Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Good Deal on Vodka Tasting
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rainey

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 12:53 am    Post subject: Good Deal on Vodka Tasting Reply with quote

As I've said before, I'm not so big on alcohol. So, when I wanted vodka for a pasta sauce, I knew I didn't want a conventional sized bottle, but I wanted high quality. So I went to a local liquor store and asked what they had in the mini bottles (you know, those 1 or 2 shot airline size thingies). The dealer told me I should try a Polish vodka called Pravda.

He had a mini bottle for $6.99. Swell! That's not bad for sauce. Then he asked me if I wanted some glasses to drink it? No thanks! I don't need to buy glasses to put some vodka in pasta sauce! Turns out I completely misunderstood him. There's some promotional deal right now and the distiller has packaged the same mini bottle in a rather elegant black box with 2 of the tiniest, cutest martini glasses you've ever seen for the same $6.99 price!

The concept is you're supposed to fill one with Pravda and the other with whatever vodka you're accustomed to and make a direct comparison. But these glasses are so cute that they'd be lovely for serving a bit of sorbet or a tiny mound of mousse or, as I recently saw on a food blog, a root beer-flavored gel topped with a vanilla pana cotta.

Perhaps someone would want to look for it. It's called the Pravda "Tasting Kit". I, personally, am going to go out next weekend to buy two more boxes so I can use them for a company dessert. This serendipitous find completely animated all my weekend errands! Color me a happy girl! Wink
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy Girl ~ since I'm a sick thing at the moment, my vodka search mission will have to wait. However it WILL be fun!

I'm a Bailey's girl..and each Christmas I pick up one of those promotional packs...glasses with script...love 'em....crumbs ANYTHING with script. There's a house, an old fisherman's hut, in England, and a John Donne poem was placed on an outside wall...individual letters..how fun is that!

Thanks for sharing...you seem to be tickled pink with the find...so is that the colour we colour you? Wink ...oops color (USA spelling)

as for pana cotta ~ faint food...I love it
Rainey

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little Bailey's is a very nice thing sometimes. And I have a few of those promotional things too: a couple of teacups -- one male, one female -- winking back at me. Sooo cute! I guess there was once a whole tea service. But I missed the other pieces...

That's me, tho: ever so much more interested in the interesting bottles and promotional chatchkes.

...and I'll settle for any colour you've got but something bright and cheerful would fit the mood of the day. Wink
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how about infinite shades of pink?
Rainey

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. Pink isn't normally my color but I'll pretend I'm the sorta Anti-Barbie will all my protuberances pointed in the same direction and a little closer to my middle... Get out them paintbrushes and rollers! Wink
madameshawshank

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well dear 5 stars for you for stepping out of your shoes! not everyone is as brave as you.

Don't forget I've infinite shades of pink for you to choose from ~ not all are Barbie-pink!

I'm a ready to paint the town pink!..
simona

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a wonderful Yiddish word you chose, Rainey: "chatchkes". It brings back unexpected longing for my paternal grandmother. Chatchkes or "tzatzkes" are also a name for those little old women who talk continuously about non important things, or women who are dressed like , well, ...Tzatzkes, and also in the sense you used it- small and not very important little things we all like to collect. That's not the first time that I find Yiddish words in the posts of ( mainly) our american friends. That's nice and understandable in such a multi-cultural society like America.

No more war, more adorable little chatchkes!
Rainey

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help with the spelling! I could see that what I wrote was incorrect but, oddly enough Wink, my SpellCheck didn't have a helpful suggestion...

Yes, Yiddish words have become part of our vocabulary. And why not? They're wonderful, expressive, onomatopoetic words and feel so good on the tongue!

I didn't know it had those other meanings. I will enjoy keeping those images in my imagination when I say "tzakzkes" in the future. Thanks!
David

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yiddish has added much to North American English--colourful, succinct and found all over. An acquaintance of mine--Karen Tulchinski's first novel "Love Ruins Everything" and it's sequel "Love and Other Ruins" both have Yiddish glossaries in the back----and I've never had to refer to them!!!

As to vodka tastings, the first ship I ever sailed on was the Russian ship Turkmania sailing from Perth to Singapore. They held a vodka tasting and I was astounded at the variety!
Lakritz

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... wonderful on the tongue indeed, those Yiddish words, my favourite is 'meschugge' (German spelling), so frequently heard in the area I come from, and I occasionally hear it in American films.

... variety of vodka! Not being a vodka drinker as such, I had no idea there is supposed to be a variety, but at the Hilton in Prague, they devote a complete double page of their drinks menu to different vodkas! Finland supplying more than Russia, by the way...
Dawna

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rainey, is it Penne alla Vodka that you are making? I made it for the first time a few months ago, and really enjoyed it! It's remarkable how rich it tasted, even though there wasn't that much cream in it. I used a Smirnoff for my pasta (for convenience at the time), but my favourite vodka for drinking is Luksusowa.
Rainey

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dawna wrote:
Rainey, is it Penne alla Vodka that you are making?

Yes it is! But I'm waiting for some yellow tomatoes to ripen to make it with. Yesterday I went out to get the one I was patiently letting ripen on the vine only to find it half eaten by ???? I'm beginning to think I've got field mice eating the ones on the lower branches from the bottom and the birds pecking at the highest ones on their tops. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

WHEN I get my yellow tomatoes I'm going to make the vodka sauce but I'm serving it on green spinach tagliatelle. Can't wait!
Sarape

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rainey wrote:
...the vine only to find it half eaten by ????

I found corn stalks and the remnants of corn cobs in my yard on Saturday. At first I thought someone was in my yard. Sunday morning I caught a brown squirrel munching away on an ear of corn.

I have a single tomato about lemmon size ready to pick. That's my first.
Rainey

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sarape wrote:
I have a single tomato about lemmon size ready to pick. That's my first.

YUM!!! The flavor of the first ripe tomato is a joy only another gardener can fully appreciate. You enjoy it now! Wink
David

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sarape---do you have raccoons? They used to devastate our corn (and chickens) when I was a kid.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: