Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Tell us about where you live
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sony_b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Donna said.

Alameda is an island in the San Francisco Bay, right next to Oakland.

Except for the (now decommissioned) military base, nobody has ever heard of us, which is great because nobody comes here since we're not on the way to anything. It's a strangely quiet mid-western feeling town, with beautiful old craftsman and victorian homes, a stretch of beach with fantastic views of San Francisco.

We do have the insane home prices, and traffic once we leave, but we're also close to all the cool stuff Oakland, Berkeley, and San Francisco have to offer.
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had no idea it was an island. There is a Coast Guard school in Alameda, my husband has gone to. There is a possibility in the future he could teach there, who knows.

"It's hot ham water."
GladtoGoRose

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Clearwater, Florida and I love it here. Have been here for 29 years....

The best thing is the beauty of the area, beaches, palm trees, sea gulls sitting on bridge pilings, the water shimmering in the sunshine and of course the warm weather in the winter. Today, Mid January and the temperature was 75, ummmmm.

Less than wonderful is the traffic and congestion. Also, it is growing so crowded that it seems that soon there will be no green space left. Condos and apartments are going up as though by magic.

Wouldn't want to live anywhere else, although I love to travel and learn about other cultures......

sony_b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Erin,

Actually the coast guard school is on Coast Guard Island, which is another, even smaller island wedged between Alameda and Oakland. I teach at a junior high school half a block from the entrance to the school, and I hear reveille most mornings when I'm heading in to work. Which, instead of a trumpet is a guy saying "reveille, reveille" over the PA. Smile

I can't seem to make a pretty link work, but here's a picture. San Francisco is on the left, and the Oakland airport is the runways that you can see in the bottom, middle of the picture. The big airport thing at the northwest end of the island is the old air station.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=coast+guard+island+alameda+california&btnG=Search&t=k&ll=37.765287,-122.240067&spn=0.064595,0.161018&t=k
Erin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my! I hope the island has easy access to SF.

"It's hot ham water."
JM

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:11 pm    Post subject: Montreal Reply with quote

Well, I have to chime in because I think I live in one of the most underrated cities in the world (though maybe it remains charming and delicious for that reason). Having living in Grenoble, Sydney, Melbourne, London, Pittsburgh and Toronto, I have to give the overall quality of life award to Montreal.

Pros:
Four seasons
Affordable housing (though getting pricier)
Beautiful architecture
Decriminalized marijuana (I don't smoke it, but I see no reason to incarcerate people who do...waste of tax $$)
OUTSTANDING RESTAURANTS - consistently well prepared local foods, plenty of global cuisine, affordable
Neighbourhoods that change at every metro stop
Wonderful city markets that support local agriculture: Jean-Talon market (I live 5 min away) Atwater market etc etc.
I could go on...

Cons:
Provincial politics (some Quebecois want to separate from Canada)
Potholes
State run liquor/wine stores - notoriously corrupt, poor overpriced selection.

Sadly, the Conservatives just won a minority government here, and while I don't think it is going to change my daily life, this is definitely a step in the wrong direction for Canada.
sony_b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's very accessible to SF - I also work there sometimes (grad student, with three part time jobs Smile ) and between BART, the bus system, and the ferry, I can be in downtown in 20-30 minutes. If there's not a lot of traffic, which does happen almost every day, I can drive in 15 minutes.
Melly

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:09 pm    Post subject: Mind if I jump in? Reply with quote

What an interesting thread. I've been mostly lurking around, so let me introduce myself. I'm Melly. Currently living in the very southern part of Limburg Province in the Netherlands. (Born and raised in Jacksonville, Florida. Went to college in North Carolina. Have lived in Portland, Maine, Waikele (Oahu), Hawaii and most recently, Norfolk, Virginia.) Cheese and chocolate lovers paradise! It is asparagus land in the spring. We are only 10 minutes from the German border. I went shopping over there today. We don't get the full immersion experience since I still do a lot of shopping at the commissary. I'm able to get the American stuff that we are used to (for instance, grits) without the high taxes. Then I shop for the fun stuff out in town. And of course the subsidized gasoline is nice. It still costs more than in the states but a lot less than out in town. I haven't found many cons yet, except maybe the weather. The cost of living is a bit on the high side but not outrageous. The Dutch folks that we have met have been quite nice and friendly. And they almost all speak English. I took an introductory Dutch class last week. The pronunciation is quite difficult for me. I've been trying to relearn the French that I forgot after school. We're travelling to Paris for Spring Break and I am really excited!
Lou

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's nearly two years that I live in Paris now and the more I'm here the more I love it. I changed neighbourhoods recently and now find myself sandwiched between the clothes wholesalers of the second and well, the sex wholesalers or perhaps these ladies are true retailers of rue st. denis......not so sure.
certainly changes from the gentle dog walking ambience of the fifteenth...

Paris rocks for diversity in food, people and music....not as expensive as people think to live here and there is so much vacation time.......

I used to live in Rome and I think it will forever remain my favourite city. I still catch my breath every time I go back and I still get butterflies when I land at the airport or anticipate a rowdy roman dinnering in Via Governo Vecchio or testaccio....
Chicago Bear

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last week we decided to test some Italian restaurants that we had never tried to see who had the best pizza. This is a project that will take several weeks, and it's great fun. What it taught me was that I live in Chicago, but know nothing about vast parts of it. I love to travel and discover new places, but sometimes I forget how much there is to uncover right here in the windy city. Where we live depends on what we make of it, and sometimes, it gets to be a fairly narrow channel.
dadegroot

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: Tell us about where you live Reply with quote

Sarape wrote:
Since we are such a diverse group living in such interesting places, I thought it would be a good idea to have a topic where we could describe the good and bad aspects of our current places of residence. I'll start.

Cedar Creek, Queensland, Australia

Good things: low cost of living, peace & quiet, close enough to Brisbane (capitol of Queensland) to work there, fabulous scenery, local wildlife, space (we have about 6 acres/2.02 ha). Living in a home we designed and had built for us. Did I mention the idealic scenery and quiet ?

Bad things: not really bad, but the closest shops are a good 10 mins drive away (at 80kph), not walking distance anyway. No public transport.
sunfleurs

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:15 am    Post subject: France Reply with quote

we live in Roullet in the Charente in France. I read about this site in Olive magazine that I bought on a trip to England.
We are real foodies and think this site is great.
Nina
artichoke

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quakertown, New Jersey is in the central-western part of the state, 7 miles from the Delaware River and 55 miles to Manhattan. It is a tiny hamlet of about 60 people, one of the original settlements in NJ, and my house, like most of my neighbors, is 300 years old. Most people think NJ is all oil refineries and traffic jams, and I guess depending on where you live, traffic jams are normal and things can be pretty nasty. Out here, we are still rural, with rolling hills of farms, and lots of animals, wild and domestic. We are on septic and well, which means that all that horrible development stuff can't happen here unless someone decides to connect us to a sewer. In the township where I live, we are becoming more diverse, with immigrants from Mexico, China and India moving in. This is such a wonderful relief for me, as when I first moved here I detested the "vanillaness" of this area, with bland food and sometimes bigoted ways. Now I buy Asian produce from a farmer directly across the street, and in the summer, all of my fruit and vegetables that I don't grow myself come from farms within a mile of here. I get fresh eggs year round (including duck and goose eggs) and we even have a farmer devoted exclusively to fig trees.

The negative stuff: Once you leave our township's rural buffer, going seven miles north or south, you enter the traffic zone, neighborhoods of obnoxious McMansions, strip malls, and other chilling sameness. Most of this is brand new, and all indications are that it is only going to get worse. It's certainly not as bad as the eastern and northern parts of the state, but it looks like enemies want to make it that way.

I grew up in Ithaca, New York (a fabulous town) and have lived in Brooklyn, Philadelphia, Ottawa, Oakland CA, and Freiburg, Germany, great places all.
Erin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Artichoke,

Welcome to C&Z! I grew up out west and had never been to NJ until two years ago when we moved to the Hamptons. I had always had preconcieved notions about NJ, and was pleasantly suprised. We were there in June, everything was so green and lush, I finally understood the "Garden State" thing.
Glad you have decided to join our little group!

"It's hot ham water."
Old Bay

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navasota, Texas
Pros--Just one hour from Houston, two from the beach and fresh seafood, two from Austin. Homegrown tomatoes, no traffic, good friends, low cost of living, great golf course, low crime, rolling hills, Central Market and Specs nearby, best Tex/Mex in a small town.
Cons--HOT-HOT-HOT- four seasons-December, January, February, and Summer. Too close to Texas A & M. We spent a week in NYC in January because I used to work there and to get a little cold weather!! We take weekend trips to Austin and Houston for dining and culture.
All in all--good place to live. By the way I was in Anniston in March on the RTJ golf trail--very pretty.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: