Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sarape

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 4:12 pm    Post subject: Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy Reply with quote

I have to share with everyone my personal discovery of this wonderful min-series made in 1979 by BBC television. It is directed by John Irvin and based on John le'Carre's book by the same name.

It takes place during the Cold War and involves Russian and British intelligence service spys and moles and double agents. Stars Alec Guiness as George Smiley, a member of the British intelligence service.

I hadn't heard of it until two weeks ago when I saw the DVD (3 discs, 6 hours). I've finished watching the first 5 hours and have been going back to earlier episodes to capture the details and hints missed on the first pass.

In style it is the antithesis of Ian Flemming and James Bond. Hardly any action. Most of it takes place in hotel rooms, restaurants, offices and cars.

I suspect if you haven't seen it, you'll really enjoy. Alec Guiness is truly wonderful to watch on screen.

I love old Hollywood movies and film noir and things by Hitchcock and Welles. Well, this is completely different. No glamor, just reality.
David

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sir Alex was the quintessential George Smiley! I remember the series and read all the Le Carre books that he features in, I believe starting with The Spy Who Came In From the Cold. Brilliant stuff--completely ruined me for any more writers of the spy genre. Sarapes right, no gimmicks, just intelligence.
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone seen 'Sin City'?

www.cupcakerecipebook.com.au
Sarape

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally finished all six hours of Tinker Tailor last night. It's taken me almost two weeks to plod my path through this three-DVD set. Simply wonderful viewing for anyone interested in national security, good acting, good directing, or Alec Guiness.

Though this series was about the Cold War, you can easily see parallels to today's war on terrorists. Fascinating watching the nuances and going through the psychology played by those associated with these intelligence services. They had to set traps to lure potential double agents. They often didn't know who to trust. They gave false "tips" to learn things otherwise obscure. Et cetera.

Really urge everyone to make an effort to track down this DVD and see it. You'll be rewarded.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: