Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Chicago bound
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SeanE43

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:27 pm    Post subject: Mexican Food in Chicago Reply with quote

For really great Mexican foor in Chicago, try FERNANDO'S. Located at 3415 N. Lincoln Ave. On public transportation, you can get there on the #11 Lincoln Bus from the Fullerton Red Line station, or on the Brown Line, exit at the Paulina Station. Street parking also available. Nice safe neighborhood.

Authentic Mexican food prepared by a family w/40 years in the restaurant business, food industry. Great margaritas, great food, family friendly and did I mention -- very inexpensive!

For the best French food experience, try KIKI'S 900 N. Franklin. GREAT!, authentic food.
I could eat a hundred

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:03 pm    Post subject: I registered just so I could tell you... Reply with quote

There is a middle eastern bakery in a neighborhood called Andersonville. It's on the far north side of Chicago at Foster and Ashland. They make the most unbelieveable Spinch and Feta pies -- triangles of wonder, baked fresh on the premises. Coffee shops all over the city sell these pies for up to $4 a piece -- but you can get them straight from the family-run bakery for $1.25 each. Buy a couple, browse the store for other goodies (dried fruits and yogurt-covered almonds make great airplane snacks for the trip home, and the store sells cooking implements like tagines and fancy teapots), then wander around the neighborhood munching your prize pies.

Andersonville is a great example of a Chicago neighborhood -- one of the things that makes this city stand out from New York or LA. While Andersonville was originally a Swedish neighborhood, it is now home to a concentrated Swedish, Middle Eastern and Lesbian population -- and all three groups coexist very happily.

Accessible by the Red line train if you're not renting a car.

I also second the recommendation of Bubble Tea at Joy Yee's, and feel I must put in a plug for my own yummy neighborhood, Lincoln Square, a predominantly German enclave where you can get pastries or brunch at the excellent Cafe Selmarie, pick up German chocolates and sausages at Meyer's Delicatessen, or dance the polka and drink beers by the liter at the Chicago Brauhaus.

metromix.com (run by the Chicago Tribune) can be very helpful at suggesting nearby attractions, train stops, or events.

Enjoy your trip!
JustMe

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Russian Tea Room by the art gallery: not really a tea room. A little pricey but worth it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Cooking & Eating All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: