Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Shopping in Paris, for delivery to Paris, from US; help!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Paris & France
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sugarloafer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 2:34 pm    Post subject: Shopping in Paris, for delivery to Paris, from US; help! Reply with quote

My daughter is spending the year in Paris and I would like to be able to purchase gifts for her from stores in Paris for delivery to her. Since she is on a limited budget I thought some unusual food & beverage items might be a nice treat. Movies or music might be a possibility, or some unusual gifts. I have had no luck finding businesses which can do this (unfortunately my inability to speak French is hampering my search.) Any suggestions?
Sugarloafer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 10:55 pm    Post subject: Nice vegetarian restaurant, perhaps? Reply with quote

To answer my own post and add a thought: her boyfriend will be visiting over Christmas and perhaps we could arrange for a nice meal for two at a vegetarian restaurant (or restaurant with vegetarian entrees.) She lives on Boulevard Picpus.

Thanks!
melinda

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would just give him a visa gift card & let them choose the place
Monica

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For friends in other countries, I have often visited the websites of stores I know they like, or large department stores. There is often an English side of the site. You can usually contact customer service, via email, and ask if you may purchase a gift card with your credit card and have them post it within the country for you. It's a lot easier than buying items that need packaging and shipping. I don't have recommendations for Paris, but perhaps a litte web-surfing will get you some more help. Just another possibility.
creampuff

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I no longer have the specifics, but Galeries de Lafayette definitely has an English site and an email that you can use to contact customer service.
I got an English language answer to my question, so it could be a place to start. (The store has a wonderful food court if you get her a gift certificate there.)

You might contact Paule at Promenades de Gourmand (I'm sure I got the spelling wrong on that one, she's mentioned in the forum topic on cooking schools) or Rosa Jackson (who has the food walks business) to be your agent for a fee.

My own inclination would be to send a check or arrange for a gift card.

Good luck
David

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sugarloafer, hope this comes to you in time! Pim of Chez pim gives a very good review of a vegan restaurant in Paris.

Green Garden
20 Rue Nationale
Metro: Porte d'Ivri
13th arrondisement

And on top of apparently having good South Asian food the price comes to about 15 Euro a person!!
fannie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Sugarloafer,

I would second David's recommendation on the vegan restaurant. Here is the link to Pim's review:

http://chezpim.typepad.com/blogs/2005/12/green_garden_re.html

I salivated throughout her post and am planning on trying the restaurant soon!

Another veggie option is the restaurant :
Le Grenier de Notre Dame
18 Rue de la Bucherie, 75005
tel# 01 43 29 98 29,
Metro Maubert-Mutualite

I found this restaurant in a very funny way. When I was in my second year of French in high school (10 years ago!) we had the obligatory section on learning to speak to a waiter and ordering food. In our book was a list of restaurants with addresses in Paris and a description of the food they offered. The Grenier de Notre Dame was one of the restaurants listed and I chose it for my in-class skit since I was a vegetarian at the time. That spring our French teacher offered to take 10 students to Paris for spring break and I had the opportunity to go (for my first time!!). My friends and I thought it would be funny to see if the restaurant really existed. You can imagine our delight when we saw the restaurant's sign in a little alleyway across the Seine from Notre Dame. I haven't been back to the restaurant since -- but the food was great!

Other ideas would be to purchase a UGC or Mk2 movie gift card (UGC and Mk2 are movie theater companies) which are available at the box office at the movie theater and come in 5 or 7 movies.

When I was a student studying abroad in Paris I really missed certain things from home that we couldn't get in Paris or that were cost prohibitve to buy--- like peanut butter, Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, microwave popcorn, ranch dressing etc. I always asked my parents for these items in care packages(and still ask visitors from the US to bring them to me!) Just a thought!

Just a word of advice: few merchants in France have online stores and for those that do exist, one often needs a credit card issued by a French bank in order to purchase from their sites.

Cheers
Fannie

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Paris & France All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: