Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

How to beat the heat wave
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simona and Pesto Man--count me in with the martinis too---and none of your fancy designer gins either--give me good old fashion Beefeaters or London Dry or Gordon's! And dammit, a chocolate martini may be a lovely drink but it isn't a martini!! Exclamation Exclamation
Pesto Man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amen to that David!!! It seems that any sweet concoction, served in a Martini glass is now called Martini Crying or Very sad THis seemes to be aimed @ those who want the "fashionable glassware " but do not appreciate the alchmey that occurs when, Gin (sometimes vodka) vermouth, and olive (or lemon twist, or caper berry) are combined in a cold frosty glass

Agree about the gin as well, (gordons is my day-today tipple) although I do enjoy Plymouth, (sir Winston's Favorite) on a special ocassion or when I'm feeling wealthy!

as we speak 2 glasses are in the freezer, My wife gets in @ quarter to 6 and by 6, ice, gin and vermouth will collide!!!
Rainey

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never been able to enjoy a martini.

When I was about 14 I was babysitting for a young couple who had had friends over prior to my arrival. Some time after the kids were in bed I went looking in the fridge for a snack. There was a tall pitcher of what looked like ice water to me. I poured myself a glassful. I took a long gulp only to have everything between my gullet and intestines errupt in flames.

That was my first, last and ONLY martini. Shocked Shocked Shocked You guys can split my share. Wink
simona

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gordon Gin only for me. And more than Martinis ( CHocolate MArtini?!!!- Heresy), I love Gin and Tonic. Favourite drink when flying, it makes me forget the ridiculous situation of hunging in the air with no safenet. I am terrified by flights, and each time I border a plane ( quite often) I'm sure it's the last. But I'm not a very optimistic person in general.
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one day I was sooooooooo hot I got two oblongy buckets filled them with cold water and ice..a foot in each...and just sat and de-melted.

also I've found cold water on the inside wrist helps...

and thinking of snow Wink
David

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first summer in Melbourne saw me wilting from the unaccustomed heat. My friends knew that every Sunday afternoon I could be found in our apartment in a tub filled with cold water with a gin and tonic, my cigarettes (don't worry I quit 12 years ago) and a book by my side. Now it really doesn't bother me that much, jaded with age I suppose.
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WHAT an image Dear David, what an image! .....now I wonder if ya can remember any of the book titles Wink

I'll be a thinkin' of ya especially on the 31st...wadda day eh!

hugs
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watching movies set in snow helps, too. Fargo, A Simple Plan, Snow Falling on Cedars all made me feel cold when I watched them.

I remember a summer in Adelaide a few years ago when the temperatures were in the high 30's/low 40's every day. That was HOT, but what was worse was that at nighttime it didn't get below 30. One night when I was going to work it was still 38 at 10PM.

www.cupcakerecipebook.com.au
madameshawshank

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'n the outdoor shots of "The Ice Storm"...read a piece from a guy who said he can bear to watch it once a year...he wrote "It's too traumatic and beautiful to watch more than that."

How well I remember how I felt watching it for the first time...gut-wrenching...stupendous acting...
Amber

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Brisbane where a 'heat wave' generally means temperatures in the high 30s and low 40s (C). I grew up in PNG almost on the equator where it was constantly hot and humid - I think you acclimatise. I'm used to warm temperatures but I definitely find the heat waves hard to tolerate.
We have airconditioning in this house, but on hot hot HOT days it only makes things bearable, not cool. We survive by eating icecream, sorbet, frozen fruit (anything cold!) and sprawling out on the floor watching movies. It's important to keep really well hydrated. Washcloths soaked in cool water help you sleep. Smile

At the moment it is our Winter. Good luck surviving the heat - I'm sure I'll be moaning about it in three months' time.
Vesna

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am lucky enough to live in the Smokies, so a hike up into the higher elevations always brings relief from the heat. Playing in the cold mountain streams helps as well! At home, I make a huge batch of peach iced tea or when I can find it, Sassafras tea. The old timers used to drink Sassafras root tea to cool the body's temperature. It works very well and tastes wonderful!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: