Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Chicago bound
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tomatoes

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 10:37 pm    Post subject: Chicago bound Reply with quote

My husband and I will be visiting Chicago soon and would like a *foodie* view of what not to miss.

Esoteric experiences preferred.
Vesna

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 4:34 pm    Post subject: Chicago Reply with quote

Deep dish pizza at Giordanos is not to be missed. It is like a lasagna, only with crust:) Deep dish pizza is to Chicago what thin crust is to New York. Also, visit the Jewish district near Lincoln Park and get fabulous bagels. Have a great time!
Vesna

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Chicago Reply with quote

Vesna wrote:
Deep dish pizza at Giordanos is not to be missed. It is like a lasagna, only with crust:) Deep dish pizza is to Chicago what thin crust is to New York. Also, visit the Jewish district near Lincoln Park and get fabulous bagels. Have a great time!
CasaHaggis

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you fancy Mexican food, you should try the Frontera Grill of Rick Bayless fame. We've eaten there twice in the last few months while visiting Chicago. (Next time we'll make the effort to reserve a table at Topolobampo.) I really enjoyed the three ceviche starter last time: three different preparations, all with distinct flavors.

There's a bar where you can enjoy a wonderful margarita or the homemade lemonade (margarita base) while waiting for a table. Even in the heat of the summer, the sidewalk tables were pleasant.

See: http://www.fronterakitchens.com/restaurants/

Enjoy!
carsondyle

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been many years since I went there, but the fish at Catch 35 was always tremendous.

The Loop also has a number of very good inexpensive Thai joints.
lohmannj

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:15 am    Post subject: Unique Chicago Experiences Reply with quote

I went to college in Chicago and remember several places that are experiences not found outside of the city. If you are looking for a "Chicago experience," try some Polish food. One of the best is the Red Apple at Belmont and Milwaukee. It's a buffet and it's fabulous. When we go back, this is always a restaurant we head to. There's really no other city to get this experience. Not terribly easy to get to by public transit, but is well worth it.

Along the idea of Slavic experiences is Healthy Food, by Comisky Park (US Cellular Field). This is a Lithuanian Restaurant and again, not something you can easily get elsewhere.

Oh, and find a Vienna Beef and get a dog with everything on it. There is one on Grand, just East of the Red Line stop on State. It should be a poppy seed bun, an all-beef dog, a hot pepper, tomatoes, relish, celery salt, and onions. Don't forget to get everything on it.

I have a bunch more suggestions, just post if you want some more. None of it is fancy, but all of it is good and not available elsewhere. I love Chicago and there are some experiences there that just can not be missed (Millenium Park!).

Hope this helps.
tomatoes

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh please, more suggestions!

I know we are planning on Greek town, Fontera, a red hot, and Italian beef.
Cathy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 3:54 am    Post subject: For a Wonderful Patisserie Reply with quote

I have lots of small suggestions (being from Chicago) but they would depend on what you like...If you want a truly French patisserie experience, go to Bittersweet (1114 West Belmont Avenue), a truly deluxe spot that makes its own lemonade (raspberry lemonade, peach lemonade, berry lemonade depending on the day), has wonderful little sandwiches and soups, and makes amazing desserts. Did I mention their fresh quiche and their raspberry or pistachio macaroons? This is a great place for a lunch, or for coffee and dessert, or for all three.
bart229

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would make two suggestions to start-

A very unusual, popular and yummy place to get a good sausage or red hot is Hot Doug's on California. http://www.hotdougs.com/ This place has got great food, including (on Friday and Saturday only) duck fat fries. Really good.

If you want to know where many of us Chicagoans go to get a hot dog, burger or italian beef fast, Portillo's is a local chain with awesome food. They've got killer italian beef (get it with sweet AND hot peppers) and the best "fast" burgers I've had anywhere.

Heaven on Seven has the best cajun food outside of New Orleans. Don't miss the jalepeno corn blasters- appetizer of deep fried corn bread served with a delicious dipping sauce.

Another place I'd consider is Paprikash, a very good Hungarian restaurant where comfort food is the only thing on the menu and the paprika is so thick you think you're breathing it in.

If I can come up with more I'll post. Needless to say, Chicago is an incredible food town. You won't be disappointed.
rrose

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:02 am    Post subject: Chocolate Chicago Reply with quote

Considering the source of this forum, we all should seek out the best of chocolate when travelling. For Chicago I strongly recommend Canady Le Chocolatier, at 824 South Wabash Ave., 312.212.1270. Michael Canady has studied widely in Europe and has a broad selection, including his justly-famous dark chocolate-covered candied orange slices. Yummmmmm!

For gifts, ask for his special handmade paper-covered boxes from Thailand.
Pockymonkey

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't live in Chicago anymore, but here are some of my favorites from when I did (old and new):

Two bakeries that I would recommend: the Angel Food Bakery on Montrose (near the Ravenswood el stop). The owners have re-created old childhood classics like moon pies, twinkies, ding dongs - but using fresh, natural ingredients. It answers the question: what would a twinkie taste like if it were made without chemicals and artificial flavors?

I also like Lutz's bakery (also on Montrose). It's a great Swiss bakery with a little cafe in the back. We would always stop there for their rich hot chocolate and cream cakes on cold winter days.

If you have access to a car, I highly recommend going to the Indian neighborhood on Devon Avenue. Public transport is possible, but it will take you a very, very long time. Lots of great restaurants there - I particularly love Udupi Palace (especially if you are vegetarian or if you like spicy food. It's South Indian-style food, so not what you get in a "typical" Indian curry house). It also has some great sari shops and groceries - a very energetic, atmospheric, bustling place, especially on weekends when it seems like the entire South Asian population of the area descends on it for their weekly shops - I know my parents would go to stock up regularly on staples.

Of course, there are the top-notch Chicago restaurants like Everest and Charlie Trotters. Don't know how hard it is to get in on short notice, or if you want a really blue-chip dining experience, but those would be the two (in my opinion) to try.

Another poster suggested Hot Dougs. I haven't tried it myself, but my sister has had good things to say about it - it certainly sounds very interesting if it can make the humble hot dog interesting.

Enjoy your visit - Chicago is a great town.
Mishka

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give Chinatown a try... we stopped over there for dinner on our brief visit to Chicago. There's lots of Chinese bakeries with wonderful fresh buns and pastries. You should definitely try the ham and egg buns. If you walk to the far right end of Chinatown towards the square, there's a popular Chinese restaurant that sells a variety of bubble tea... basically, these are milk tea with/out tapioca jellies in myriad of interestin flavours.. food is also delicious!!
Sarape

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bart229 wrote:
Another place I'd consider is Paprikash, a very good Hungarian restaurant where comfort food is the only thing on the menu and the paprika is so thick you think you're breathing it in.

There's a 30 minute, weekly, Chicago PBS television show which reviews three restaurants a week. They visited Paprikash one week while I was in Chicago in September 2004. This place did look very good.

I know the triangular intersection of Rush and State streets downtown has many interesting-looking restaurants.
trilobyte

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will also vouch for Heaven on Sevn and Catch 35. They are both great. I also have two more suggestions. Ann Sather is a Swedish restaurant and bakery. I think they have several locations, the one I frequented is on Belmont St (near Red Line Station). The cinnamon rolls are fantastic!! My other suggestion is the Tiffin Kitchen, which is an Indian restaurant on Devon St. This was my first experience with Indian food and it is still my favorite. An added bonus is that it is in the heart of the Inidan & Pakastani neighborhood, which has great grocery stores and sweet shops! Enjoy Chicago
lohmannj

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:16 pm    Post subject: Chicago Bound Reply with quote

I miss bubble tea. There's a place called Joy Yee's in "New Chinatown" (it looks like a Chinese interpretation of a strip mall rather than "Old Chinatown, which is more traditional" that has fabulous bubble tea, which you can order just from the window. In the summer, I love the watermelon with fresh fruit, but you can be adventerous and have avacado and green or red bean. There food is okay--there are better places to eat, but I don't think there are any better bubble teas.

For chocolate, there is a new chocolate place (http://www.vosgeschocolate.com/) with really interesting, good combinations. I've never been to their shop, but you can get their bars in Durham and they are fabulous.

And I second Portillo's and Ann Sather's. And the Frontera Grill (get there early) and Giordano's. As for Greektown, the most famous is the Parthenon on Halstead. They claim they invented the flaming saganaki in 1968. Who knows.

Oh and sausage. If you in Chicago during the week and want lunch downtown, go to the Berghoff--not the big restaurant, but the small bar next door. Often there are traders from the nearby exchanges there. Besides good sausage (and the oldest liquor license in Chicago), the wacky blazers that the traders wear to advertise their companies are not to be missed. I saw a red mesh blazer with black sleeves. Other than having to wear a blazer, I believe there are no rules on what the blazer must look like.

The more I think of, the more I'll add. I love Chicago and, more importantly, I love eating in Chicago. Next time I go, I'm trying Hot Doug's!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: