Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Christmas in Paris!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Paris & France
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pesto Man

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

everyone thanks for your thoughtful replies, they are most useful

Debbie check your personal messages....finished your Christmas shopping already? I won't even start until I get there (I think that's when the yuletime spirit will hit..too much to accomplish until then, and besides Temp. has been in the mid 80's its too hot to get in the spirit Sad

Chicago Bear, or is that "ours de Chicago" thanks for the input especially about the debit card....but they drink wine in Paris? who'da thunk it?

Bill thanks for the encouragement and advice, and for confirming what i suspected about the shuttle....
once again thanks everyone

and how about some creative suggestions for parisian CHristmas reading material?
melinda

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings from a fellow New Orleanian (who happens to live in VA)....use ATM's but check with your bank as some banks have agreements or partnerships with banks en France & you won't get charged one of the extra fees (there r a lot) for changing $$....in our case Bank of America & Paribas, so we used those machines...and if you're afraid to use the phone...very scary pour moi aussi, maybe u can pass by the restaurant & go in person during the day to make reservations......you probably want to check the place out anyway....I hope all of this unrest is over by Xmas as my daughter is going right after xmas too.....We had a bit of trouble finding the air france bus as due to construction at CDG I think they have changed or eliminated the sinage.....so we asked several times before we hauled our always too heavy suitcases around.....so just get a bare minimum of $$ exchanged at the airport(or before u go...both r bad)...enuf for the ride into town, and save rest for atms in town .. enjoy
Debbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to agree with the "bonjour!" comment from Bill. The French have very good manners - contrary to popular belief - and will always show you the courtesy of greeting you when you walk in the door.

Saying Merci and s'il vous plait is also essential - but then it is just good manners anyway. Wink

Being polite does get you a long way. Being impolite or ignorant (as in not knowing - not as in rude) gets you nothing.

I can't imagine most of the people on this site being rude or impolite anyway. Look at how nicely we all play together! Laughing
Pesto Man

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well this is it!!! We are starting packing in earnest, (wouldn't a suitcase be less messy Laughing , I mean did anyone even ask this earnest fellow? Wink )

I will have access to my friend's computer, so I will try to keep up with this blog, and perhaps send an update or 2, but I wanted to take this time to thank everyone for their thoughtful and sage advice. THis portends to be a truly magical holiday, and much of the magic will stem from the friendships I have made on this board

OHHHHH! (I almost forgot) if there are any last minute tips, suggestions, or insights...NOW would be the time to post them Very Happy
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am so jealous, I have two more months till my trip. When you get back I want the full report!

"It's hot ham water."
David

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HAVE A BLAST PESTO MAN!!
Barbara

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a great time PestoMan
lpennin104

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:12 am    Post subject: Christmas in Paris Reply with quote

Two of my favorite street markets are at Bastille-Richard Lenoir is the largest in Paris and amazing to see. It occurs on Thursdays and Sundays. Just down the road from Bastille on Faubourg St Antoine, then in a little, is place d'Aligre. This market is open everyday but Monday and it feels more authentic to me, like markets were in times past. There is a fabulous covered market here as well with buchuries, cheese sellers, Italian specialties and gourmet olive oil decanted into bottles. I also met a man there with a fruit and vegetable store who in the the Guiness World Book of Records for the largest display using fruit and veggies-a map of France, I think, on a football field. He has a scrapebook of photos of all of his work which is fun and that he is very proud of. Then you can go to nearby Baron Bouge for a glass of wine. They decant wine into bottle there from huge barrels. It's a fun funky place on 1 r Théophile Roussel.
Linda
www.lindamathieu.com
Pesto Man

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:22 am    Post subject: WE MADE IT!!!!!!!!!!! Reply with quote

...and love it, still getting our bearings, and recovering from Jet Lag, Our hosts leave from the U.S tommorow am so until then we are staying close and concentrating on on learning the ins and outs of the apartment (and le chat) but of what I have seen so far I love it!!!!!! Thanks to everyone for their advice and friendship
happenstance

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Pesto Man! I am so glad you are having a good time. My boyfriend and I will be arriving there the 19th for a good stay as well.

Happy travels, eating, exploring and all that good stuff. You deserve it after all you have been through this year.

Cheers,

Sharing her home with Rimsky the cat, Cody the partner, and 9 happy hens.

:>
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
jenjen

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:57 pm    Post subject: enjoy, enjoy, enjoy Reply with quote

Hey Pesto Man -

Just note to wish you the best of holidays ever!
Hope you get to see and eat everything your heart desires

Thinking of you Laughing Cool Laughing
David

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bienvenue a Paris mon ami!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Paris & France All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: