Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Portuguese Custard Tarts
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Recipe Box
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madame, I'm soooo impressed that you're even thinking of making your own pastry! Like you, I had never thought of eating them hot - great excuse to whip up another batch post-haste to try 'em hot.

When we were in the US I bought myself a little gift, and one for my Mum too - a nutmeg/cinnamon grater. We had both wanted one for years and I found a little Cuisipro one with a razer-sharp grating edge - great/grate (!) for nutmeg and cinnamon sticks.

Thanks for the info about these little lovelies, Filipe - I look forward to the authentic recipe.

www.cupcakerecipebook.com.au

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh Judy my dear one...big big difference between 'thinking' and 'doing' Wink ...although I'm a great believer in the energy of thought...so maybe I just have to think harder..and hey presto! pastry!!! methinks in many many centuries time that will be how it all works...we will have harnessed our thoughtenergy..

when the dear Filipe posts the recipe...to the kitchen will go I....bake ...and while those custard puddles are still warm...happily I will munch..and share!

Filipe..do you know of the history of the custard tarts? a google search gave me this...pasteis de Belem!!!

http://theseoultimes.com/ST/?url=/ST/db/read.php?idx=895
Filipe

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear "Guest"

The website link I've put on my last post is exactly the "Pasteis de Belém" website. It's only in portuguese, unfortunately...

About the recipe... so far I've picked up 6 different recipes LOL
It seems that, like we say about codfish, there are 1001 different ways to cook these tarts!
Anyway I want to check a cookbook at my mother's place, and then compare them all, pick the one which seems more lilely to give a fair result, then try it, and only then share it with you. But baking is not my speciality... you can check my last experiences at my blog if you want to : http://xxxocolate.blogspot.com. I'm a chocolate guy! eheh

But as I've said...before Xmas you'll have a tested recipe posted here.
Filipe

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other thing...

There's a doubt I have, that some of you might solve...

What do you mean by custard? The only custard i know is custard powder, and any of the recipes of the so called "custard tarts" includes any custard powder.

The portuguese name for these tarts is "pasteis de nata", which translated goes on something like "cream tarts". And even in english it makes some sense : either milk or cream is used to make them.

Can any of you tell me why they're called custard tarts?
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's no 'guest' - that's our dear Madame! I'd know her writing and phrasing anywhere!

Felipe, my recipe uses egg yolks, caster sugar, cornflour, cream and water plus a couple of other things in the custard and it makes a lovely, lemony custard. I'd be interested to see one of your recipes to compare the ingredients.

I MUST make some tomorrow.

www.cupcakerecipebook.com.au
Filipe

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let’s assume that one can use the frozen puff pastry sheets that can be found in our supermarkets. Let’s assume it by now, because a huge part of this recipe’s success has to do with it. Anyway let’s get focused on the “custard” stuffing.

I’ll share some recipes with you, which I’ve translated. Let me say first that I HAVEN’T TRIED THEM, so I won’t accept any charges eheh. You’ll have to do the measure conversions…

Number 1

0,5 liters milk
70 grams flour
5 grams cornflour
0,5 liters 32 degrees baumé syrup
5 egg yolks
1 egg
Vanilla essence

To make the syrup : use 1 kg of white sugar with 0,5 liters of water and boil it until ti reach 32 degrees baumé

Undo the flour and cornflour with a part of the milk, aprox. 1 dl, and then lead the remaining milk into boil, throw it over the flour and stir fast. Add the syrup gradually, always stirring. Add the yolks and them the egg. Bake at aprox. 350º C around 8 minutes, not more.

Number 2

0,5 liters milk
35 grams flour
275 grams white sugar
5 egg yolks
1 egg
1 tablespoon butter
1 pinch of salt

Put the milk to the fire with the tablespoon of butter. While it’s on fire mix the flour with the sugar and salt and when the milk raise boil adds the mixture stirring fast. Take it of the fire and let it cool a little. Then add the egg and the yolks, aromatize with vanilla or lemon. Bake at 290ºC-300ºC around 8 minutes.

Number 3

100 ml water
300g white sugar
2 tablespoons flour
0,5 liters milk
8 egg yolks
2 egg whites
Put the water to the fire with the sugar and boil it until it reach 25-28 degrees baumé. Dilute the flour in a little of cold milk. Join the remainder of the milk, the yolks and the whites already beaten. Mix this with the syrup of sugar. Light to the fire in bain-marie, stirring always. Stuff the forms, put them in a tray and light them to the heated oven at 250ºC.

Number 4

250 grams white sugar
0,5 liters milk
6 egg yolks
70 grams inside of bread

Mix all the ingredients with your handblender and then stuff the forms. Bake at 250 ºC

Number 5

275 grams white sugar
0,5 liters milk
10 egg yolks
Vanilla essence

Mix all the ingredients and then take it to heat in bain-marie until it gets thicker. Let it cool a little and then stuff the forms. Bake it at 250ºC.
Filipe

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope you don't start by trying the Number 4.... ehehe
Filipe

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems that anyone did any baking for the weekend...
Well..I did... you can check the results on my blog at :
http://xxxocolate.blogspot.com/2005/11/pastis-de-nata.html

Tell me what you think of them!
JustMe

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's where I buy mine http://www.caldensebakery.ca/pastries.htm. So far they have the best ones I've tasted. Their pastry is just perfect.

Filipe, as for the term "Custard": the filling is very similiar to what the English call a custard: an egg & milk mixture.

I don't know if I'm brave enough to try making my own: I doubt I could make them as good as the bakery ones. Oh well, one day.....

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 5:16 am    Post subject: No way Reply with quote

How can you say that? No way!

Online poker companion Netherlands Florists
birgit

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've recently tried out this recipe , but with frozen puff pastry. Compared to those I've bought at some portugese cafes in hamburg, germany, the filling is veeery sweet. But I've never been to portugal, so I don't know the original version.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Recipe Box All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: