Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Foreign films

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lakritz

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 1:21 pm    Post subject: Foreign films Reply with quote

Especially to Judy and madame:

I didn't want to take up more space on Sarape's excellent 'where do you live' topic, but I just wanted to say:

The Sea Within - what a fantastic film, didn't you think every single actor in it deserved an Oscar?

And Downfall - not foreign to me, of course - my goodness! Though I have to say, while Bruno Ganz' performance as such was frighteningly good, his accent was absolutely atrocious...

Anybody else seen any remarkable 'foreign' films recently?
Barbara

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comme Une Image (Look at Me) and I just know Judy and Madame will be laughing at this title!

A pleasant little movie about family relationships.
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great move, Lakritz, thank you. As an Antipodean with a tenuous grasp on my mother tongue, let alone anything foreign, I was most interested to read about Bruno Ganz's accent. It was a great movie nontheless.

The Sea Inside was excellent. I work with terminal patients all the time and that movie taught me new things, always a bonus.

Gee, I have just realised that everyone in the Northern Hemisphere probably regards films made in Australia as 'foreign films'.....

In that case you all Must See

Oyster Farmer (half my relatives are in it), Wolf Creek (made in South Australia), Lantana (written by a bloke who lives down the road), Mad Max 2 and every other Oz flick ever made!

www.cupcakerecipebook.com.au
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barbara Darlin' ..shouldn't that be "Look at Moi"? Wink

"Little Fish" I'll be seeing this week...the dear Cate....saw Noni Hazelhurst interviewed ~ she said most scripts she's been sent over the years weren't worth getting out of bed for...however THIS...wow..

'n our old pal Hugo Weaving...my oh my..

collective glasses raised to the wondrous process of film making...me fears that the digital revolution will make film actors obselete in the future...theatres are where we will go to see humans acting...real people!
Lakritz

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judy: Nah, 'foreign' is only when you can't understand what they're saying Wink , and so far, Oz & NZ accents are fine (though we do stumble over American English at times...). -- Having said that, it's quite possible that a lot of antipodean films don't make it into the main stream cinemas here, so insider tips are gratefully received, as they will find their way into the art cinemas -- eventually.

madame: I wonder whether that will really happen (digitalised acting) - on a big scale, I mean..., somehow I have a feeling that it could be a passing phase, or restricted to certain genres. Somehow I feel there will always be people who will reject it as 'fake', in the same way that some of us reject pre-pack foods. But maybe I'm just an idealist? In any case, wouldn't be such a bad thing if we had to go to the theatre more often...

My son (16) seems to watch an awful lot of Japanese/Korean films on DVD, it seems to be the 'in' thing in his peer group (who all take films very seriously), but so far I can't report back as they all seem to be pretty gory, and I'm not really up to that!
Rainey

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lakritz wrote:

My son (16) seems to watch an awful lot of Japanese/Korean films on DVD, it seems to be the 'in' thing in his peer group (who all take films very seriously), but so far I can't report back as they all seem to be pretty gory, and I'm not really up to that!

Japanese anime (hope I spelled that right) is all the rage with young people (18-30ish I'd say) here. Haven't heard that they've moved on or expanded to include live action films too.

It fascinates (and discourages me a bit) to see how the "cartoon age" seems to have expanded. When we had Steve's 35yo nephew living with us for 10 months all that seemed to interest him in his downtime was Japanese anime and videogames. He was, at the time, a videogame programmer who was without his family on the East Coast and who worked 16-18 hours a day on a computer. And two of mine (18 & 22) enjoy the anime too.

Since then, Jude's (nephew's) wife was able to sell their house and move out here with the 2 girls. And he left the videogame company. ...I haven't asked how he spends his private time since then. Wink None of my business! ...it just was under my nose for that interval.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: