question some time ago because no one wanted to disrespect the forums she set up. She was comfortable with civil conversation on a wide range of topics including politics in this area.

Thanks for being concerned about appropriate use of the forums.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: