Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Beautiful Cookbooks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Resources
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trilobyte

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 4:01 am    Post subject: Beautiful Cookbooks Reply with quote

I am a sucker for cookbooks and I especially love cookbooks that are fun to read and beautiful to look through, as well as delicious to cook from. The best cookbooks, I feel, are the ones that include commentary about the recipes. The commentary can be personals stories, histories or a simple description of how the dish tastes or what type of meal/wine/beer it goes well with. And of course gorgeous photographs are a must. As an amateur cook, photographs help me visualize, or I guess they do the visualizing for me, what the final product should look like. More importantly, I just love looking at photographs of really good-looking food and the places they are served.

My favorite cookbook is Kaffeehaus: Exquisite Desserts from the Classic Cafés of Vienna, Budapest, and Prague written by Rick Rodgers and photographed by Kelly Bugden. This is a fantastic book. It’s full of gorgeous photographs of the exquisite desserts as well as the coffee houses that sell them. Each recipe has a short paragraph describing the history of the pastry and selected recipes have extended descriptions. Each chapter begins with several pages describing the historical, social and cultural significance of the coffee houses in Vienna, Budapest, and Prague (Vienna requires a license to be called a coffee house). I had never thought much about traveling to Vienna, Budapest or Prague before I read this book, but now they are all at the top of my “to travel” list.

Which “pretty” cookbooks does everyone else love?
Pesto Man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if not the prettiest, by far my most artistic cookbook is les Diners de Gala by Salvador Dail, (yes that Dali) filled with his own illustrations and fantastic recipies like Oasis Leek Pie (garnished with a whole leek trimmed to resemble a palm tree) and mussles surprise (which open themselves up as you present them tableside) really blurs the distinction betweern art and cook-book

published in 1973 it may be unique in the annals of "cookbookdom" and has special place in my collection
trilobyte

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your Dali book reminds me of a cookbook I bought as a birthday present for my sister several years ago. I believe it's called Van Gogh’s Table and it highlights the food Van Gogh ate at a café/inn near Paris as well as the art work he produced while there. Like I said I don’t own it, but what I remember was fabulous.
Barbara

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Van Gogh's Table is from a series. I have Renoirs Table and I adore it.
VictoriaLH

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my "Naples at Table" by Arthur Schwartz. It is not beautiful, but a very fun read, as it details history and trivia about the recipes he includes, as well as what a real Neopolitan should have in their larder. Even shows Sophia Loren eating spaghetti with her famous quote alluding to her figure "Everything you see, I owe to pasta! " Take that, Atkins diet!
saltshaker

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My personal favorite cookbook, solely on looks, Jean-Louis Palladin's Cooking with the Seasons. A very close second is the Tetsuya's cookbook from his restaurant in Sydney.
Barbara

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Tetsuya's book. Tetsuya collects art and his book reflects his love of the artistic. We dined at his Sydney restaurant recently and while Bryan was paying the bill the maitre'd gave me a tour of the restaurant explaining the various works on the walls.
saltshaker

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't it just a stunning restaurant? I really think that it's probably the "handsomest" dining room I've ever been in. It's also the best meal I've ever had, and I'm a chef who travels all over the world.
Judy

Location: buried under a pile of books somewhere in Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to C&Z, saltshaker. Love your blog, and I really enjoyed your article about Exploring South Australia in Passport magazine - it sums up Adelaide and SA very well.

www.cupcakerecipebook.com.au
Barbara

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi saltshaker and welcome to CnZ. I agree it is a fabulous space and the best meal I've ever eaten in a restaurant.
jenjen

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:25 am    Post subject: Tetsuya Reply with quote

I haven't been to Tetsuya's as yet (I am Melb based) BUT I have cooked nearly every recipe in the book!

Not only is it gorgeous, but all the recipes have been tested and adapted for home cooks - how lucky we all are to have him!
saltshaker

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judy,

Thanks for the compliments on the blog and the article! Glad to be aboard rather than just lurking in the background reading posts.
Monica

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone got Frida's Fiestas? One of my favorites! It was written in part by Frida Kahlo's stepdaughter and is filled with beautiful photos - of the dishes, her house and her artwork. The recipes are how my grandmother and aunts prepared them, authentic and delicious. I have relatives near Frida's home and it's a wonderful addition to my library of cookbooks and memories!
saltshaker

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a copy Monica, it really is another great coffeetable book, plus recipes you can really use!
me

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 4:31 am    Post subject: It's so hard... Reply with quote

... to find a cookbook that fulfills all 3 requirements! :)

For example, I think Charlie Trotter's cookbooks are beautiful to look at. The photographs are mouthwatering and inspiring. But they don't all have great, detailed stories behind the recipes, nor do I necessarily find the recipes easy to cook from.

I love reading How to Eat by Nigella Lawson. The stories behind the recipes, as well as the story-like format of (many of) the recipes make for great reading. I also love the Silver Palate cookbooks for pure reading pleasure (I love the sidebars of information). Plus, the recipes in both are quite easy to follow. However, both are lacking in terms of beautiful photography, although Silver Palate does have the fun black & white illustrations.

However, I'm very intrigued about Kaffeehaus... and, I must admit, kind of hungry :) I hope I can get a copy to skim through.

Cheers,
:) Shoma
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Resources All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: