Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Yoga DVDs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
clotilde
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:16 pm    Post subject: Yoga DVDs Reply with quote

Dear all,
I don't have much yoga experience (I've simply taken a couple of single classes on different occasions) but I'd love to buy a DVD and do it at home on my own. Ideally, it would combine relaxation (I could use a little Smile) and a moderate workout. Can anyone recommend a DVD that they like and that would be suitable for a beginner who's in *relatively* good shape (I exercise regularly, just not yoga)?
Thank you so much!
Clotilde.
Debbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I have a really nice yoga dvd. If you want to borrow it for a trial, let me know and I can give to Alisa, or you could pick it up (I am a few blocks from you in 18th). This is of course if your dvd player is dezoned - which is very easy to do.

You really should try doing yoga with a dvd before spending the money to buy one. It is a bit different to attending a class.

Let me know via PM if you want to borrow the dvd.
suzy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been practicing what is called "power yoga" (only in the US!) for about four years. It's great exercise and a good antidote to stress, too. I would suggest going to some classes before you start with a dvd, so that you are sure your form is ok. (It's pretty easy to injure yourself if you don't quite do things in the proper form.) When you find a "style" of yoga you like, then you might ask the teacher for a recommendation for a dvd.
Now that you've quit your "day job" you should have time for a few yoga classes!
MelC

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Debbie & Suzi - it's important to start with a class. You want to find a yoga teacher who has spent several years learning yoga and has been practicing her/himself for longer still. Avoid a class which is taught by a fitness instructor who took a weekend course in "yoga" instruction - not at all the same experience!

If you're looking for a workout, Ashtangi (power) or Bikram (hot) yoga is the way to go. If you are looking for more de-stressing and relaxation, you need to find a class that is more of a Hatha yoga (this focuses on the asanas ~ breathing patterns as well as specific movements) or Kundalini yoga (combination of breathing & movements to re-focus your energy either for relaxation or for energizing yourself.) Note: any teacher who doesn't recognize ALL of these terms is not a yoga instructor!

There are dozens of other types of yoga out there, and any decent instructor should be able to tell you which style they are teaching, and which of the "basic" yoga types it most resembles. Combining the correct breathing with each movement is critical, and a good instructor will make sure that is happening.

I've been practicing Hatha & Kundalini yoga on and off for about 6 years now and I really notice it when I don't practice regularly - I don't deal with stress as well and I carry a lot of tension in my back which leads to all kinds of aches and pains. Embarassed When I was pregnant with my son, I practiced (with some modifications) right until the day I delivered - and my midwife declared me to be the "most comfortable pregnant woman" she had ever seen (and my son was over 2 weeks late and over 10 pounds! Shocked )

Namaste! (nam-ass-tay)(a sanskrit greeting common in yoga practices... directly translated means "I bow to the light within you" but is commonly used as greeting, sign off, whatever) Very Happy
cookies4andi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="suzy"]I've been practicing what is called "power yoga" (only in the US!) for about four years.

I totaly agree with Debbi and Suzy too...You need to start with a class..there are different kinds of Yogas...its IMPORTANT to "find a good teacher!!!! Wink"
"power yoga"is not for a beginner..its good..... but CLOTILDE, now that you quit your day job Smile Smile .......((fabulous) NYC PUblishing....here we come!!!!!!!....writers need excersise too.....lol....not just walking into the kitchen... Very Happy
I never told ya. Embarassed but I'm 62 and in great shape,if I say so myself. Embarassed I am lucky.Married 42 yrs.this DEC.(My husband tells me all the time)what great shape I'm in...now you know why he's so great Very Happy Very Happy .
I took Yoga in my 20s..plus my love of tennis..then went on to Martial arts.((Hapkido)),along with Pilates..and in Asia learn Tae Chi...just telling you this because if you enjoy something like our passion for FOODS..and creating them....find an excersise that you will lLOVE....and look for several along the way.Me I lived long enough to try so many new adventures......I am soo grateful.....not trying to show off Embarassed Just loving people and LIFE.....
Yoga I do ALL the time.
it allows ME to fall back on it and silence MY mind anywhere.......
At any age,its wonderful....ONCE you practice the basics....It becomes you mantra...like cooking....
Here in Vegas,its on the cable channel...
So...Learn the basics and just relax...buy a magazine at whole foods,lol if you have one in Paris,or find a health food store...
Its a mind ,body and spirit love thing....like food Very Happy Very Happy .....it feeds you and lets you quiet the mind...a silence for the outer world for a moment....
Congrats kiddo,again you earned it.......keep me posted.....
YEHHHHHH you are a writer. I knew that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Very Happy
smiles'
Andi* in Vegas
monkey

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i do hope you brought a region 1 player home from the states with you, because my suggestion is to take a look at any of the
www.gaiam.com they have a broad range of dvd's in various yoga styles and levels. gurmukh's kundalini dvd is very nice if you are interested in something to give you a cardiovascular work along with your mind/body tuning and relaxation at the end. any of rodney yee's yoga dvd's are sound as well.

nothing brings primates together like a good snack!
www.TheresAMonkeyInTheKitchenAndHesGotAKnife.com
clotilde
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for your helpful replies. I did bring back my DVD player from the US so zones aren't a problem, and I will look for the ones you recommend. I also agree that a class is best and I should look into them again: I had already done that a while ago and none of them were convenient, but my schedule is much more flexible now! Smile
And Debbie, thank you so much for the offer, I have sent you an email!
Clotilde.
Alisa

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried many yoga videos and DVD's. My all time favority is the one by Raquel Welch called, Total Beauty & Fitness VHS ~ Raquel Welch, from 1990 or 91. I have searched amazon.com, and find it only in video format. Which I have! If we know someone with a writeable DVD machine, we can copy it for you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: