Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Hold Tight!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Pesto Man,

As the days unfold I have learned of new tragedy unfolding in Lousiana and reaching up here in Long Island. Many people from my husband's shop are being deployed to Lousiana to aide in the disaster while the rest of us are spending our time trying to gather as much money as possible. I am glad to know that you are safe my heart goes out to you. As another asked do you know of any specific place our money is needed that is more dyer that another?

"It's hot ham water."
Pesto Man

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erin, from a distance, and only connected by this internet link, it is impossible to tell...there is so much needed by so many

Thanks for your wishes and for you efforts to help

Btw if your husband, meets up with a Commander Jimmy Duckworth (not positive about the rank) he is an old family friend on active duty with the "Coasties" since 911 tell him Paul & Pamela Arceneaux sais hello
Erin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You got it Pesto Man.

"It's hot ham water."
Rainey

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, Pesto Man!- Thanks for checking back with me at a time when you have your own concerns and loss to deal with.

It seems so difficult to know where to focus when there's soooo much loss and misery and tragedy and hideous neglect to absorb.

At the time I asked, I presumed help would come to those in need. Now the weight of death and loss and dereliction is so overwhelming that a lovely zoo and art and antiques and a beautiful city steeped in history seem inconsequential. But how can they be? This is all just too much to comprehend!
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darlings All...

at times no words

at other times I remember ...the power of thought..

the immense power of thought..

the energy of thought..

my thoughts, as strong as I can imagine...filled with hope..I send

the energy of love

a time to hug America and its aching heart
Pesto Man

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madameshawnshank thanks for the hug, feel warmer already, Very Happy

Rainey, actually it gave me something to do instead of worry Cool

Almost a week into the "adventure" we are beginning to settle into our refugee lifestyle. The sister-in-law, has cleared out the spare bedroom, and thankfully through this internet link we are beginning to get a picture of what is happening. Our residence seems to be (relatively) ok, from what we can tell we SHOULD be in a dry area, and isolated from the looting, of course only a site inspection can confirm this. Starting tommorow some folks will be allowed back in for a "look see" and perhaps we will get a better idea of the situation.

The garden may have fared better than I hoped, it is at least drier than I first feared, the area was/is dangerous due to looting and armed thugs,
but I doubt basil was high on their priority list.

Little by little, reports from friends and colleagues are beginning to trickle in. My wife's library, (in the french quarter) seems to be in one piece, only minor damage, and a conversation with the director, confirmed that she is still employed Laughing
The horror and tradgey, is lessened, by scores of acts of kindness, a local church group combed the area, for cars with La. tags (we are not alone here) and left an invitation for a church supper on our windshield, we intend to go and hopefully, will meet up with fellow "expats"

Please keep the posts flowing in folks - they mean more than you can ever guess.
Rainey

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pesto Man wrote:
The horror and tradgey, is lessened, by scores of acts of kindness, a local church group combed the area, for cars with La. tags (we are not alone here) and left an invitation for a church supper on our windshield, we intend to go and hopefully, will meet up with fellow "expats"

What a creative and resourceful act of kindness! I'm guessing there will be a tear or two as the impact takes hold but I hope there are smiles as well.

Did you say you were in Hattiesburg, Miss? I thought that area was pretty hard-hit too...

I have tagged my contribution to the Red Cross in your name 'cause you're the only individual in NO that I "know" but if it helps someone, it will be through you.
Pesto Man

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rainey, Just got back from the dinner, and it was a truly heart-warming experience...The food was classic "curch social" southern... composed salads.casseroles, Mac&Cheese, fried chicken, a whole tables of deserts, and gallons of sweet tea to wash it down!

If there was a problem it was that it was hard to concentrate on eating because so many folks stopped by to wish us well Surprised

Afterwards the evacuees (more pc than refugees) met in a classroom, about 15 of us and we had a heartwarming and constructive "group therapy" session

Later found out that local church choirs plan a concert with all proceeds going to to relief efforts. all in all a most inspiring day

Rainey I feel most honored to mentioned in your contribution!!

Yes, Hattisburg was hard hit. when we left on Tues pm we had been without
lights A/c and water for over 24 hours, but at least we could escape! and luckly we had thought to "top off" the gas tank on Sunday as it wasn't until we hid Demopolis Alabama that we could get a refill or indeed even saw widespread electricity! Well the worst is past now and in spite of Mr Hastert, we will rebuild!!!
Erin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just spent the day at fund raiser number one, selling cookies and hamburgers for the sake of the refugee's. When people found out what the money was for they paid $20.00 for a $1.00 burger. It is so wonderful despite the tragedy at hand to see the beauty in people coming to the surface.

Hugs Pesto Man!

"It's hot ham water."
Pesto Man

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erin (and everybody) thanks for your acts of kindness and charity!!!

At last things are looking up, got confirmation from a daughter of a neighbor who stayed that our apartment (and belongings) are high, dry, and untampered with!! There is still so much to do but at least it can be done from a secure home base and we do not have to replace everything

The other good news is that we may still make Paris for Christmas!
lots of work to do, but we're strong and determined
Erin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh thank goodness! I hope you are able to return home soon.

"It's hot ham water."
Pesto Man

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 4:41 am    Post subject: GOING HOME!!!!!!!!!! Reply with quote

Just found out, that our area will be cleared for general return, on Wed. the 21st, Man am I planning to be in that number!!! not quite sure what challenges are awaiting....but raring to go!!!!! thanks for everybod's prayers and goodwishes, please keep them comming as we will still need them!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
madameshawshank

Location: Penrith (where jacarandas remind me of change), New South Wales, Australia

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New Orleans will be all the richer for your return Pesto Man...with your energy and fine spirit the city will be invigorated...am sure of it..

New Orleans Haiku

smorgasbord you are
see! the gamut of emotions
sax given moments

PM ~ I wish you and all those others returning ...to clean up...to rebuild..to wonder a bit....all those...and those not to return..all those...I wish all energy for what comes along...

hugs from Oz
Deste

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hear! Hear!
Barbara

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeanne at World on a Plate has an interesting essay on the effect of Katrina on art and music because of a blending of Cajun and Creole resulting from where artists are temporarily living. It will be interesting to how the food of the two regions evolve aslo.
http://www.worldonaplate.org/world_on_a_plate/2005/09/recipe_for_heal.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: