Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Good Deal on Vodka Tasting
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sarape

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
Sarape---do you have raccoons? They used to devastate our corn (and chickens) when I was a kid.

Not yet. Raccoons are about the worst, next to bears at camp grounds.

I'm going to savor my first all-organic, home-grown tomato. Probably a dish, a knife, some pepper, and the tomato.
simona

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meschugge - yes, nice word, politically correct to describe a fool ( nuts).
An Yiddish word, but of Hebrew origin as many many yiddish words. Actually Yiddish is a mixture of old german and hebrew words. Yiddish is written with Hebrew letters ( from left to right of course) and therefore there is no one definite spelling when translated in Latin letters.
A propos Yiddish, today I was watching a semi-cultural program on one of our channels, and they were interviewing two students of Yiddish Studies from Tel Aviv University : a japanese woman and an Ethiopian( jewish) man. That was kind of surrealistic !!
A propos Vodka , it's my preferate drink ( after Gin and Tonic), I prefer the polish and russian ones to the finnish, and I love to drink them accompanied with herring and black olives. I probably inherited this from my Russian born mother. I never drink sweet liquers, but Vodka, anytime. Nazdarovie!! ( Cheers, Salut )
I remember a recipe of pasta with a caviar( black) and Vodka cream
sauce, probably a recipe popular at the Tzar's court. So I used lump caviar and it was not bad. Then I tried another another recipe of smoked salmon-vodka-cream sauce, and it was not bad too but my husband flatly declared that macaroni and cheese is OK for him. Rainey, could you give us your recipe, maybe I'll try once again and my Haim won't object.

No more war, more vodka, funny yiddish words , and more vodka
Rainey

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not really so much a recipe but I'm sure you could find one if you do a Google search. I use vine-riped tomato. I skin mine and cut them in coarse chunks. I put them in a sieve to let the juices drain away (this I simply drink 'cause I can't get enough of the flavor of tomato but I don't want a watery sauce. Now it's important to boil some pasta and have it ready so the sauce doesn't wait for it. While that's happening, I chop some sweet onion and sliver a clove of garlic. I also do a chiffonade of fresh basil. Then I heat some olive oil in a saute pan and sweat the onions & garlic for a minute or two until just barely, barely beginning to go translucent. I throw in the tomato and basil (reserving just a bit of basil for plating) just until they're warm. I pour on some vodka and a bit of heavy cream that I have warmed in the microwave (I don't use much, myself) and finish with salt & pepper to taste. Pour it over the pasta or put the pasta in the saute pan and toss with the sauce to coat.

You want delicious ripe tomatoes for this and you want to warm not cook them so that their flavor is what dominates and they haven't gone all liquid with the heat. The rest is gilding the lily. [/i]
Lakritz

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found 10 recipes straight away on google. Must try this, not sure how it will go down with the family though...

Rainey wrote:
The rest is gilding the lily. [/i]

Being unashamedly didactic, may I, for anybody who might be interested, point out that this idiom has arisen through years of sloppy scholarship? Shakespeare's words were, 'To gild refined gold, to paint the lily' - see below:

Therefore, to be possess'd with double pomp.
To guard a title that was rich before,
To gild refined gold, to paint the lily,
To throw a perfume on the violet,
To smooth the ice, or add another hue
Unto the rainbow, or with taper-light
To seek the beauteous eye of heaven to garnish,
Is wasteful and ridiculous excess.

King John, IV.ii.9-16

Just one of the 1001 slivers of trivia with which I furnish my life.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: