Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Bookworms, political animals and anyone else hungry for...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lakritz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 4:33 am    Post subject: Bookworms, political animals and anyone else hungry for... Reply with quote

inspired experiences!

It seems that there are a few of us who would like to start a food-related book group on this site - we'll probably form a 'usergroup' for it. (Sort of looking into it at the moment.)

The first rough idea is: we agree on a book, read it within a given space (let's say 6 weeks), then discuss the book and come up with recipes the various themes inspired.

Well, that's the first draft - who knows where that might lead us...? We could have polls, we could have competitions... it's all an experiment, really.

At this point, I think I can count on Rainey, Barbara, Simona as definite, and Judy as possible?

The first suggestion for the book has been: The girl with the pearl earring;
and for the next one/alternative: The da Vinci Code

Both very promising titles, I think.

Of course, there's always the film/soundtrack to inspire culinary creations, too! (Thanks Judy, for that!)

So, if anyone else is interested, could they please voice their opinion here? -- As we seem to be all women so far, MEN would be particularly welcome! (For diversity and representativeness - gosh, is there even such a word?? -- and all that!) Very Happy
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read 'em both, Lakritz, but would be more than happy to join the discussion.

I'm currently reading Jodi Picoult's Salem Falls. I love her books! Very topical, always a courtroom drama, but sadly no mention of food. Or not much anyway. This book is partly set in a diner, and after reading about a customer always ordering ham and cheese omelette for breakfast I cooked one, but that's about the limit of any culinary connection. She's a fantastic writer, though.

www.cupcakerecipebook.com.au
Debbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds interesting.

By the way... love your avatar Lakritz. Very colourful and eyecatching.
Sarape

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will nominate some or the complete Sherlock Holmes.

I know, we likely read a bunch of this in school. But, anyone remember the details? Here's why I think this is a good choice for a cooking and food group.

The stories focus on details, nuances, overlooked things which make or break a case. These issues are shared in cooking. Seeing into the working mind of Holmes is more appreciated as an adult then when we may have read them as a youth. Holmes was an amateur chemist and Watson a medical doctor: cooking- and eating-related things.

Since this is a collection of short stories, it may lend better to a world-wide discussion. Finally, they are very good stories and very entertaining. You don't get bored. There's something for everyone. I'm starting this now, so if we don't pick this, I'm not going to be disappointed.

I know I'm not going to read the Davinci Code since I've heard the book is very overrated. And The Girl with the Pearl Earring doesn't sound attractive to me either.
swan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sarape, you don't sound the type to me that's gonna say "I 'm not going to do this or do that"?
That's the disadvantage of the internet, no intonation!
Anyway, you're free to join in whatever book it will be or to skip one or two?Or open yourself up to the experience of reading something new, even if you're not going to like it?

I welcome the chance to read something out of my usual pattern, and I like re-reading stuff, so for now: count me in and I'm willing to re-read either the Da Vinci-code or my beloved pearl-girl.

I'll be thinking of suggestions to read later.

The Chocolate-and-Zucchini-Bookclub is born...YEY!!!!!!!!!

(Oprah, beware!)
Sarape

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, when it comes to investing time in reading a book, "...not going to do this..." is an acceptable response. All the books out there still waiting for me to read, have to pick carefully.

If anyone has read either DaVinci or the Earring book, make a good case for it and I'll consider. DaVinci's got a lot of followers.

Had more thougths on Sherlock Holmes and probably think it is a bad choice for a book club since we'd be forgetting the short stories unless we read at exactly the same pace. And that's not going to happen.

I'd read Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, but that's 'cause I just watched the TV series and will likely read it on my own.
JustMe

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, count me in! I've been a little negligent posting lately...when I checked all the posts since my last log-in it more than filled a page.

I have read the DaVinci Code, but not The Girl with the Pearl Earring. I will have to get that one.

Are you going to have more guidelines?
Rainey

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustMe wrote:
Are you going to have more guidelines?

My question too. I guess we could just do whatever dish comes to mind and share what that is. Or we could divide the meal into courses and each take one aiming at a full menu (or several full menus depending on how many of us there are).

I'm open to whatever but I may need some skilled online tutorial help if I need to post pics of what I do. For some reason, I'm able to get pics on my (MOST neglected) blog but not here...
Karen Weena

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds interesting, though I feel kind of like Sarape, since I have tons of unread books waiting in line.

Just finished Caleb Carr's The Alienist and The Angel of Darkness. They're noir, but the meals at Delmonico's in New York during the late 1900s were short of lavish.

Maybe joining will give me a reason to finally read Girl With A Pearl Earring and Da Vinci Code, about which I have read so much, both pro and con. If only for the planned cooking fest and reading what you will all come up with. Wink
Lakritz

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay,

1) book choices - I totally understand the 'have to be selective' argument. (Whenever my book group here in Brum has chosen yet another book the quality of which left a lot to be desired, I vow not to read the next one, unless the Guardian gives it a good review)
If we wait until everyone has made a suggestion, and then vote on a whole list, that could be a lengthy process. Likewise, if we wait until one book emerges as the favourite. So, how about: if one person suggests three different titles and we vote (per poll, I suppose?); next time, it's someone else's turn to present 3 books. I could draw up a list of members, and we work down that list. Just a suggestion - let me know what you think.

2) rules and regulations Wink
I knew this question would come up at some point... and really, I don't know!!
As far as the actual book discussion is concerned, I could provide a document on which aspects one could discuss (of course it varies from book to book); or a list of aspects people can vote on; or the person whose choice it was kicks off the discussion with a brief review and then the others respond, or a combination of the above, or whatever else we feel would be a good idea for an online bookgroup. (Anybody got any experience?)
I'm quite happy to feel responsible but I don't want to be too prescriptive as I'm sure there are many good ideas out there, and I wouldn't want to miss out on them. I think the whole thing should be quite organic and develop as we go along.
Concerning the book inspired recipes: again, it might be good not to be too prescriptive here, at least to start with. I don't know, some people might just want to suggest a dish/recipe and/or tell us why/how this came about, others might want to go in for a whole menu, including drinks; other people will want to cook and photograph their dish. -- The bookgroup which inspired this idea of mine had the courses and the drinks allocated to specific people and of course, got together for their next meeting to consume those (they might even have cooked together). Unfortunately, we can't do that!! Crying or Very sad
Again, I don't want to be authoritarian here - give us some ideas, and then we vote, or if that proves too difficult, I'm quite willing to take an executive decision - provided we all know that anything is up for discussion and can be changed at any point.
3) Has anyone got any information on the 'usergroups'?
Barbara

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So, how about: if one person suggests three different titles and we vote (per poll, I suppose?); next time, it's someone else's turn to present 3 books.

Works for me.

As for discussion - Some guidlines from you would be great - you obviously have the experience from your bookclub.

Recipes - Up to individual members to decide on how much effort they want to put in. If you have time to plan and prepare an entire meal, go ahead. If not, just prepare one dish inspired by the book and tell us why.
carsondyle

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read all the time so I'd be interested. Most of what I read is classic literature; next up in the queue are Persuasion, Women in Love, and the third Thursday Next book, The Well of Lost Plots.
trilobyte

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a book suggestion, which can certainly be considered after Da Vinci Code and Girl with a Pearl Earring. 'The Language of Baklava : A Memoir' by Diana Abu-Jaber. This is a great book and very relevant to those with food interests. I actually read it a few months ago for another book club. Ms. Abu-Jaber describes growing up with an American mother and Jordanian father living in both the US and Jordan. Food plays an important role in her life (hence the title) and each chapter contains at least one recipe!! I've made the title dish and it's quite tasty, and easy. Anyway, it's just a suggestion.
Bekbeka

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lakritz
as well as having a great avatar, you have also come up with a great idea. I'm happy to join in on whatever the consensus comes to, but saying that, I have already read the Da Vinci code. It is very accessible but agree with Sarape that it's overblown. But, being a great fence-sitter, I would also go along if that was the group decision. I did really like the sound of Trilobyte's suggestion 'The Language of Baklava : A Memoir' by Diana Abu-Jaber, and know nothing of 'Girl with the Pearl earring'.

Anyway, those are my thoughts.
clotilde
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear all,
I think a book club is a marvellous idea!
What I can do is create a "C&Z Book Club" forum, probably below the "Other Things" forum, which will be devoted to the organization of the book club and the actual discussion after you've all read the book. If that's okay with you, I'd like to keep it an open forum and not one that's reserved to a few users, because I think it would be great for new readers to join in the fun and sign up for the club, or simply follow the discussions.
And then inside this specific forum, one of you (I'm thinking of Lakritz as the originator of the idea, but it could be someone different everytime, on a rotation) can act as a moderator/organizer, deciding whether people need to sign up to participate, organizing the vote about which book to read (you could even use a poll, I can show you how), setting the date, leading and moderating the book club discussion, etc.
Basically, there is no "book club" feature on these forums, but there are a few tools that you can use whichever way you want, depending on how you want this book club to work.
Please let me know what you think, I'm happy to help in any way I can!
Clotilde.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: