Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index >> Back to Chocolate & Zucchini <<

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages 
 RSS feedLast posts feed   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Hold Tight!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rainey

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 5:26 am    Post subject: Hold Tight! Reply with quote

Can't remember if anyone who reads here is from New Orleans/Louisiana or Mississippi. I'm hoping everyone there gets to safe ground and returns to find things in good or salvageable order.

Such a lovely, venerable, vulnerable city! Hold tight and be safe!!!
Rainey

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope Sarape will be OK too. I take it Alabama is now expecting to take a hit as well.
brighidsdaughter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK, only Pesto Man & Sarape may be in the wake of the hurricane & its aftermath. I've been watching news since before dawn & looks horrible! My dearest friend moved to NE Mississippi a couple of weeks ago & I was hoping for a report, but his cell service seems to be out.

PM & Sarape, (any others also) hope y'all are safe!
Barbara

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I hope you are safe too. I saw the footage on TV last night and it looked fierce - and that was only the edge of the storm.
monkey

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my friend who was to be cooking for a long retreat i am organizing has assumed his super hero identity as "red cross hurricane disaster volunteer" and headed off to louisiana. through him, i have learned about how the red cross prepares and works through these natural disasters. i am amazed and so grateful for such highly trained volunteers who drop everything, roll up their sleeves and get to work out in the field for long hours and no compensation.

so, i am cook-less for my dallas retreat, but i'm secure in the knowledge that people who are victims of this storm will be well cared by my friend. that's some comfort until i hear from my friends in new orleans and mississippi. and obsessing about finding cook last minute is distracting from constantly worrying about my friends. there... that's worked out well now hasn't it?

nothing brings primates together like a good snack!
www.TheresAMonkeyInTheKitchenAndHesGotAKnife.com
Erin

Location: Within view of Elliot Bay, The Olympics and every ship in the Sound

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am glad to see this topic already posted.

I really would like to encourage everyone to do whatever they can to help the victims of the hurricane in any way possible. I am working on a Coast Guard fundraiser to help the members who were effected.

My husband came home from work yesterday and told me about a fellow "Coastie" who's house had been totally wiped out, no car no nothing except the one uniform he was wearing. At that point he still hadn't stopped to rest or even feel sorry for himself, but kept hard at work rescuing stranded citizens from the water. People like him and people who are so poor they can barely feed themselves on a good day need the rest of us to help.

"It's hot ham water."
monkey

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a few resources on my site for those who would like to help or need help. http://www.himonkey.net there is a link near the top of the page in red. i hope it helps.

Pesto Man

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

now that we are settling intoa refugee lifestyle, (a week? 2? a month?)

The entire scope of this tradgey is only now becoming apparent, the flooding, destruction, death and despair are almost overwhelming!!!

As we struggle to make contact with friends, neighbors, and co-workers, there is the increasing certainty that some have not survived!!

I post this not to seek sympathy, but to beg all of you, from all over the world, to please help!!!!!!!! send what ever you can donate to the red cross, your church, collect old clothes....they(we) need a lot of everything!

We are in no immediate danger, and are lucky enough to have family putting us up. In south Georgia (thomasville) I cannot begin to describe the warm feeling we get when we see collections being taken for relief!!

sorry for the preaching, but this is at least something do to help my friends and neighbors
Sarape

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a report from someone in downtown Atlanta who said the homeless shelters are filled, the hotels are filled, and many people have escaped New Orleans to stay in Atlanta.

Things in Atlanta and Houston may be permanently affected by this disaster in New Orleans. I suspect many people will never return to NO.
monkey

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we have a lot of displaced people here in the dallas area. reunion arena has been converted to a shelter by the red cross. many hospices evacuated to the dallas area as well. it is quite heartwarming to see the way this city has pulled together to help those in need. why does it take such devestation to bring out the best in people?

bluedog

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pesto Man, do you know of a local charity where used clothing can be sent? The Red Cross does not accept clothing donations (only massive from manufactureres to off set administrative costs), but my children's school is trying to do something that the children can feel they contributed to. Any ideas?
rebecca

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a great way for us foodies to support Hurricane Katrina disaster relief: the National Restaurant Association and the Red Cross are sponsoring a "Dine for America" event on October 5th of this year. For more details go here:

http://www.restaurant.org/katrina/restaurantfinder/dineforamerica_form.cfm
monkey

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluedog wrote:
...The Red Cross does not accept clothing donations ...Any ideas?

try the local red cross chapter, they may accept items that will be used after the acute phase has passed. also, the local chapters of salvation army. also http://www.craigslist.com/about/help/katrina_aid.html has some resources. one thing that might be nice for school children to do is to donate books for the children. a book or a small stuffed animal can mean the world to a person in a time of crisis.

Pesto Man

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue Dog, wow what a great idea......wow what a tough question Embarassed
Bridge House, St Vincent DePaul, and Voulnteers of America, are all local and active charaties, but not being there I have no idea of knowing what condition they are in and if they are in a position to accept goods...

As best as we can tell Jefferson Parish schools (surburban New Orleans) will start in October, with split schedules to accomodate destroyed schools
(christmas vacation will be a 3 day weekend!) I am friends with a principal of a local grammar school, perhaps we could set up an exchange of letters , cards, gifts,? Once I get back I am sure I could help set it up.

Of course, that assumes my getting back, the school being there, and indeed my friend still being alive!! Crying or Very sad I will let you know when I have a better Idea

I want thank all of you for your support, Rebecca the dining out seems like a great Idea!! please folks, eat til it hurts Twisted Evil
on a strange note it feels strange not to reach in the wallet every time I see a relief collection, I have to keep reminding myself that I am one of the victums they are collecting for Surprised
Pesto Man

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rainey, In amswer to your earlier question concerning the zoo, the following was found on a assement of area museums (my wife is a reference librarian @ a local museum)

Audubon Nature Institute (as of 8-31). AZA reports that the staff of the Audubon
Nature Institute is safe. The physical plants at both the Zoo and the Aquarium
suffered little damage. The staff will continue to assess the impact on the
animal collections at all Audubon facilities. The Audubon Center for Research of
Endangered Species (ACRES) lost one whooping crane but the remaining animals at
the facility are fine. The area has not been flooded but there are some leaks at
the Research Center. Four animal keepers were flown in by helicopter. At
present, they do not need food or water.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chocolate & Zucchini Forum Index -> Other things All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: